Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help needed: short-floating...  (Read 2728 times)

Sinaran

Help needed: short-floating...
« on: October 04, 2006, 07:07:16 PM »

I find this fishing method interesting and challenging (although i caught more fish chucking spoons), so i wish i could master the fundamental skills of it. there's a problem i am dealing with every time i am out short-floating at the rivers... there seems to be always a slack line to the float, but when i try to tighten it up a bit i just end up pulling the whole thing toward the shore. appreciate any input!! thanks!
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Sinaran

Re: Help needed: short-floating...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 07:11:27 PM »

What kind of reel are you using?
a baitcaster.  abu TGC6000C   
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 07:21:14 PM »

Sounds one of two things:

1. you need to keep your tip up during your drift, and free spool the line with your thumb.

2.If your free spooling is not spooling fast enough and causing drag, like you may need to loosen the magnetic spool control. I had that problem with my shimano  speedmaster years ago, and I had Mike's reel repair fix it... Or you may have the wrong oil packed in there, colder weather may cause it to not freespool as well as it should.

Look at what I found, Mike's Reel Repair has a forum!

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/phpbb/index.php?sid=335e99e4494b1675761fdb5ffc398b43

Good luck with that...
Nicole
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 07:29:12 PM by Nicole »
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 07:22:52 PM »

As long as you dont have your line tooooo slack then when that float dips it will tighted up a bit and then it gives you time to set!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 09:44:07 PM »

Like Nicole said, you need to hold your rod higher to take the slack out.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 11:59:18 PM »

A possible problem could be drifting in too slow a water, such as a slow pool. Try a run with moderate current.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 10:32:27 AM »

The farther out you cast, the more line you will have to hold out of the water, so sometimes some line in the water can't be avoided.  Does this happen on short and long casts and what is the water like you are fishing.

As well, rod length may play a factor, there is a reason everyone fishes 10.5 foot rods  ;) or mayybe your line is too heavy, what lb test and brand are you running?

dmuskrat

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 11:41:03 PM »

Higher test line will cause a bow.  I use 12 lb mono for mainline, allowing me to have a straighter line between float and rod tip.

Water on your line near the float will cause the line to sag more.  If you see it after you cast, try to get the line out of the water and give your rod a tap.  Tap hard enough that the water shakes off your line and the bow will be reduced.  Do it quickly after you cast and you will only miss a fraction of your float through the run.

Sinaran

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 02:39:22 AM »

The farther out you cast, the more line you will have to hold out of the water, so sometimes some line in the water can't be avoided.  Does this happen on short and long casts and what is the water like you are fishing.

As well, rod length may play a factor, there is a reason everyone fishes 10.5 foot rods  ;) or mayybe your line is too heavy, what lb test and brand are you running?
yes gooey, that happened to the long casts, on a moderate flowing current.   i was using 15lbs main and 10lbs leader, both maxima
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Sinaran

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 02:43:46 AM »

Higher test line will cause a bow.  I use 12 lb mono for mainline, allowing me to have a straighter line between float and rod tip.

Water on your line near the float will cause the line to sag more.  If you see it after you cast, try to get the line out of the water and give your rod a tap.  Tap hard enough that the water shakes off your line and the bow will be reduced.  Do it quickly after you cast and you will only miss a fraction of your float through the run.
hey, will try that on my next outing, thanks man. :)   btw, i was using 12lbs main and 8 lbs leader before, and the main line broke once on a coho that took it downstream, and the leader broke 3 times, all with chums i would say, coz the line was cut pretty nicely. (gotta love those jaws eh!)
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 07:31:29 AM »

15lb maxima isnt that heavy, thats what I run on my center pin and I dont have any issues with line dragging in the water.  Then again, I am fishing a 3113 (11'3) center pin so there is alot of rod to help control the line.   could be its just too long a cast into too slow a drift.

Ribwart

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 11:04:33 PM »

Hah!~! I Didn't even know you had put up that short floating article Rod!!! Nice.  8) I had been away for a while...and that great little article and this thread likely went up while I was gone....kinda like looking away from your float and missing the strike huh?  :o lol  :-[

...and here I went off on some other thread about the benefits of short floating thinking I was actually saying something many people hadn't heard before and everyone had likely already read it here...lends new meaning to the term "ya heard it here first folks...." :D
boy do I feel dumb...oh well wouldn't be the first time... ;D
well done Rod, nice read...
rib
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 11:24:39 PM by Ribwart »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 11:54:49 PM »

That article was put up in 2003. :) All of the articles on the website can be found in this section:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/index.html

Ya, missing float dives, I'm known for that... :-[

Ribwart

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2006, 09:24:01 AM »

2003? woa!  :o  I really fell asleep at the wheel on this one...

Thanks for running such a great site Rod, so great in fact, it even has stuff on it you never even knew was there...

:-[
rib