Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chinook Bar Fishing Reel  (Read 14704 times)

Nuggy

Chinook Bar Fishing Reel
« on: December 07, 2006, 10:08:38 PM »

Howdy folks, I know it`s pretty early for this question to come up but I`m interested to hear what reel you like to use for bar fishing chinooks in the Mission to Hope stretch of the Fraser.

Last season I used my Abu 6000 spooled with 50lb Tuf Line XP and it didn`t cut the mustard at all. It was my rookie season and I didn`t have any other reel to use.

I would like to have a new/used reel in place long before the next chinook season starts and was hoping you could tell me the brand and model # of the reels you prefer so I can see what kind of a budget I`m looking at.

Right now I`m slightly leaning towards a big spinning reel as I had several of my rigs completely snap off during  casts that went wrong with the level wind.

Cheers

Nuggy

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Chinook Bar Fishing Reel
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 11:03:27 PM »

I like the Abu 7000, casts a 16 ounce like a champ. Just use the right weight rod. I use to use a monster spinning reel for heavy bar fishing, cause it worked for ever and cost 5 bucks at a garage sell in Deroche.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 06:35:37 AM »

ABu 7000!  Strong Drag, casts awesome, not to big.  What more could you want. :D :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 07:10:58 AM »

7000C# gets my vote - freaking indestructible. Saw a guy selling a used one in good shape for $170 I think.

johnny

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 09:35:25 AM »

Diawa M-one plus. They're cheap but tough. The drag on the plus is improved over the original m-one as well. There's nothing like playing a fish on a single action reel... and they hold TONS of line and cast as much weight as you can toss with no problem.
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 11:51:42 AM »

Well, then you haven't been paying attention Dennis.  You comment sounds more like a troll, but I will bite.  I know of variuos people that use this type of reel.  Including Chris Gadsen.
 Yes Johnny does barfish, he was barfing with us this summer on more than one occasion.  In fact, he was guiding those days, you know, since he is a guide and all. ;)
  SO who is the one trolling?

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 12:10:41 PM »

Ok Dennis, your right, I'm wrong.  You obviuosly know what I am feeling, and I am wrong about what I saw.  But since when do you have to bomb it out there in the Upper fraser current?  ???  Just doesn't make much sense considering that 22 ounces wouldn't even hold in most spots only casting 30 feet out.  Anyhow, I am beat and have no need to comment on this anymore than I already have. ::)

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 12:19:05 PM »

hahaha tempers are flaring LOL
I also have seen many people using single action reels for Barfishing.. and yes they do cast as far as a baitcaster.. my question would be where the heck do you barfish where you need to cast more than 25-30 feet????? I personally am going to use a single action reel next year on the Bar because the fight is a ot more fun IMO
TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 12:29:27 PM »

I barfish near Hope and a few other spots that you need to get out 150 feet for consistent rewards; and I'd love to see someone cast that far with a mooching reel.

:o

I have a 7000, you know that if you know how to read. Whether I agree with Johnny's statement, assuming that it wasn't taken out of context, has nothing to do with how I responded to your statements in this thread.

Again, I am not taking anything personally, just responding to comments that sound like a trolls.  I guess that is why I always wind up commenting on things you type up.  Mind you, I usually only do when I am bored.   Like now.  I also haven't posted much lately, so I figured I would add a couple with this drival. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 12:40:44 PM by Big Steel »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 12:35:02 PM »

BS, if it makes you feel better I take back the comment I made about the earrings - never meant that as a knock on you.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 12:41:50 PM »

BS, if it makes you feel better I take back the comment I made about the earrings - never meant that as a knock on you.
Ummm, I don't wear earrings, but you know that Rick does!! ;D  Nice!!  Really smooth!! ;D

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 12:54:53 PM »

I plan on using a Penn GTi 320 next season. I have one spooled with 30 lb TUFF line, and the other spooled with 30 lb maxima, see which one I like more and for what conditions.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 12:57:26 PM »

DennisK you need to have an open mind. Your ignorance makes you look like an idiot because you act/talk like you know everything. This site is designed for people to learn, but you seem to choose not to. Yes you may have many years under your belt (many more than me i'll add), but there is always something else to learn.

I don't barfish but i do know that lots of people use Mooching reels for Barfishing.
As for abu's longevity, i would have to say that 2yrs ago an Abu would last have as long as an equivelently priced shimano. However Shimano's have changed and they both have lots of problems. The only Abu's that i have seen last are over $200, like the 7000.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 01:25:34 PM »

I barfish near Hope and a few other spots that you need to get out 150 feet for consistent rewards; and I'd love to see someone cast that far with a mooching reel.

Are you talking about Barfishing for salmon or fishing for Sturgeon... anywhere I have ever Barfished for Salmon you would need 30 ounces of lead to hold if you cast out more than 40 feet !!

one more thing that I always get a chuckle about ... do you really believe that you have ever cast 150 feet before???  do you realize just how far that is ?? and now are you really expecting people on this site to believe that you managed to cast a 16 oz lead weight 150 feet ???

LMFAO !! exagerating is something every fisherman does once in a while but I think that is a little more than an exageration
TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

frenchy

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 01:45:13 PM »

This has probably nothing to do with barfishing  ;), but it easily possible to cast 150 feet with the right setup. I often fish around 230 feet (not sure if I am right with the conversion, 70 meters)  when I fish from beaches in Europe and some guys are able to cast their leader with bait as far as 490 feet (150 meters).
Not with 16oz (around 450 grams) lead but between 3.5 and 8oz (100-250 grams)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 01:51:15 PM by frenchy »