Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your fishing in while you still can!  (Read 1901 times)

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
Get your fishing in while you still can!
« on: November 03, 2006, 06:37:11 AM »

Anyone read about this predicted fisheries collapse?  Published in Science.  Hope they are wrong.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a.xZZWVL36Q0&refer=home

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: Get your fishing in while you still can!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 08:00:23 AM »

h
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:41:19 AM by dennisK »

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 08:57:17 AM »

Well, I would believe the authors of this article (in science not the pop media) because they are scientists, and this is published in a peer reviewed EXTREMELY competetive journal.  Not to say that those make the system free of flaws, but it gives one a sense that this is not some kind of junk commonly found in the media that is based on feelings or bunk theories.

Secondly, their findings are based on experimentation, observation, and data analysis.  The same can be said about global warming.  I don't think you could find a single legit scientific study that shows there is no global warming.

Does that mean that there are hundreds of scientist conspiring to mess with your mind?  I doubt it.  Do politicians try to create confusion (ie WMDs or create doubt about environmental issues)?  You bet they do, and they are darn good at it.

Jon

Why are we more likely to believe them about the fish but not about global warming or weapons of mass distraction in Iraq?

And no, I'm not "bustin' yer ballz" - but I've noticed that people who personally care about things tend to believe it first before the "masses".

That said - shouldn't we give more attention/belief to people who also say the glaciers are melting or Saddam did not have genocidal weapons if we want them to listen about "our fish".

Pretty heavy I know for a Friday morning - just an observation on why nothing gets accomplished.

Back to regular programming  :)

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 09:13:31 AM »

to me, all you need to do is look at the pattern that has developed over the past 100 years...it becomes very obvious that there has been a steady decline in all things "natural", and that it will continue to decline on our present course.  It is sad to me that there are people out there who still can't recognize this and need "obvious" reports like 'This just in....the earth MAY be heating up!" to sway their stance.  *Sigh*

allwaysfishin

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 09:37:39 AM »

dennis, that sheep thing is too funny.... very cool man  :D That pic summs up half the worlds problems right there. baah baah  ;D

Ribwart

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 09:42:44 AM »

great pic...

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 10:51:36 AM »

Anyone read about this predicted fisheries collapse?  Published in Science.  Hope they are wrong.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a.xZZWVL36Q0&refer=home

Why are we more likely to believe them about the fish but not about global warming or weapons of mass distraction in Iraq?

Because we live directly in a place where we can feel the effects of what they are talking about.
We don't know, or most people, don't know what is going on in Iraq.

I remember only 10 years ago when I came to Vancouver I hated all the rain.
Now, I don't remember what rain is all about and we've very little rain this summer and this climate is becoming like Mediterranean in a hurry.
I can sense global warming, nobody has to tell me that it is happening. El Niños have been happening for a long time and they are also a sign of the changes.
Same with the fisheries.
We know how many fish commercial fisheries catch and what trawlers are doing to the bottom of the oceans.
We know we will most likely never catch trophy fish like our fathers and grandfathers did. 3000 lb blue marlins and tunas.
We had a collapse of the east coast cod fisheries but we learned nothing from it.
Commercial fisheries or any other fisheries on a grand scale are destroying the resources for our survival.
World trade is based on selling your resources to other countries that have already depleted them, and frequently to dangerous levels.
The reason these commercial fisheries are a problem is because they waste so much and all they care about is profit.
Huge percentage of the catch is wasted so that somebody far away can eat fish anytime they want and cheap.
In Japan, they decimated their fish stocks and now they are destroying other countries' fisheries.
They eat so much fish and they also waste so much more.
Gone are the times of local fish markets where fishermen catch fish only for local consumption.
I mean they still exist but the overseas fishing market is much more lucrative.

Also guided tours are big business in BC.
They use sonars to locate fish and every dodo that pays for trip is almost guaranteed to catch a fish because they are paying customers.
That is despicable.
I can't catch a wild coho or steelhead, but they can use sonars to locate fish.
You call this management???!!!!!
As long as we have this going on our fish resources are in danger.

I remember a time when I was able to catch anything, anytime and as much as I wanted.

I would also like to commend the individual sports fishemen, who seem to be the only people that care and understand issues around fish resources. Individual fishermen don't waste as much if anything at all and they have personal contact and appreciation for the fish.

All commercial fishermen should be converted to fish farmers. With government's help they should convert from exploiting our natural resources to producing food to cover their financial needs and our consumption needs.
This will happen, it's just a matter of time.
Hopefully before we destroy the natural world.

As long as we are prepared to sell our my friend for money, there is no hope for the future of the fisheries.
But we live in a world where we want everything, anytime and cheap.

My 2.5 cents.