Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chinook Bar Fishing Reel  (Read 14716 times)

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
Re: Chinook Bar Fishing Reel
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 02:24:11 PM »

This has probably nothing to do with barfishing  ;), but it easily possible to cast 150 feet with the right setup. I often fish around 230 feet (not sure if I am right with the conversion, 70 meters)  when I fish from beaches in Europe and some guys are able to cast their leader with bait as far as 490 feet (150 meters).
Not with 16oz (around 450 grams) lead but between 3.5 and 8oz (100-250 grams)

I went online to see how far a line can be cast and the only thing I can find is fly tossing dry lines , single handed and two handed.. I personally don't think it is possible to cast a line in one action further than Tiger Woods can drive a golf ball !!!! seriously think about how far that is ... and honestly think if you could throw a line with one motion even close to that distance
TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

johnny

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 02:55:37 PM »

well then..

didn't know I was so controvertial!

;D

I assure you I can "keep up" using a mooching reel ANYWHERE as far as "getting in the zone". Yes, I do make my living taking others fishing and have caught more than a few using mooching reels!  :o It's too bad you have never seen it, but it doesn't mean nobody does.. as a matter of fact more guides I know do use single action over levelwinds. Do with that as you will...

As far as the comments on the abu.. I was being fecetious with my comment BUT I do have great distain towards them based on mine and others experiences with the 6000's. I have yet to see a newer one last. Of course my comment was over the top, but I guess it worked to get my point across!

Good day.

:)
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...

frenchy

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 03:23:44 PM »

[ I personally don't think it is possible to cast a line in one action further than Tiger Woods can drive a golf ball !!!! seriously think about how far that is ... and honestly think if you could throw a line with one motion even close to that distance
TR

It is funny! Do you really think I would just invent that? 

here is a little quote from a UK casting club website.

"When you start, if you are new to the casting sport, you would start in the beginners group. This group is for people who cast anywhere up to 195yds. Once you achieve that distance or above, you would be promoted to B Group for casts between 195-225yds. When this distance has been achieved at 2 separate events you will move into A Group 225-245yds. Same again into Premier, 245yds upwards, If like some of the top casters you can then move into a voluntary group Premier Plus."
(I precise that these distances are without bait, just the lead)

the website is a bit slow but it works
http://www.beach-caster.com/

and here is another one, even more clear (at least for me, it is in meter, not in yards  ;D)
http://www.uksf.sea-angler.org/records.html

« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 03:28:46 PM by frenchy »

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 03:49:15 PM »

Here's a picture from last July. The reels I have out are (from far to near) Abu7000, Diawa 275 Mooching reel, Penn 320 and, not quite sure what the last one is. But I perfer the Diawa 275 reels the best, but sometimes clients have difficulties with the single action reels.

Notice the custom wooden  handles on this baby.

Also, DennisK, I know Johnny and see him on the river LOTS, and he know of what he speaks. ;)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 03:57:34 PM by Randog »

ColinB

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 03:50:25 PM »

This has probably nothing to do with barfishing  ;), but it easily possible to cast 150 feet with the right setup. I often fish around 230 feet (not sure if I am right with the conversion, 70 meters)  when I fish from beaches in Europe and some guys are able to cast their leader with bait as far as 490 feet (150 meters).
Not with 16oz (around 450 grams) lead but between 3.5 and 8oz (100-250 grams)

I went online to see how far a line can be cast and the only thing I can find is fly tossing dry lines , single handed and two handed.. I personally don't think it is possible to cast a line in one action further than Tiger Woods can drive a golf ball !!!! seriously think about how far that is ... and honestly think if you could throw a line with one motion even close to that distance
TR

Competition casters here in the UK are casting 5oz [150gm] leads over 300 yards.  Can't remember the names apart from Neil McKellow and Paul Kerry who I believe are 290 yards.  Google British Surf Casting competitions or UK etc.

Colin

Nuggy

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2006, 04:21:46 PM »

Howdy, thanks for the advise , entertainment  ;) and  for the pics Randog. I won`t be flossing with 20 oz weights 150 feet out in the river so I don`t need a long bomb reel ;D Most of the casting I`ve done barfing was in the 10-30 feet range.

I think my dad has an old moocher reel around so maybe I`ll take it out for some practice castsing and see if I like it. Who knows, I may not even have to buy a reel. The Penn 320 series and the Abu 7000`s also look cool.

Keep the entertainment and reel suggestions coming 8)

Cheers

Nuggy

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2006, 04:26:32 PM »

Looking to get the MR2 on the river this coming summer, see how it does.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2006, 04:45:34 PM »

Thx for posting that Frenchy, that is the info I couldn't find with a quick search on the net.. hard to believe that a line could be cast that far.. but still I have been fishing a long time and the only time I have ever seen a line cast around 150-200 feet is during sockeye season on the Fraser.. with a 3oz betty you can sure sling the gear out there! with regular gear on a good day I see people maybe casting 100 feet at the most.. that is the point I am trying to make
TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

frenchy

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2006, 05:16:21 PM »

life would be boring if we knew everything  ;)

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2006, 06:04:14 PM »

I've used both a Penn 321 and a Shimano  2000GT.   The Penn's easier to cast for me, the Shimano's more fun to play a fish on a single action reel. 
President Club S. C. & P.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2006, 09:20:38 PM »

I remember some guys in the 80s inOregon doing some pretty good surf fishing casts of a few hundred feet. Didn't get a good look at their reels though. They were using only a few ounces of weight. Too many years ago, sometimes you have to cast more than 30 feet though. And I wish those guide boats would stop following my sportspal canoe around though.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Nuggy

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2006, 01:46:10 PM »

I just talked to my dad on the phone about his mooching reel. He said it was a Daiwa 175 S model he picked up years ago at the A&N boutique for 10 bucks or something cheap. He said it`s never been used.

Does anyone know the difference between 175 S and a 275? Maybe drag washer size, cheaper components, less line capcity. I`ll phone Mike`s reel repair to get more info next week. This would be perfect price reel for me as it`s free :D

Cheers

Nuggy

charles

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2006, 02:53:41 PM »

I surf fish for striper in the bay area and I and others need to cast over the waves with colored lead + feather or a 4-6 oz white leaded jigs...  You can cast over 150 feet with no problem.  I did it with spinning gears when I first started, and then switched to casting gears using reels like penn320, Small Norwell, and the orginal grey-silver calcutta...

If you like casting reel, try the new Daiwa Saltist.  Price is reasonable.  I use SA30 Saltiga for bottom fishing for halibut with braided line.  It can hold quite a bit of line.  The saltist is just a cheaper verison of the saltiga.  And both reel can cast really well and build to last with incrediable drags and build for braided line and small :)

Nuggy

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2006, 08:52:09 PM »

the only difference between the 175 and 275 is the 275 has a larger spool. both reels are single action reels that are refereed to as knuckle buster. Nuggy go in and look at my post on the other winter steel in the fishing report section and the second picture on my report is of my rod and reel and it has a 275 on it.

Thanks Bill, that was a great post from the Cap mouth. I always wonder if those Chinook are heading up the Fraser 365 days of the year.

Charles, thanks for the advise on the surf casters. How long do you leave your bait offering out there? Do you retrieve right after your cast? When you are using a reel for bar fishing chinooks you don`t make a lot of casts in a day and you use weights in the 14-22 oz range to hold your line stationery in the fast river current.

Cheers

Nuggy

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2006, 09:36:00 PM »

For Bar Fishing and Surf Fishing, I use an Alvey reel.  They are excellent if you have to cast long distance and/or with heavy weights.  I think their reel still holds the record for longest distance cast.  They are Australian reels.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor