Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why do I like transitional periods, Dec-7  (Read 4740 times)

frenchy

Why do I like transitional periods, Dec-7
« on: December 08, 2006, 11:58:30 AM »

There is not a lot of reports around, so here is a little one.
As the Vedder did not seem to be in good shape I decided to give a try to another flow, mainly to, finally, try the centrepin  :o.
I arrived to see that the river changed a lot since my last visit... Cool, let's go for some exploring. As I start walking, I am really pleased to see that there is not a single human trace in the snow... Salmon season is over, freezers are full and the river is now the birds playground. They are everywhere (I wish I know there names), from the tiny little one that swims in the river to the big bald eagles (I count 26 of them in the trees, without moving), eating the dead, or almost dead, chums.
Even if I know there are probably no steely in the river, I decide to fish like if I was hunting the sea run rainbow... Fish fast, precise, move a lot... Really the way I like to fish. Thanks to the training sessions near the house, I have not too much difficulties to send my float wherever I want. After a dozen of casts, the float goes down and I have my first "centrepin fish", a nice little Dolly (Funny, it is also the first species I caught with my baitcasting setup). Even with this small fish I can see the difference between the baitcatser and the cp, I have a direct contact with the fish, I like it. I continue to move, taking the time to look at the numerous animals traces in the snow. I cross a "bear highway" (a dozen of tracks) it is perhaps the same animal that did all these traces, but it is still impressive... I continue to fish and soon have a second bite, a coho jack in really good shape for the season. It is a hatchery, but I decide to let him go. I soon connect with a more serious fighter... what is it? I will never know, but it did not fight like a chum... I was not really comfortable fighting this guy with the centerpin. I wanted, at the same time, to control the spool with the hand placed above the reel and to move this same hand upper on the cork to have more strength to fight the fish... I guess I need to train a bit more...
A very good and quiet day to be on the river. I wish all the year would be a transitional period... lot of wildlife, some fish, and very few humans...

If you have any tip concerning the fight with a centrepin, they are more than welcome.

Cheers

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Why do I like transitional periods, Dec-7
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 12:03:57 PM »

Nice report Frenchy.   :)  I am glad you had such a relaxing time and was able to play a couple fish.  I might get a centerpin sooner or later. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 12:20:29 PM by Big Steel »
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 12:59:20 PM »

I might get a centerpin sooner or later. Grin Grin

Hey Bigsteel,hope you join in the darkside soon ;)

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 01:03:09 PM »

Picked up a pin this season, love it, can't get nearly the same control with a levelwind.

I'm a noob with the pin as well, the first few fish fought on it were chums, I'm right handed for fihsing, so I had my left hand high on the cork, and used my right hand on the bottom side of the reel, below the reel seat on the rim of the reel. I found this most comfortable since it is similar to how I hold the rod with a mooching rig. Apply pressure with your left hand on the lower rim of the spool to slow the fish.

I could be talking out of my my friend here, but it works for me  ;)
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 01:11:19 PM »

Ok here is some background on me. I am right handed (dominant hand). SO i cast and fight fish with my right hand and reel with my left on all of my setups except my Centrepin. On that rod, i cast faceing the river, with my left hand above the reel my left arm across my body. Slow swing controlling the spool with my pinky finger of my left hand. OR i cast with my right hand holding the rod below the reel, with my index finger controlling the spool. I switch it up as each arm gets fatigued.

As for battling, i tend to hold the rod with my left hand above the reel, like the first casting description above. I will then add pressure by using my right hand above, near the top of the cork, alternating between applying pressure and reeling in line.  If the fish is ripping out line i'll palm it with my right hand. Really i just switch it up alot and do whatever works.

Nice report. Good to hear the rivers are free of heavy pressure.

frenchy

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 03:26:07 PM »

Ok, sounds good, I will try to palm the reel next time,

Thanks

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 03:56:04 PM »

Hype...99% hype...that's all I'm saying :-*

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 04:04:24 PM »

Loooks like you got a hit X!!  Are you gonna set the hook? ;D ;D  I was going to try Freaks last week, but I was having to much fun with my LEVELWIND!!!!  Anyhow, I don't think I will take Freak up on his offer, you guys have no idea what he means by "nice"!!!  Yikes, not a pretty picture!! ;D ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 05:39:18 PM »

Center pins are the only way to drift fish, hands down, no other questons asked.

cohoslayer1

• Bring on the steelhead
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 06:20:41 PM »

callcutta ;D

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 06:39:38 PM »

I don't own a levelwind. I'm hoping for an Islander this Xmas so i have a bigger setup to fish larger rivers like the Vedder.

Ribwart

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2006, 01:45:57 PM »

Nice report Frenchy...

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2006, 05:07:42 PM »

I HAVENT FISHING WITH NE OF MY BEAK CASTERS FOR ABOUT 5 YEARS EXCEPT FOR THE SOCKEYE FOOD FISHERY IN THE SUMMER !

ko

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2006, 09:56:32 AM »

dreat report frenchy, those little birds that you see on the side of the river, are called american dippers, you could watch them all day. there pretty cool. just on the note of your post it seems more guys are interested in talikg about someone joining the dark side. advice for them go to general disscusion, dont ruin someones post and moment to shine becuase they had a good day on they flow , he asked for advice.

Ribwart

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2006, 10:19:14 AM »

I was not really comfortable fighting this guy with the centerpin. I wanted, at the same time, to control the spool with the hand placed above the reel and to move this same hand upper on the cork to have more strength to fight the fish...

Frenchy, you said you picked up
An Islander and a Rainshadow ISA1355
setup...You will become more comfortable with time fighting fish on the pin....That reel is right handed I think isn't it...? I fish with my left hand just above the spool...my fingers can then control the spool, with casting I can just stop the spool with one finger or adjust it's speed with a little applied friction, but when the fish is on, my hand basically stays in the same place, it just kinda wraps around the spool right above the reel...I don't move my hand away from the reel at all, I just drive the butt of the rod into my gut to achieve more leverage on the fish. I think it might depend on how much rod is below the reel. Sometimes setups can be a little short here, and it makes it difficult to achieve this leverage. At the same time when a fish is really movin' I have the rod just in my hands with my right hand on the lower cork and my left still at the reel but also acting as a pivot point. This way I can adjust the angle of the rod to the fish when fighting it...Sideways, higher up, etc, etc...Then when I need to reel up on the fish, I just plant that butt end into my gut again or against my sternum and reel up with my right hand. It's just going to take some time and experience. You'll get used to it...

Like I said, nice report...
Congrats on the fish...
Rib
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 10:21:15 AM by Ribwart »