Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehalis river  (Read 4057 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Chehalis river
« on: October 05, 2006, 09:41:14 PM »

I was just wondering if anybody knows if they have done any digging on that river by the campground to redirect the river back towards the hatchery. This would definatly be a great time to do the work as the river is so low. I know that they did do some last year but they still had some work left to do and they where supposed to do it this year. I hope someone can help.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
Re: Chehalis river
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 09:42:25 PM »

I hope so as well, I was really hoping to hit up that one for some HO's later on!!! :o

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 10:23:20 PM »

I heard nothing has been done

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Pat AV

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 08:34:37 AM »

I heard it was diverted back to it's old channel but I have not seen it myself so I cannot vouch for the acuracy of third hand reports. Last time they dug they did not do any rip rapping to go along with it and at first high water the river went back to it's old route.

I will be hiking to the mouth on tuesday so I will report back to confirm or deny the digging. If the river is back at the hatchery I will go inspect the work below easter seal to see if they rip rapped this time!
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 02:27:31 PM »

just spoke with the hatchery, there was some grading done from the easter seal and it sounded like down to the hatchery too.  Currently there hasnt been much water diverted and with the current water levels, there is next to no flow down to the hatchery.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 07:32:55 AM »

they did, but the river has started to go through the tree's again! My dad took me to a spot on the lower river, when it had water that would produce quite well. Looks like a good spot, but ever since the river changed dirrection, that spot is usually really low and dry! We need to do something about this!
Fish killer 101

Pat AV

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 08:19:10 AM »

"We need to do something about this!" Quote Younggun

I do not think it is a conservation concern but it definetly lowers the amount of fishable water on a river that already has tough access. The river has been alot quieter since the change and that has hurt local business. I think it would be good just to take pressure off of other systems to re-route the Chehalis so people could start fishing it more again. What the impacts of the re-routing would be on the fish that occupy the present channel through the trees would be important to look at before re-routing.

If re-routing can be done in a way that would not harm fish in the existing channel I say go for it. but please do it right! They are just wasting money and time by digging and not riprapping IMO.

No easy answer to this one!

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 09:53:32 AM »

thats for sure, the problem with the water running through the tree's is there is less water to fish, and the fish them selves have to jump over a million dead falls, and other debrie! Which takes its toll!
Fish killer 101

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 11:12:32 AM »

they did, but the river has started to go through the tree's again! My dad took me to a spot on the lower river, when it had water that would produce quite well. Looks like a good spot, but ever since the river changed dirrection, that spot is usually really low and dry! We need to do something about this!

I haven't been on the Chehalis since July, and back then there had been no attempt to re-direct the channel. I don't know when there was any high water after this point this year. I suppose we had a few days of rain, but not enough consistant rain to do anything to alter the channel.
Actions speak louder than words.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 01:06:59 PM »

there's always fish in the river and in good numbers but it sucks that most of the fishing pressure is concentrated on 1/3 of the river!
Fish killer 101

Pat AV

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 04:03:11 PM »

Cammer- Good to hear we have an expert in our ranks. What has been done differently this year to prevent the water from taking it's old course again once the water comes up? Did they place any rip-rap? Any feedback would be great!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 04:27:01 PM »

When I spoke with the hatchery, the guy there said that very little change was made that will be permanent (ie not affected by the next high water).  Apparrently they wanted to minimize trapping of fish in the channels between the hatchery and the bible camp so that was cleaned up and they graded the river bed but really didn't alter its coarse at all and they didnt ad any rip-rap either.

Oh well, looks like its going to be the same-old same-old this year on the chehalis.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 04:34:22 PM »

When I spoke with the hatchery, the guy there said that very little change was made that will be permanent (ie not affected by the next high water).  Apparrently they wanted to minimize trapping of fish in the channels between the hatchery and the bible camp so that was cleaned up and they graded the river bed but really didn't alter its coarse at all and they didnt ad any rip-rap either.

Oh well, looks like its going to be the same-old same-old this year on the chehalis.

You make it sound like a bad thing  ;D
Actions speak louder than words.

Pat AV

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 04:44:59 PM »

I wonder why they dig if the first high water will route the channel back to it's old course? Sounds like a poor way to spend money since excavators don't come cheap!

Glad to hear the fish being stranded in the old channel was considered!

Sandhead

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 05:26:18 PM »

Love the Chehalis system, great memories...

Visited this summer and its a shame that the hatchery is high and dry.

They dug out the Chehalis before and it still diverted. It must be killing that B&B (rowans?) on the river...

Ain't no HO like a COHO