Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where to take high school fishing club this weekend?  (Read 3917 times)

oldtimehockey

Where to take high school fishing club this weekend?
« on: November 08, 2006, 08:06:08 PM »

I was planning on taking my high school fishing club out this Sunday.  We were planning on going to the Upper Chilliwack but I'm not sure if this would be the best idea with all of the rain expected Friday-Sunday.  Any suggestions as to what would be the best place to fish with 12 high school students who've just started fishing?  Squamish?  Chehalis?  Vedder? 
"I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father"
-Greg Norman

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Where to take high school fishing club this weekend?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 08:14:57 PM »

Knowing what kind of gear you have will make it easier to determine where to go

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

oldtimehockey

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 08:19:24 PM »

Float fishing.  I'm more concerned about safety though.  Will the upper Chilliwack be dangerous?
"I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father"
-Greg Norman

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 08:24:08 PM »

If they have just started fishing why not try the stave. They will definatly be into alot of fish. Although they may not all be keepers  I'am sure they will have alot of fun.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 08:28:33 PM »

Was at the stave today with the fly rod and landed six pretty clean chum. Saw even more landed by other people. I would of kept a couple if they where doe's but they where all bucks. By the end of the morning my arms and shoulders where fried. The drag system on the real sure got a work out today.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 08:35:12 PM »

Safety would be my first concern if Chilliwack River is being considered. My recommendation would be to ask Chris what the river condition is currently. If the hydrograph is correct, then I would say scratch it off the list.

Many lakes in the Lower Mainland were stocked early this week and late last week, how about trout fishing in lakes?

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishing_report/stocking_2.html

Lafarge had over 1,000 fish stocked late last week, worth considering. Other lakes with good shore access include Sasamat, Mill, Rice and Buntzen.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 08:38:46 PM »

I would also say the Stave in these conditions

Belong to the "4 F Club"

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 09:21:41 PM »

go back to the squish, get them to buy blade making material and tie come colorados, the chum nail em.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 10:03:33 PM »

bb how come you like the damn bronco's??? Indy's got their number again!!!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 10:09:18 PM »

bb how come you like the damn bronco's??? Indy's got their number again!!!

I have them tattoo'd on both of my arms. I was a BIG John Elway fan growing up and watched the Broncos all the time. The Broncos are my favorite sports franchise. Love the Raiders-Broncos rivalry, is their any bigger rivaly in sports? Indy cannot do it in the playoffs. My favorite all time defender is Steve Atwater ( I was a DB when I played football )

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 07:34:35 AM »

oldtimehockey, if there is a ANY concern for safety, now is not the time to be taking beginners out.  Considering they are calling for another dumping from the pineaplle express on Friday, I doubt the rivers wil lbe in any better shape then they are right now.  I know friday they are calling for rain, dont know about saturday or sunday...may just be a good weekend to stay home.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 07:56:45 AM »

Chehalis would be safest. I would not want to take ANY chances this weekend and squish and vedder are still high.

Lew Chater

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 08:53:02 AM »

Was out looking at the upper Chwk River yesterday and watching them repair the road washout just above Allson's Pool area. The river is very dangerous at this time with continued high water and totally unfishable as of yesterday. I wouldn't even consider taking a group of new fishmen on the Vedder for awhile.
I really appreciate your effort in taking these young people out to the fishing areas. That's great! Used to do that with students at the elementary level, Gr 6 and 7 years ago on the Vedder. We camped out overnight. Still have students comment on those outings when I see them around town. They are now taking their own kids out and showing them how to do it.
Don't really have any suggestions where else to go, maybe as Rodney suggests to try a lake.
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 09:36:24 AM »

Dennis, the chehalis is the lat place I would take new fishers with little river experience.  That river reacts to rain quicker than any river I know.  I have seen it rise 2 feet in no time at all...these beaks tackle boxes started floating away cause it came up so fast!  And where would you suggest he take these students on the chehalis.  I spoke with the hatchery yesterday and there was ZERO water coming down in front of the hatchery...so you are suggesting a group of 8 students walk in on the bible camp...sounds like trouble to me. 

If you are set on going out OTH, my safest bet would be something like the harrison but I dont know how hard its running or its clarity.  Instead of float fishing wool, I would recommend you get some spinners, spoons, and colorado blades....do some casting from shore...good for coho and chum.  Right at the #7 crossing of the harrison, there is a ton of room on all 4 corners of the bridge for a big gang like yours.

Maybe I could help out...I snorkel the cap lots and have a ton of spinners and spoons, I could supply you some opposed to having to send your group out to buy spoons at 4-5 bucks a pop.

email me if you're interested. (icon in the left side of this box).

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 09:47:10 AM »

Derby Reach. Drive right up the fishing spot. Bring the BBQ. Practice long casts as well as patience. Pretty safe area if the waters high.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?