Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2007 FWR Steelhead Derby Day Report, January 14th  (Read 19171 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
2007 FWR Steelhead Derby Day Report, January 14th
« on: January 14, 2007, 06:33:31 AM »

Derby Prize List & Sponsors | Original Derby Discussion | Derby Photos

Just got back from delivering the draw tickets To Rick at Tim Hortons. Was good to see a good turnout, with a number of old and new faces there. Of course I took some good natured ribbing about last nights hockey game and Rick even gave me a DNE float with a Canuck Logo on it. ;D

With this bad cold it was wise for me not to fish but plan to go up later to deliver a vat of coffee, some donuts and prizes.

The weather is cold,-10 but no wind at the present so I am sure some nice fish will be caught.

Thanks to Rick and others who have done a great job organizing the derby and to the many who have donated prizes.

While they fish I will have to spend time in bed to try and get rid of this cold, dream about the fish they will catch and the Leafs loss last night :'( :'(.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 04:51:49 PM by Rodney »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: FWR Steelhead Derby Underway
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 08:50:39 AM »

Too bad about the cold. :(

How many people did you see this morning? :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 10:15:12 AM »

Too bad about the cold. :(

How many people did you see this morning? :)
I was there for only a short time right at 6 and it was a hub of activity with people buying their tickets, bringing prizes, getting coffee and giving me a bad time about the hockey game. ;D

I think I saw at least 25 people but they were coming and going in the 10 minutes I was there.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 12:12:17 PM »

Good luck to everyone out there today. I sure wish I could be there with you guys.  ;)
Actions speak louder than words.

taffydoll

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 03:34:40 PM »

I just got in from the derby and had a great time around the well needed fire!!!  Great food, thank you to everyone that brought stuff!!  It was also nice to put some faces to names.  I won't go into detaill about who won the derby, I will let that person tell the story ;)  Nice Fish!! Great to see how much was raised for such a good cause.  We should do this more often!!! Not just in the winter time :)!!!!!

Sandy

Hook Set

Re: 2007 FWR Steelhead Derby Day Report, January 14th
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 03:39:06 PM »

Well it was a great day on the river. Thank you to Thick Rick for putting on this derby and to every one else that donated prizes, food and gave upo their day to help out.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 03:41:15 PM »

Sandy, I'm sitting in a dark room at 12:40am, can you at least tell me how many people attended and how many fish were landed? ;D :'(

Good to hear that things went well so far. :)

If any of you have photos, please email to info@fishingwithrod.com and I will post them up in the derby album.

Thanks,

Rod
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 03:44:59 PM by Rodney »

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 03:58:55 PM »

Sorry i couldn't make it. Slept through my alarm, not that i would have got up if i woke up. Was to hung over to fish lol. Can't wait to hear reports and see some pics.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 04:08:24 PM »

He absolutely deserves it, but now we have to listen to that until next January. ;) Congratulations Rick, for not just catching the winning fish, but for putting together an impressive event that both entertained all and benefits the Chilliwack River. Well done!

FF, just PMed you regarding photos.

taffydoll

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 04:11:17 PM »

Sorry Rod, I thought Rick would like to tell his story!!  Rick and Chris let us folks that did not sign up to fish buy tix for the draw so there was extra $$$ going to the cause.  My friend Dean brought in the 17.1 fish to get it weighed, he did not know about the derby.  He may even join FWR :) He bought a ticket and won some fishing boots, it sure was his lucky day!!!
 Lots of great prizes were handed out to lots of folks.  I tried to get Dean to lend me his fish so I could have been a late entry with it :) LOL

Hope you are enjoying your trip Rod.

Sandy

Sandy, I'm sitting in a dark room at 12:40am, can you at least tell me how many people attended and how many fish were landed? ;D :'(

Good to hear that things went well so far. :)

If any of you have photos, please email to info@fishingwithrod.com and I will post them up in the derby album.

Thanks,

Rod

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 04:16:20 PM »

was an awesome event, big thanks to Rick and those who supplied the food and helped organize, also a really big thanks to Highwater tackle, Searun fly and tackle, Hatch matchers, Riverside fly and tackle, Steveston marine, and all others who graciously donated all the great prizes.

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 04:18:26 PM »

the Dean fellow sure was lucky, before he caught that huge hatchery fish I watched him land a nice looking wild around 10lbs.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 04:22:11 PM »

Don't forget all the Maple Leaf floats that a lucky angler won. ;D I wonder if he will admit who he is. ;D ;D

nosey

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 04:52:28 PM »

Good event,we had a good time it raised a lot of money for a good cause, good for Rick.
I caught this nice wild one around nine in the morning.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 04:53:23 PM »

Some photos are now available at:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/2007-steelhead-derby

The following photos are taken by lucky.