Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rivers?  (Read 1708 times)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Rivers?
« on: October 04, 2006, 04:03:18 PM »

I have only fished the Vedder and Fraser Rivers, and am very thankful for great fishing so close to home, but my question is how great do other Rivers compare to these. Since I havent been able to fish anywhere else other then these system, Is there systems that produce just as much or more salmon/ steelhead runs then the Vedder? I have heard Northern BC, and Alaska have great River Fishing, Is this true? How about Vancouver Island? I would like to know how other Rivers compare to the Vedder and Fraser, while keeping comparible size in reason. Any past experience is good to.
The Bigger The Better!

Pat AV

Re: Rivers?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 04:54:08 PM »

There are lots of other great rivers, although the Vedder and Fraser are great in their own right. Northern BC and Alaska have some unreal fishing and the rivers are generally much quiter and the anglers generally disply better ethics.

I have not fished Alaska very much but I am sure the opportuniites are endless.

I have fished Northern BC more and will say this, I have had days on rivers the size of the Vedder where catching coho after coho in the 15-20lb range was common. Most of these days I saw no other anglers or maybe just a few. There are so many good rivers in some areas up north that you don't know where to start.

That said I do not think any of these rivers can compare with the Fraser for total salmon returns even the ones that are of comparable size.

I will let somone who knows more about the island adress it if they wish as I have only fished a few rivers over there.

I don't know if that is what you are looking for but I wolud suggest heading to the Yukon, Alaska and Northern BC while you are young and finding out for yourself if you truly love to fish you will have the time of your life and will never regret it.
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 11:54:22 PM »

I don't know if any river can match up to the Fraser. Perhaps Skeener.  But for the Vedder, the Stamp in Port Alberni has more red springs and coho. Its winter run steelhead rivals or better than Vedder, and it has summer runs that Vedder lacks.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 02:46:50 AM »

Thanks for your replies. I would love to take a trip up to Northern Cananda to see what its like.
The Bigger The Better!

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 06:56:29 AM »

There are many great rivers on the Island that people can fish.  Most of the bigger ones have hatcheries, but only a few have accessibility like the Vedder does, which for most people is the key reason they fish it. 

The Stamp river has good fall salmon fishing as well as steelhead opportunites and while I have never fished it, the Gold is probably the same.

Nitinat river produces some of the largest chinook and it is rightfully regulated as well.  I have fished this river a couple of times and for its isolation, there is a good presence of undercover and plainclothes officers there to watch for snaggers.  Good on 'em in my books. 

The Cowichan is probably the most famous island river offering salmon, steelhead and good resident trout fishing.  It has a healthy population of self-sustaining brown trout too.

Most of the rivers provide wonderful mouth fishing like the Big Q for Coho and Chinook, or the Oyster for its Pinks, the Campbell and Quinsam system for the Tyee Pool. 

There are lots - just grab a map and take a look and most likely you will find a river that offers opportunities.  You will need a backroads mapbook to get access to most and a good set of walking feet and adventurous spirit to get to the rest.  Enjoy the island.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 09:13:00 AM »

I have only fished the Vedder and Fraser Rivers, and am very thankful for great fishing so close to home, but my question is how great do other Rivers compare to these. Since I havent been able to fish anywhere else other then these system, Is there systems that produce just as much or more salmon/ steelhead runs then the Vedder? I have heard Northern BC, and Alaska have great River Fishing, Is this true? How about Vancouver Island? I would like to know how other Rivers compare to the Vedder and Fraser, while keeping comparible size in reason. Any past experience is good to.

On a smaller Vedder sized river that is more remote you will likley have better success. Not because of larger run sizes but more due to lack of fishing pressure. You'd be amazed at how agressive undisturbed fish can be.
Actions speak louder than words.