Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehalis  (Read 5110 times)

fish2much

• It's all about how you wiggle the worm
Chehalis
« on: October 17, 2006, 10:52:22 PM »

I'm gonna give the chehalis a try on the weekend.  I've fished for sockeye there before and done well but, never for the coho.  I'm gonna bring the bait casting and the fly rod so tips for either or both would be quite apprieciated. 
Let me know
Cheers

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: Chehalis
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 07:22:06 AM »

I wasn't aware the chehalis has a sockeye run and even if they do, it surely would be closed...do you mean the Harrison?  It has sockeye and they have been open to retension.

If you are talking about fishing the chehalis, that river reacts very quickly to rain...it can come up a foot as it rains...not a day or 2 after...and then it drops just as fast.  I am not convinced that there will have been enuff water thru the chehalis yet for the fishing to be good.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 08:10:22 AM »

Exactly...if F2M is talking about hucking some spoons in the harrison or something like that, I would say go for it but if he wants to head right up to the chehalis, I would say he is better off at the harrison or the vedder.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 09:33:55 AM »

Sorry guys, but the Chehalis does have a sockeye run. They spawn above the lake.
Actions speak louder than words.

Sandhead

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 10:45:25 AM »

Does the Harrison have foot/shore accessable spots other than hiking down the to the mouth of the Chehalis?
Ain't no HO like a COHO

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 10:57:14 AM »

Sure, lots, the easiest access to the harrison is at the #7 bridge crossing ( just a couple hundred yards east of Sasquatch Inn).

Hey Biff, has the chehalis ever been open for socks...I am quite sure the answer to that is no which still makes me think F2M was at the harrison.  How big is the soc run on the chehalis anyhow.   F2M said he did quite well for them (socs on the chehalis) that just doesnt sound right?!?

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 12:19:34 PM »

the lower part runs through the reserve, and there have been people threatened with trespassing...

Your best bet is either the golf course, or rebecca spit (correction: Vincent Spit), or the mouth of the fraser... Coho will be staging there for sure.

Cheers,
nicole
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 02:12:57 PM by Nicole »
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 12:22:27 PM »

I was at the Chahailis on last Saturday scouting it out and yes , there were sockeye in the hachery channel and up at the Easter seal run . They were nice red and green in color . The water was barely flowing through it was so low . I e-mailed Rodney pics to post here but maybe he didn't recieve them yet .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 12:23:15 PM »

Gooey, to the best of my knowledge the Chehalis has never been open for sockeye retention. As for the sockeye run, I don't really know too much about it but I can assure you that they're in there.
Actions speak louder than words.

UMAKKO

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 01:21:29 PM »

Can we access the Harrison through the golf course?  I wonder where I can park my car.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 02:02:38 PM »

prior to the construction around the bridge, I could park on the shoulder right at the bridge and just wal down the bank.  I doubt the golf coarse wants you cutting thru their lands to access the river.

Has anyone driven by there lately?  Is the construction finished?  any no parking signs???

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 02:11:39 PM »

Oh Jeez, my mistake, I was thinking of Quadra Island this morning! Losing it in my old age :)

You are right, Vincent spit :)

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

UMAKKO

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 03:10:44 PM »

The construction was not finished at all last Saturday.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 12:04:23 AM »

The aquaium yes, but Kelly's hole, no... Where is that one?

I have researched every square inch of the harrison using satellite imagery recently, so chances are I know it, but have no idea what the name is :)

Cheers,
Nicole

-Garrett Hardin

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2006, 12:42:52 AM »

Nicole are you doing it on Google Earth?