Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fishing with spoons.....  (Read 3313 times)

lineBroke

fishing with spoons.....
« on: October 11, 2006, 05:34:01 PM »

hi all....been reading many threads about flossing and BB'ing and how it is not recommended.....point taken...First off, I'm pretty new to the sport, been fishing on / off for a couple of years but getting to be an addict fisherman day by day and can't wait to get out more. Went out yesterday at the vedder and started fishing with some home made spoons and was wondering if I should be doing something different....My set up was a 10 lb line with 8 lb leader of about 2-3 feet with a split shot just above the spoon. Medium action rod of 8 feet with a spinning reel. Cast out and try slow retrieve.....no action. Tried faster retrieve...no action. Should I be putting some color wool with that spoon and also, does fishing with spoon require float?...thx for any help.

Anyway...good day of fishing on the water none the less. Made some roes for the first time yesterday and hoping to try that next week on the vedder, will be my second time trying with that setup. Hoping for a better result. Love the forum and read it as much as I can.

Oh, one more note....does fishing without float....pencil lead sinker with a 2 - 3 feet leader be considered BB'ing or flossing?.....thx again for the input.

cc

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
Re: fishing with spoons.....
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 06:35:39 PM »

Try the canal lower down and fish the still or very slow water.  Other good locations to use spoons are the Harrison (when there is water), the Stave and the Nicomen slough as well.  Don't forget the mainstem Fraser, lots of fishing especially fresh chums coming in on the high tides.  Good luck

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 06:42:01 PM »

I think the flossing thing is more of a leader length and fishing style issue than what kind of weight you use.  The longer the leader the more it can get stretched across the drift and cross through more fish.  Flossers hope that their leader will pass through their mouth as the fish swim up stream and have the hook follow. 

As far as spoon fishing goes.  Keep trying stuff.  I typically tie the spoon directly to the mainline without a leader.  You can use a float or no float, it all depends on how slow of a retrieve you want.  yarn is good to hold scent, but isn't always needed.  Good luck and keep practicing.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 08:12:22 PM »

I do not use additional weight when fishing spoons. The most effective retrieve is dead slow. If your spoon is spinning you are retrieving it too fast. It should wobble slowly side to side.

lineBroke

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 08:19:25 PM »

thx a lot guys for the fast response.....will keep trying lots of different things and to remember to retreive dead slow with spoons....

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 08:24:16 PM »

Also try some of the recently dug ponds that were created for gravel extraction if you wish to fish spoons. I would suggest the one at the head of the Vedder Canal upstream from the Keith Wilson Bridge there is some coho there. ;D

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 10:36:26 AM »

I like fishing spoons in slow deep pools...just cast and retrieve. I vary the retrive rate to try and find the best action for that particular spoon.  Generally speaking, a narrower spoon will need a quicker retieve to get the desired action compared to a wider spoon. 

I have tried spoons in shallower runs with less success than the pools.  The main thing to point out about fishing a run as opposed to a pool is that you fish the spoon much differently. 

I find that when fishing a run or a trough, you really dont need to reel that much.  cast out perpendicular to the shore line, as the curent sweeps your spoon down river, it will empart an action to it.  All you need to do is hold back and occasionally lift the rod tip or reel in a little if you are hitting bottom to hard/often.  When the spoon gets close to shore or into the shallows, I usually quickly reel it in.

goinfishin

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 10:42:45 AM »

Are spoons  generally better than spinners in the pools?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 04:05:35 PM »

Difficult one to answer. One day it's the spoon that's catching, the next day it could be the spinner.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 04:22:17 PM »

My little tackle box in my vest has the following:
spoons: crocs, kitimats, cohos
spinners: swivel spinners and blue fox vibrax
Jigs: marabou and a few rabit strips

I have fished the same pool on a variety of days and sometimes its spoons, some times its spinners, and often its jigs.  There really is no one set rule, thats what makes fishing so challenging!

You just never know thats why I change up lots!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 08:30:08 PM »

This is what my box looks like right now.

The three colours that seem to work well for me are pink, green and silver. :) Like others have brought up, it really depends on the condition. I like to carry different sizes of lures (1/8oz, 1/4oz and 3/8oz) for different flow velocity and depth. Clarity also comes to play, bigger spoons are used in dirtier water, while tiny ones are used in gin clear pools.

I am not fond of using spinners in moderate flowing runs. I prefer to cast out a spoon, let it drift down as I retrieve slowly. This especially works well in a tailout where I can usually entice a coho or two to strike. I use most of my spinners in stillwaters, or in the Tidal Fraser River.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 08:50:02 PM »

Thanks for giving me the yellow ones Rodney ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 09:32:28 PM »

No problem, have to make myself look better. ;D