Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Etiquette ?  (Read 4904 times)

sassygrams

Fishing Etiquette ?
« on: November 13, 2006, 03:51:18 PM »

Wasn't too sure what this would go under - so thought this was a good bet.  Now, maybe because I am female and older this bothers me more but just a word from a grandma - when two people are fishing - just learning to fish a new river - Capilano - it is not very nice or gentlemanly to stand and watch and make fun.  I was at the Cap this morning with my husband, who is even knewer to salmon fishing then me, and when people are watching and making snide comments and laughing at how I am casting does not instill faith in oneself, nor a good temper in my husband.  My hunny can fly fish beautifully - but this new float way is a bit to master.  So, next time you see, if any of you fellows were there and involved in the snickering and laughter at our expense, maybe you should try to encourage or help.  I would hope none of you are like that, as I truly enjoy coming here to read and learn more from experienced salmon fisherman(woman)

Now, this afternoon when I was there, the fellows were at least civil - let me watch them bring the fish in, even had a few kind words to say, told me about the trails, and one even let me fish beside him (even with my bad casting). 

Just not nice this morning - not very nice at all.

Oh, about the fish - they were catching them, or snagging them if you call that fishing - I tried with my float and wool but nothing.  That's ok....  Next weekend we are getting 9" rods and maybe new reels so we'll see if that makes a difference.

I  was pleased to speak with you fellows this afternoon :)  If any of you are on here - I appreciated the help and hope you enjoyed the roe :)

Good luck all - and just remember to be nice to new people - that is how we learn.
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Fishing Etiquette ?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 03:56:36 PM »

That's really to bad Sassy.  Not all of us as you found out in the afternoon, are j-holes like that.  I hope that your future experiences are much more enjoyable and even a bit more fishy! ;D  Tight lines and good luck on the flow. :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

phatwop

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 04:15:13 PM »

Sorry you had a rough time out there but unfortunately, it's a tiny river that gets overcrowded very quickly and people really love their little spots. Even having 2 or three fisherman at a certain spot makes that area overcrowded and tempers get very bad. I've gotten used to the unfriendly fishermen there and sometimes you'll have to just ignore it and try to  have some fun. It gets worse in the summer when people start doing cannonballs off the cliffs a few feet from where you're fishing or when dog owners start launching sticks into the water so their dogs can fetch them.  :'(

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 04:31:14 PM »

they're just being competitive... Or suffering from low self esteem, and must make fun of others to make themselves feel better.

Ask them if they're concerned that you're going to catch their fish :)

Hang in there girl! Even after 20 years river fishing some guys still assume I know nothing when they see me out there.

Some guys think ladies don't belong out there and say things to intimidate. Most guys are great though.

And when you become an ace caster and fisher, those same jokers will just watch and giggle like a bunch of high school boys, in amazement that a girl can actually do it. Then they'll come up and hit on you instead ;)

Cheers,
Nicole
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 04:32:46 PM by Nicole »
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 04:35:47 PM »

Next weekend we are getting 9" rods and maybe new reels so we'll see if that makes a difference.

Too bad you met some of those holier than thou fishermen who think they're Gods. Here's a tip for you: Whatever you do, DON'T buy one of those 9" rods. They don't work  ;D ;D Try using a 9' rod instead.  ;D

sassygrams

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 04:45:48 PM »

Thanks for the correction.  And, I appreciate the support above.  It is nice to see that there are some decent human beings who enjoy fishing and Nicole, I completely agree with you. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 04:47:36 PM by sassygrams »
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 04:53:32 PM »

Hey Sassy, sorry to hear about your day today. I was also on the Cap today from about 10:00am to 3:00 pm. Were you by any chance fishing Cable Pool and when you left offered your extra roe to the strikingly handsome fisherman beside you ? :) LOL
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 06:51:11 PM by Kelso »

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 05:06:18 PM »

sorry to hear that your morning was crappy,not everyone's like that only the one's that think their better than everyone else.good luck with the new gear  :) you were saying your hubby's a fly fisherman then when the water is slower and lower he definitely hook up with the coho in there  ;)

sassygrams

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 05:48:22 PM »

Kelso, was that you with the camera and did you have a chance to use it?   Did you use up that little bit of roe and did you get a fish?  Those fellows beside us looked like they were doing good but I think those leaders were a bit long and they kept bringing them up by their stomachs and tails - not nice to see at all.

Hope your day was good. 

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 06:02:38 PM »

Hi Sassy, were you and your husband on the Seymore a few weeks ago? I caught a coho and told your husband to go to this website if he wants to learn about drift fishing? I also showed these two people my set up.
Fish on!

sassygrams

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 06:28:32 PM »

Hi Sassy, were you and your husband on the Seymore a few weeks ago? I caught a coho and told your husband to go to this website if he wants to learn about drift fishing? I also showed these two people my set up.

No, we haven't fished the seymour river - although we would if we knew there were fish in it as we live right by Mount Seymour.  I didn't know there are fish in there...  The only places we've been so far is Vedder and Capilano - and I've been out more myself this year.  We learned how to set up by Fred's Tackle Shop in Chillawack, very nice people in there and then I buy most of our stuff at Highwater in North Vancouver and they are helpful too.  We really enjoyed the Vedder fishing - even though it was busy, you still had your own space and we brought our dog with us.  Cap is proving to be an experience :)  I enjoy fishing there although today my spot was under water so I had went to the big rock but I wasn't doing very well and didn't want to snag the fellow beside me so I came home. 

Where do you normally fish?  In Vancouver, Chillawack - just curious without being noisey.

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 06:55:58 PM »

Sassy, yes that was me ! Thanks for the roe, I used it but didn't end up with a darn thing. The Cap is nice because it's so close to those of us who live on the Shore or Downtown but in all honesty I think most of the folks I saw there today were only interested in snagging. I saw two guys with gaff hooks and big freakin' nets. Next time I will say hello :)

sassygrams

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 07:19:34 PM »

Sassy, yes that was me ! Thanks for the roe, I used it but didn't end up with a darn thing. The Cap is nice because it's so close to those of us who live on the Shore or Downtown but in all honesty I think most of the folks I saw there today were only interested in snagging. I saw two guys with gaff hooks and big freakin' nets. Next time I will say hello :)

Sorry for your luck today - mine too.  The ones we caught there yesterday and Saturday were nice cohos and one chum - we disagree with snagging - huge....  That isn't fishing as the fish doesn't even have a chance and then it is so tired and beat up they throw them back with little regard to the health of the fish - not cool.  You are most welcome for the roe, but there was very little left but you seemed nice and I appreciated you not minding me down there with you.  I was actually hoping that if I got one on you would help me out as that cliff kind of gives my nerves a jerk.  I liked that other spot so maybe when the water goes down I can go there again, just below those bigs rocks and off to the left is where I like to go.  I didn't see them gaff hooks but I did see the nets, thought they were just to get the fish up those rocks.  Sure did like that camera, what a great idea.  May I ask how much they cost?  I know alot of people say that only snaggers only go there, but when I fish myself I like being out in the open and it is close to home by myself.  We found a really nice spot to fly fish out by Manning Park this summer - and we had a black bear right by us...  My husband says I attract them as every time we go somewhere remote one is very close - sometimes too close :) 
We are going back down this coming weekend I think so I am hoping the water will go down a bit....  those people can have that cliff and their bad habits - I want no part of their fishing methods or there rude comments in the am time. 
I want to go trout fly fishing, at least I know what to do :)  We'll say hi next time....

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 09:30:15 AM »

I guess that stuff happens when you fish closer to downtown Vancouver?
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Ribwart

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 10:16:11 AM »

Sorry to hear about your experience there sassy...Like someone said, they are likely suffering from a lack of self esteem...not all fishermen are like that, stick with it, ignore the idiots...I am sure you will do just fine. Keep it up.
 ;D
Rib