Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Riverside Cabins Going Down  (Read 9922 times)

darmin

Re: Riverside Cabins Going Down
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 07:30:17 AM »

yeah those are some cool pics was looking for my Grandpa amongst the crowd but cant make faces out now I think the limit back then was 6 a day  :'(  ponder that for a while

Lew Chater

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 09:19:36 AM »

Thanks for posting my pictures Rodney.
That area certainly has good memories for me. In the second picture, I lived in the house at the top right hand corner of the picture in l946 and when the present bridge was being built in 1948.

The first derby I saw at the Riverside Resort was in l945. It was owned at that time by Bill Simpson, and had some quite nice cabins out behind the store. There were also several other cabins along the roadside heading up the hill. Good friends of mine owned the Resort in l961, family name Taylor.

Helmers were several owners later and I believe were the owners when it burned down.

The original Resort had a nice little hall, that you can see the doors opening into in the first picture. Many social events and dances held in there.

In the second picture you can see the tops of the gas pumps that you had to hand pump to fill the glass containers with the gallons marked on the side of the glass. I recall that gas was about 35 cents / gal.
The first derbies you could not use your cars, and each fisherman had to have a "judge-witness", accompany him to make sure all the fishing rules and etiquette were followed. At the time of the pictures you were allowed two fish and of course they were all wild fish.

I know that earlier than that you were allowed 3 fish, but I don't recall a limit of 6 as in Darmin's reply, but that could have been the case much earlier than the forties.

The fellow with the trophy in the third picture is a friend of mine, but the trophy is not for the Kingfish, maybe second or best club member. That is me in the light coat looking on with envy, as I didn't have any in that derby. I did win the Junior section in 1953.

The cabins that are being torn down now were moved ealier, can't remember the year, from Cultus Lake.
As Nicole said, Kypers ran a good cafe when it was rebuilt, but it never had the same atmosphere as the old Riverside Resort.

It is a shame to see this area so run down and shabby, as the location is a jewel of a spot with lots of history. It would be nice to see some kind of restaurant, fishing associated business go in there to maintain the long standing history of this great spot.

Hope you enjoy the pictures and some of the history of this area.   Lew
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

darmin

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 10:11:41 AM »

you would know much better than I Lew as you experienced it first hand Im just going on what I can remember my grandad telling us anyway you must have some great memories       take care :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 10:40:04 AM »

Very nice stories, just great Lew, thanks for sharing. I hope we can hear more stories from you and pictures too about "the good old days".

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 09:52:22 PM »

More guys in those photos than in a Surrey Mosque. Speaking of Surrey, if that happened here the place would be replaced by a Jiffy Lube, Chevron and a meat/video/cardigan store. I did catch a Steelhead right there once.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 09:57:31 PM »

Man, if those walls can talk. :)

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 07:45:44 AM »

I'm an old guy. It would not be good idea for those walls in the original Riverside Resort to talk.  ;D
"One man of courage makes a majority"

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 08:50:44 AM »

I have good memories of it too Nicole.

I remember fishing across the way from the restraunt and taking a bad step off 'my rock' and going in up almost to my waist. No one ever said anything, but I wonder if anyone was watching and having a good laugh. It probably was a flash of movement as I was in and out and back on 'my rock' in a flash like nothing happened until the cold drove me to my car.  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

eddy

• Sea Lice? What Sea Lice?
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2007, 09:21:23 AM »

Any idea what is happening? Why are the cabins and the old cafe being demolished?
It was a half decent cafe only a few years ago (3 or 4 yrs). It was a great place to pop into for a quick brecky. The guy who ran it was an avid fisher and offered a free breakfast for the first steelhead of the day to be weighed in. The cabins were mainly rented to welfare tenants but were pretty clean. The owner used to claim that John Wayne used stay in one of the cabins in the 1950's. I don't know if that was true or not and but I liked believing that he did.
What a location! I sure something river/fishing friendly will go on this site.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2007, 09:29:52 AM »

I get an incredible feeling when I look at pics like that, make you really wonder what it was like then , makes me wish I could travel back and experience it for myself !!!Thanx for sharing those great moments with us Lew
TR :)

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2007, 09:40:52 AM »

Not to let the cat out of the bag as I do not have all the details of what is going in there but the story will be in the Chilliwack Progress today. ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 09:54:27 AM »

I have good memories of it too Nicole.

I remember fishing across the way from the restaurant and taking a bad step off 'my rock' and going in up almost to my waist. No one ever said anything, but I wonder if anyone was watching and having a good laugh. It probably was a flash of movement as I was in and out and back on 'my rock' in a flash like nothing happened until the cold drove me to my car.  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Yes this was a focal point for what was happening on the Chilliwack Vedder River. I often wondered how many eyes were watching when we were fishing in the vicinity. Many steelhead were caught in view of the peering eyes sitting around the long table. ;D ;D ;D Hopefully the new building that will soon arise from the ashes to start another part of this rivers fabled history. I wonder if we will be able to enter it wearing dirty waders? ???

Who will be the first to have their picture taken with a steelhead in front of the new establishment?

Pictures like Lew has provided are just great, maybe others will have some to post as well. I know I have some but they are quite recent, will dig them up one day.

Lew Chater

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2007, 10:07:41 AM »

Eddy...those cabins were not there in the 50's. They were brought down from Cultus Lake after the Riverside Resort burned down. There used to be cabins behind the Resort but these were also demolished earlier. My dad stored his Model T Ford in one of the sheds behind the resort. I knew most of the people who lived in those original cabins during the 50's and I can pretty well guarantee that John Wayne wasn't one of them.  ;D although it is interesting how stories and legends build up about special areas.

The breakfasts for the first steelhead of the day at the newer building were always good and the menu had names like Steelhead Special etc.
It would be great to be able to stop in there again for a breakfast and coffee!
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2007, 03:46:49 PM »

Not to let the cat out of the bag as I do not have all the details of what is going in there but the story will be in the Chilliwack Progress today. ;D ;D ;D
Article now up on the Chilliwack Progress Web page.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2007, 04:11:07 PM »

Have enjoyed many meals at the Riverside Cafe with my brother and nephew over the years. Nice to be able to eat breakfast without having to take off your waders.