Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sunday fly fishing Nirvana  (Read 3506 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Sunday fly fishing Nirvana
« on: October 22, 2006, 07:26:41 PM »

Well, I don't know what to say except every once in awhile you get one of those "special" days... I hit my little local fly only lake, Was a beautiful afternoon....

I actually didn't care if I caught anything or not as I was just relaxing and trying out some different patterns...Got a hit on an Alexandria fly that I was skating on top...got it in half way and saw it was a little cuttie so slack lined it off...spent about an hour or more just screwing around flicking different things into the edge of the Lilly pads without much luck...around 4pm the wind died right off and I noticed a small hatch happening. I put on a size 12 Adams parachute and cast it out to the odd riser...SLURP...

there goes the Adams and a nice fight and multiple jumps happen...Nice cuttie in the 14" range...pop her off and toss the Adams...and SLURP..there it goes again....What a blast...got about 4 or 5 fiesty cutties using the Adams until it finally cools off....I look around and notice quite a few risers now...I put on my favorite standby fly, a Lady McConnell....I watch a pretty healthy rise and cast to the edge of it...Immediately, SPLASH...and another battle enshues...after a few runs and more aerials in comes another 14+" cuttie. snapped a picture of her and sent her on her way...

As the sun was setting behind the mountain I started to kick my way back in...tried trolling the Lady Mc. and got a couple soft hits but no takers...got about half way and thought to myself.."Lets try a bloodworm pattern and bump it on the way in"...Cast it out a couple times and was just leisurely flicking it up and down and "WHAM"...a nice healthy strike...Not nearly the fight the cutties put up but in comes a nice 16+" bow...did a quick measurement of him and tried to do a CMK pic. of him on release...

That was about it as leader was all twisted up and I didn't feel like fixing it...Just a great afternoon, figured out the hatch a little...Had a bunch of nice fish on and some good battles...remembered why I love fly fishing so much and why I love mykiss...Salmon and a rush to battle but trout really make you use your head...What a great Sunday... ;)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 07:29:17 PM by Xgolfman »

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
Re: Sunday fly fishing Nirvana
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 08:05:01 PM »

WOW! There is no doubt about that! Defenitly a cutty...looked like he got jumped downstream and someone slit his throat! :D :D

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 05:57:09 PM »

I agree Paul, after you have had your 50+ days, and you have landed your heavy weight trophy, nothing compares to active trout on a dry fly.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 09:45:28 PM »

I agree Paul, after you have had your 50+ days, and you have landed your heavy weight trophy, nothing compares to active trout on a dry fly.

Don't know what gets my heart racing more...wrestling the trophys actually is a riot..but does gets old (or tiring) pretty quick...and nothing is quite as exciting for me like seeing that little dry get slurped down by Mr. mykiss