Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Riverside Cabins Going Down  (Read 9928 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Riverside Cabins Going Down
« on: January 08, 2007, 04:08:20 PM »

First it was the Riverside Restaurant that was demolished a few days ago now the tenants of the cabins are cleaning out their stuff today as the dozen cabins are going to be flattened tomorrow.

Originally they were to be for fisherman to stay in but they turned into something else. I wonder what will replace all this now. It is such a beautiful setting for a modern day restaurant and hotel but getting loans, permits etc. would be difficult being so close to the river that in a highwater event the area is always threatened.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
Re: Riverside Cabins Going Down
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 04:26:45 PM »

Lots of garbage down there. Going into the river.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 04:43:22 PM »

Photos posted for Chris. Log in to view.

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 05:05:59 PM »

Shame to see the cabins and restaurant go, wonder why they were so poorly missmanaged. I don't think there is a better location on the river for fishermans accommodations and a restaurant, I remember eating breakfast there a few times thinking that it could be a goldmine. Just hope a developer hasn't bought the land up to throw in some condos ::).

allwaysfishin

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 05:13:53 PM »

i think it would be cool to see the spot turned into a park setting, picnic tables and maybe lease out spots for a portable vendor... like a burger stand on wheels or something. I'm sure any condo type development would be in the same boat as far as insurance due to high water events... at least let's hope so

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 05:43:05 PM »

No, these are the ones by the Vedder Crossing Bridge.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 07:03:59 PM »

Lots of history there at the old kypers cafe... Was the property sold?

I remember weighing in many a steelhead there, with photos with them out front... Ah, memories!

The most notable story was one morning, while fishing with a friend of my dad's who will remain nameless...

We were fishing steelhead along the back of tamihi, right behind the old ways field, and we came upon this hole... In not more than 15 minutes, the three of us hooked 5 steelhead, and dad and I had brought in ours to be weighed.

We had decided to keep it quiet, and named the spot the helicopter hole for future reference.

Well we walked up the stairs, and he flings open the door only to exclaim "I JUST HAD THE BEST 15 MINUTES OF STEELHEADING IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!"

Well all of the guys sitting quietly eating breakfast dropped their forks, put down their coffee and spun around. You could have heard a pin drop in that place!

Needless to say, the next morning, vehicles were crawling in slow motion up and down the backroad, of course the recognized our trucks. And our hole that was built for 4 turned into a hole built for 8...

By the morning after that, there were 17 guys in that hole, and none of them were us.

This story is one of the many reasons I don't fish with many people, it's just too dangerous :)

Long live Kypers... Good times!
Nicole

"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 07:12:02 PM »

Lots of history there at the old kypers cafe... Was the property sold?

I remember weighing in many a steelhead there, with photos with them out front... Ah, memories!

The most notable story was one morning, while fishing with a friend of my dad's who will remain nameless...

We were fishing steelhead along the back of tamihi, right behind the old ways field, and we came upon this hole... In not more than 15 minutes, the three of us hooked 5 steelhead, and dad and I had brought in ours to be weighed.

We had decided to keep it quiet, and named the spot the helicopter hole for future reference.

Well we walked up the stairs, and he flings open the door only to exclaim "I JUST HAD THE BEST 15 MINUTES OF STEELHEADING IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!"

Well all of the guys sitting quietly eating breakfast dropped their forks, put down their coffee and spun around. You could have heard a pin drop in that place!

Needless to say, the next morning, vehicles were crawling in slow motion up and down the backroad, of course the recognized our trucks. And our hole that was built for 4 turned into a hole built for 8...

By the morning after that, there were 17 guys in that hole, and none of them were us.

This story is one of the many reasons I don't fish with many people, it's just too dangerous :)

Long live Kypers... Good times!
Nicole

Is it that the reason they block the back road ? :D :D :D :D :D

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 01:31:41 AM »

Lots of junk around those cabins, a bunch of it ends up back in the River. >:(
The Bigger The Better!

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 05:14:54 PM »

I saw these 'cabins' for the first time on Saturday morning. It was like the fu*&in' dawn of the dead or something. Creepy weirdos poking their heads out of one room shacks that are in a state of absolute disrepair. I have seen some run down trailer parks in my lifetime but I couldn't even frickin' believe it. As we arrived there and got out of the car, a guy ripped into the middle of the 'cabins' courtyard with his Honda Civic, proceeded to do 5 or 6 donuts in the mud slough right there in the courtyard, picked up some scabby broad and floored it out of there shooting mud and trash all over the place. The look the woman gave me as they burned by us made my spine shiver. Then, some coolio pulls up with a crap eating grin on his face and offers us some 'bait' he is selling. Considering the place and time and that fact there was no fishing gear in his vehicle, we declined as I didnt recall crack rocks working on any type of fish other than greasy ones. We had been there no more than 20 minutes at this point. I felt embarrassed that I was fishing in such a location and vowed to never hit that place again. Now that the cabins will be destroyed and the heaps of dirty grocery bags and smashed up televisions will be removed I think that place will be much better off and will consider going back to that spot.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 05:17:19 PM by coryandtrevor »
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 05:19:12 PM »

The only problem is that they will probably move elsewhere on the river. :(

darmin

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 08:24:24 PM »

correct me if im wrong I seem to  recall  Helmers running that restaurant years back that place had some history all right I can remember going in there for breakfast in the seventies there were some good stealheaders around back then yep some good memories all right

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 09:03:15 PM »

I believe you are right.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 02:11:32 AM »

I'm posting these photos for Lew, who will be sharing his story later on. These photos were taken in 1961.

BCSteelheader

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 05:16:00 AM »

cool... 8)
"Catch & Release" by SG