Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish fly's  (Read 3728 times)

604fisherman

Squamish fly's
« on: October 24, 2006, 08:25:04 PM »

Hi there I'm new to board and fly fishing. I was wondering what fly's and color to use in the confluence of the squamish and mamquam river.   ??? ??? ??? Thanks guys

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
Re: Squamish fly's
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 10:10:59 PM »

Heard of a bunch that have wored.  Basically popsicle leeches will be fine (ones with marabou or stiff hair).  Colours of choice in my fly box include Purple/Orange/Red, Blue/Black, Orange/White and I have heard that Green and White has done well too.  Always good to experiment as well and you might just find something that absolutely slays them.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 10:14:22 PM »

Dont forget xmas trees. Its my go to fly for chum. Its my ace in the hole. It always out produces any other fly for me. Allot of the time a fly gives the angler a certain confidence and they fish it like that. For example in the spring when the fry emerge and you are targetting cutties. Some people love fishing epoxy minnows. I have tried and tried using them and have never caught one on them. I switch to a rolled muddler and bam I am into fish. Try what people suggest and dont be afraid to try something you have confidence in.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

rymack

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 10:47:55 PM »

Ive caught chum on quite a few flys on the squamish.  Freight trains , popsicles , christmas trees all work well. Alot of people just tiewool because its cheaper.  The chums are not too picky...basically anything wth some size to it .  Keep in mind that these are big powerfull fish so use bigger stronger hooks. You might just want to keep some larger blank hooks with some different color's of wool   in your kit and ask the people who are catching fish that day what is working for them.  Sometimes the chum are picky for colour so keep your options open.  probabally more important than the fly colour your using is the drift /presentation. You may wanna keep a little flyfishing splitshot to get your fly down if the river is moving too much...though if you have too much of a sink to it you will snag alot of fish and lose alot of leaders/tippet