Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A river with silver bars in it...  (Read 4541 times)

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
Re: A river with silver bars in it...
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 10:06:09 PM »

[A great day but man some serious stupid sh*t was happening around me...The only other guy that was using a fly rod, was an older gentleman...I was gabbing to him about flies etc. and even offered him one of my roe candy when he saw how well they were doing....Then I realized he didn't have a clue what he was doing...He walked over from down stream with no one within a hundred yards of him....and stood 20 feet down from me....I asked him "Are you serious?" where is my drift supposed to go? He just laughed....I asked him again "What are you going to do when I get a fish on and he smacks right into you?"  again he just laughed....So, not 5 minutes later, Fish on....and it jumps about 10 feet in front of him and he casts his line over mine and hooks it and busts my leader....I just about went ballistic...but kept my cool and asked him how long had he been a fly fisherman? and tried to explain to him why he needed to move the hell away from me...Oh well......]

I see this all the time up here in the chum fishery. I've lived in and fished this area for 21 years and it seems to get worse every year. I feel that you were correct to go on the offensive when this person would not give you your space. I never used to worry about stuff like that but as I get older I have no time for bad manners like this. All the top local rods no longer will  tolerate the "Vedder mentality" that is now appearing and they will try to educate the offending party. It's for everyones best interest to understand that you can not fish within 50 - 60 feet of the fly guys. If they don't get the hint, then I zing a spey cast fly or a large spoon near there body. If they say anything then I point out that I was fishing this water before they arrived and they can find a better spot somewhere else. If you wanted this spot then get up earlier in the day! If not ..piss off.

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 11:31:48 PM »

Didn't think that the chum would bite once in the river, suprises me!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2006, 05:47:01 AM »

Man, they were hitting a few selective things very hard.  I was not having much luck at all for the first couple hrs, so I kept changing up.  I got to this one thing, and all of a sudden I was into about 10 fish on about 12 casts.  The whole time I was using the same type of set-up.  2.5 feet between float and weight and about a 20" leader.   ;)  But that color change did the trick.  It wasn't purple for me either, all the flyguys I saw were having good success with something purple on. ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2006, 09:36:24 AM »

Its hard to tell if its a color change though BS....could just as easily be the timing, you know?   

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2006, 10:34:49 AM »

Changing up the colours was working awesome on Sunday, if we went 5-6 casts without a hit we would change colours and almost everytime it was fish on first cast with the new colours !!!  this worked all day until the fresh fish stopped coming in, in Squamish it is all about tide timing and colour !!

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2006, 11:10:34 AM »

Ya I'd say sometimes a combination, sometimes one or the other, ALWAYS hard to tell for sure :)