Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why do I like transitional periods, Dec-7  (Read 4742 times)

coho_killer

Re: Why do I like transitional periods, Dec-7
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2006, 01:20:14 PM »

Level winds are the way to go over any reel! i say this because, can you cast a spoon or spinners and retrieve properly with a CP? NO! Can you bottom bounce with a CP for sockeye or springs? NO! Centerpins also cost way to much over BC'S The only advantage the centerpin has over the baitcaster is you don't get thum burn from trying to slow or stop a fish from running! No compairison! Just my opinion from being an avid baitcaster!

C.K.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 10:56:46 PM by coho_killer »
Wild fish don't do drugs!

frenchy

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2006, 04:41:49 PM »

you are right, these american dippers are pretty cool. I often watch them.

You can use the islander with both hands. I reel wit my left. I am still not very comfortable with my hand that close to the bottom of the rod. I am sure it will come.

Thanks for the help

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2006, 10:17:35 PM »

Ribwarts advice is bang on.  The only time you need anything more than the top hand fingers to supply the drag to your reel is if you're playing a really big spring in faster water.  I even use my pin for bottom bouncing the Fraser about half the time I fish there (if fish are around) because it's so much more fun to play them and you can control the fish a whole lot better.  If the fish is 30 lb+ then sometimes you have to palm them as well to slow them down.   The only drawback as far as I'm concerned about using a pin on the Fraser is the slower retrieve which translates into fewer casts.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2006, 11:41:44 PM »

Funny how X knocks it but I do recall that a few months ago he was excited about landing a chum with it.  X...don't knock it till you've used it longer than a a couple months.  You just flat out gave up and didn't really figure out how to comfortably use a centerpin.  I will still use my baitcaster but not my first choice.

I forgot all about this thread..Damn, I've been missing out....Here's all I have to say on the subject...Yes, I had one,(centerpin).. yes I would still own one if I didn't have a buggered up wrist...and finally Yes, it's a total kick in the my friend to use one...but is it better? No...I think whatever anyone uses on here is what they think is the best and everyone has their own opinion on that...I honestly think your skill level has much more to do with how you fish then your equipment...That said can you tell me a guy like Bill Herzog would be a better fisherman with a C.P. then his levelwinds or spinning gear? I listened to him tonight on B.C. outdoors and what struck home was how he talked about using whatever gear you have to, to catch fish. He said he doesn't use spoons as much as you'd expect...If the water was a big flat, yeah he'd use a spoon...If its colored with vis. less then two feet, he'd never use one and would use bait.. If a fish was hanging under some branches he'd use a pink worm maybe...now he's becoming a nut for using a fly rod...and on and on...I think you can't limit yourself by saying the C.P. is the end all and do all of drift fishing....I'm amazed at how you all laugh at the guys you see using spinning gear on the Vedder, yet down south on Oregon rivers where 10- 20 steelhead days are common that's all you'll see....Does that make spinning reels better??? Hell no, it's what circumstances dictate....What is B.S. is that when anyone questions the holy grail of fishing on here they get reamed for daring to do so....You use what you choose....My gear rod now is a lamiglass cert. pro with a curado 300 dvs. I can use that set up to throw spoons, jigs, roe sacks, shrimp..damn near anything..and it casts like butter and drifts just like my C.P. did when I used it in my alley.. ;)  I think I will use it this year...but I know most of my steelhead fishing will be done with a fly rod...a 10' 9wt. sage xp and an Abel super 8 reel...I've got some new tricks to throw at them this time around and my confidence is high...But that doesn't mean fly fishing is the only way to really "get in touch" with the fish...It's simply the way that gives me the most pleasure...and after all isn't that what it's REALLY all about???
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 11:46:38 PM by Xgolfman »

Pat AV

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 12:16:59 PM »

Nice Report, glad to see you can appreciate the small things like the birds and animal tracks while you are on the water. This will keep you on the right track when the fishing is slow.

As far as Pin vs Level wind goes they are both good reels for float fishing.

I think it is best to wait untill you are "worthy" before you start fishing with a pin. I have not bought my first pin yet because the pin-reel is the mark of an expert and I am not there yet.

I always laugh when I see new-intermidiate anglers with 1000 dollar rigs, in my opinion the right to use a pin should be earned with at least 20 years of expirience in river fishing under your belt.

That said more power to all those who want to chuck pins, I will just wait untill I think my skills are up to expert level before I buy myself one.
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

frenchy

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2006, 01:27:18 PM »

There should be laws saying:

1. You are only allowed to fly fish if you can identify, using the latin name,  the species of insects that are hatching.

2 Only people wearing a suit and a tie are allowed to fish for noble species like Atlantic salmon or steelhead

3 Noble species like Atlantic salmon and steelhead may only be targetted using a two handed rod in bamboo, a dry line and a surface fly

4 Trolling is only allowed while sailing

5 If you do not respect these laws, your right hand will be cut using a blunted knife

Give me a break, go fishing and enjoy it  ;D

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2006, 01:55:28 PM »

You left out fishing line should be made of horse tail only.  Hooks made of bones.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2006, 11:18:41 AM »

Folks, I just deleted a bunch of posts in this thread, and some other threads. The jokes are going a bit over board lately. Please consider other non/participating members when posting the material and photos.

Thanks.

Rod, the prude.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2006, 09:32:03 AM »

Golfman is going to be very sad.. he spent alot of time posing for those pic's Rod !!   Geesh have a heart man

;D

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2006, 02:41:09 PM »

I am...prude indeed...how anyone can think Ricks old raisin butt is provocative??? YUK...