Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A river with silver bars in it...  (Read 4544 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
A river with silver bars in it...
« on: October 25, 2006, 09:21:07 PM »

I'm convinced now that every long liner with a DNE float from somewhere in Europe must read this forum and head out in droves everytime someone on here posts a new report and pic's...So, you all know where this is...and that's that...It was really decent when we got there but no fish showing or really any being landed...I took a long walk down the beach and found some excellent trout and possible coho water for later..but was skunked my first couple hours on the flow...As I wandered back up river I was just crushed to see just about all the fisher beaks were out none from this side of the Atlantic...all with six foot plus leaders and ripping...I wonder how your country can sustain itself when no one works but all fish?  ???  That's my mini vent...Just seems everywhere I go this year it's the same thing..AND...the same people...what gives???  >:(

So, finally found the fly they seemed to just go nuts for...lost almost all of them with a 15lb leader, so went with....are you ready for this...a three foot 20lb one....they were nuts for pink and orange salmon candy flies....at times they were whacking them every cast..others would be about one in five...near 4ish..they were jumping finning and generally going nuts all around me...I had only two foul hooked ones...the rest were smack in the kisser...Was so cool to actually see them come up and hit this fly...I swore a couple times I fouled one as it just ripped the line out and my Abel reel has a drag on it that could literally stop a rock....the term knuckle buster comes to mind...I'm trying to show the fly in this pic..not sure if you can see it...right in the front of his ugly mug....some chrome bars and some others that while showing some color were still more chrome then not....Had to take two today for my new smoker I got this weekend at my daughters bands silent auction...So, even better....

A great day but man some serious stupid sh*t was happening around me...The only other guy that was using a fly rod, was an older gentleman...I was gabbing to him about flies etc. and even offered him one of my roe candy when he saw how well they were doing....Then I realized he didn't have a clue what he was doing...He walked over from down stream with no one within a hundred yards of him....and stood 20 feet down from me....I asked him "Are you serious?" where is my drift supposed to go? He just laughed....I asked him again "What are you going to do when I get a fish on and he smacks right into you?"  again he just laughed....So, not 5 minutes later, Fish on....and it jumps about 10 feet in front of him and he casts his line over mine and hooks it and busts my leader....I just about went ballistic...but kept my cool and asked him how long had he been a fly fisherman? and tried to explain to him why he needed to move the hell away from me...Oh well...Damn that's a nasty drive back in the rain...Sorry for the bitch session, Rod if you want to delete the top portion you can...I just wanted to let you guys know that whats read on here does have an immediate impact on the rivers you discuss...I'm at fault to so will TRY and keep my mouth shut from now on...

« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 11:38:31 AM by Xgolfman »

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
Re: A river with silver bars in it...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 10:00:30 PM »

Nice Pic XGolfman !!!!!  ranting a lil bit is all good, it grows tiring watching how some people fish !!!  congrats on the good day of fishing but 20 lb leader ???  lol
TR

when are we gonna get out ??????

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 10:06:06 PM »

love the pic, ;D thanks for the report
weeeeeeeeeow!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 10:12:05 PM »

Nice Pic XGolfman !!!!!  ranting a lil bit is all good, it grows tiring watching how some people fish !!!  congrats on the good day of fishing but 20 lb leader ???  lol
TR

when are we gonna get out ??????

Let me know when you get a weekday off...or this winter when the steelies are in...Im pimping my weekends and trout fishing down here...brings my sanity level back down... ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 10:20:59 PM »

I hear ya Xgolfman. It's happened to me as well. Frustrating.

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 10:23:11 PM »

Nice fish , great pic how'd that rod taste ;D ;D
crab cakes

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 11:53:21 PM »

Hey xgolfman, were the chum actually hitting the fly?  How many did you hook?   Are you saying if I read right that all long liners are from the other side of the Atlantic??? ???

rymack

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 04:51:15 AM »

i was up there at first light and left around 2ish.  i saw the rippers you were talking about , i left after they set up way out in the middle of the river.  im not entirely sure but it looked like they bonked about 3-4 each.

i was fishing next to fy guy who was having terrible luck for the first hour or three .  that was until he switched up to a bead headed purple/silver fly.  with out exageration he hooked about 25 in a row. he brought about 15 of those to the beach. :o

There were definatelly a group of european rippers there , but there was another group of euro's who were fishing ethically and landing fish.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 07:57:02 AM »

Hey xgolfman, were the chum actually hitting the fly?  How many did you hook?   Are you saying if I read right that all long liners are from the other side of the Atlantic??? ???

When the fish are "on" - they will most definitely take the fly!  And yes - sometimes, the type of fly (e.g. colour/size) does make a difference.  When I was out there on Sunday, I found that one particular fly outproduced the others in my box.

Thanks for the report xgolfman...

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 07:57:42 AM »

Good job on the fish! Just curious as to where your leader was breaking? Was it at the knot to the fly or in the body of the leader.  Looks like great fishing conditions for this time of year.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 09:18:00 AM »

They were most definitely hitting it...I had one foul hooked and my buddy using my rod fouled one as well and I think that happened when the big buck rolled in the line....all were dead in the mouth and while going nuts and jumping and ripping off the line...did come in after their battles, the fouled ones, well I waded out as deep as I could go and cut the fly off..

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 09:22:37 AM »

i was up there at first light and left around 2ish.  i saw the rippers you were talking about , i left after they set up way out in the middle of the river.  im not entirely sure but it looked like they bonked about 3-4 each.

i was fishing next to fy guy who was having terrible luck for the first hour or three .  that was until he switched up to a bead headed purple/silver fly.  with out exageration he hooked about 25 in a row. he brought about 15 of those to the beach. :o

There were definatelly a group of european rippers there , but there was another group of euro's who were fishing ethically and landing fish.

Hey rymack, I was way down on the end and about the time you left was out scouting  the river...I did see guys up around middle and top that were doing it right way, but they left around 3 and another two groups came in....I also saw a guy short floating but at the end of the drift would just rip the line...what was so goofy was...you'd be standing there and some guy would walk up and cast in behind you...left his float drift down so it was right next to you and then rip it....That happened once to me too...I told that guy, you do that again and you lose your pole!!! He packed it up and went down by Indian Ronny...damn I had to laugh as another guy caught a big buck from behind Ron and then ran it into him...should have seen old Ronny ducking that one... :D Funny but so stupid too..

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 09:28:28 AM »

Good job on the fish! Just curious as to where your leader was breaking? Was it at the knot to the fly or in the body of the leader.  Looks like great fishing conditions for this time of year.

they were breaking at the fly and the leader below the knot...I tie my own leaders as well and surgeon knot the lower one but us Knot sense on the knots so they normally never break...I would say teeth were the main cause, secondary are guys hooking your line.. ::)

frenchy

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 09:41:50 AM »

Nice pics, as usual...
You were not affraid to break your rod with a 20 pounds leader?

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 02:26:58 PM »

Nice pics, as usual...
You were not affraid to break your rod with a 20 pounds leader?

well if I do I do...but it's a sage xp and doesn't seem overly stressed...