Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cp question  (Read 3959 times)

frenchy

cp question
« on: October 01, 2006, 02:24:37 PM »

I know that lot of things have already been discussed about center pin, but I have some silly questions  ::)
I saw that most of the cp rods have the reel seat very low. I understand why using a cp reel may be enjoyable. However, I do not understand the low position of the reel. It does not look really pleasant to me. It seems to me difficult to obtain a good balance and to easily control the drift with such a position.
can you explain me?

sassyboy

• Mining for Chrome
Re: cp question
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 03:34:45 PM »

With the CP you hand is above the reel when drifting and you use your pinky to control the speed of the reel for the drift, (unlike a drift rod and reel set-up where your hand is below and you are using your thumb) the balance on the rod and reel is just right.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 03:41:57 PM »

I've built quite a few CP rods for guys and many have asked for a bit longer butt handle. Traditionally the seat is quite low with only 6 to 8 inches below the seat. With factory rods your choices are limited but if you have the $$ a rod builder can make the rod up and put the seat where you want it.

frenchy

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 02:00:31 PM »

ok, thanks, but when handing the rod that low, it is not a problem when you have to strike? I guess not, I should try one once, to have an idea.
Do you know if it is possible to rent a cp combo, just to have a try?

shaunm

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 02:18:09 PM »

Just bought my first centre pin reel and rod - any tips on casting???? Not very easy at all! Cheers.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 02:25:01 PM »

Shaun, go with a little extra weight than you actually need and practice controlling the spool as the cast is in mid air.

Frenchy, when you hold a bait caster, there is 1.5-2 feet below for hand/the reel.  ON a center pin, there us usually only 8 inches below your hand.  What this means is that you have more of the rod infront of your hand with a CP...longer rod means bigger arc which = greater ability to pic up line or set the hook.

shaunm

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 02:40:05 PM »

I'll give that a shot. Just can't seem to get spool spinning at a good speed and end up casting short,  to the right.

I can get good distance but only if I keep rod up & start spool spinning at the 'top of backswing'.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 02:45:02 PM »

Just bought my first centre pin reel and rod - any tips on casting???? Not very easy at all! Cheers.

One thing that I found when casting a CP is that you have to start letting the spool release before you actually cast.  It's a bit counter-intuitive but releasing the spool and then starting your cast seems to get the spool spinning and will help alleviate the casting to the extreme right. 
President Club S. C. & P.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 05:09:52 PM »

Do you fly fish? To set hook on CP it's very much like fly fishing. And with CP casting is more or less like lobbing.

frenchy

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 05:14:48 PM »

yes I flyfish and actually I just realized that it should be the same kind of thing ::)
thanks

Ribwart

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 05:33:01 PM »

keep working on the casting and it will come....your pin will get worn in more as you use it and it will spin quite a bit better from one season to the next.....as far as casting goes it's all a matter of practice, but the main difference I found switching from a baitcaster,if I remember correctly, was using the CP is more like "swinging" the the weight through the air, meaning you must use your arms AND your shoulders.... whereas the baitcaster was more like a spinning reel cast, they are somewhat different.
 merc is right about letting the reel start to spin before the cast actually starts, but another real key is your release point, Ie: where you arms and shoulders stop moving at the end of your swing is critical, it will improve your power and acuracy...
hope that helps,
rib
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 06:15:47 PM by Ribwart »

shaunm

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 06:10:26 PM »

One thing that I found when casting a CP is that you have to start letting the spool release before you actually cast.  It's a bit counter-intuitive but releasing the spool and then starting your cast seems to get the spool spinning and will help alleviate the casting to the extreme right. 

I learnt this method after a couple of hours of trying and failing. But the other day I saw a guy who made it look so easy! He just seemed to hold reel with his little finger and released/casted in one motion - all very smoothly. Just wonderd if by letting spool release first, was I learning a bad habit at the very start of my CP career?

Ribwart

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 06:20:03 PM »

I don't think it's a bad habit....but i will tell you this, once you get really profiicent at casting the pin you won't even think about letting the spool start to spin before the cast starts or anything alse for that matter, and you will cast better than you ever did with the bait caster....it certainly helps to swing your shoulders in unison with your arms though, otherwise you end up putting too much effort in with your arms , for very little distance and control....when youare doing it most efficiently your whole upper body is swinging the rod and it looks effortless...I know it sounds like a contradiction, but its true...

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 06:25:20 PM »

I learnt this method after a couple of hours of trying and failing. But the other day I saw a guy who made it look so easy! He just seemed to hold reel with his little finger and released/casted in one motion - all very smoothly. Just wonderd if by letting spool release first, was I learning a bad habit at the very start of my CP career?
Depend what kind of pin reel (bushing or bearing) you are using,there are slight difference when casting bearing reel than bushing reel .Plus what kind of action rod you are using too.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 06:31:19 PM »

Frenchy, if you are having trouble getting the spool up to speed, a little extra weight will cetainly help.  As well, the idea of releasing the spool befor you cast is to let the spool build some momentum so that is an important step.  The more weight, the easier the reels will load up.

Is it a new center pin or 2nd hand?  Maybe the lube needs to be freshened up?