Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bottom Bouncing for Steelhead in closed area  (Read 2944 times)

nosey

Bottom Bouncing for Steelhead in closed area
« on: September 30, 2006, 08:28:56 PM »

A friend of mine was doing some garbage cleanup on the beach at the end of St.Elmo Rd. in Laidlaw the other day and encountered a small group[ of bottom bouncers, when he informed them that this area was presently closed to all salmon fishing they told him that they were quite aware of that but they weren't salmon fishing they were fishing for steelhead so this closure didn't apply to them.  After making a few inquiries I found that there had been people bottom bouncing down there all through this closure and no one had bothered them. Is this poaching or not where do YOU draw the  line between the spirit of the law and the letter of the law? ??? ??? ???

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
Re: Bottom Bouncing for Steelhead in closed area
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 08:32:59 PM »

Why bottom bouncing for steelhead,i just dont understand ::) ::) ::) ::) >:( >:( >:(

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 08:41:42 PM »

Yeah doesnt make sense to me, Not like theres a HUGE run going though ???
weeeeeeeeeow!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 08:57:33 PM »

Roe Kid this was just a really sad attempt at using a loop hole in the system again.  ::) Mind you it isn't even a loop hole considering that you can't keep any Steelhead or coho from the fraser right now.   These are the kind of anglers that give the ones that care a bad name.  Everyone always seems to focus on the bad instead of the good, human nature I suppose.  Thus everyone builds an opinion on angling and it's anglers when they see things or read about things such as these.  Sad really, and another thing about it that is sad is that DFO apparently knew about it and did nothing. >:(
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 09:37:53 PM »

Unfortunatley actions like this will one day cause the river to be closed to sports angling at certain times of the year.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 12:06:33 PM »

DFO has classified steelhead as a salmon as of last year, so they were actually breaking the law... Next time tell them that...

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 03:44:18 PM »

Should have suggested to them to bar fish for steelhead instead. It is much more comfortable. Too tiring to fish by bb when your target fish is so few, and betties are not cheap. Just some fish dummies to me.  :D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 05:21:59 PM »

DFO has classified steelhead as a salmon as of last year, so they were actually breaking the law... Next time tell them that...

Cheers,
Nicole

Better yet, report them

nosey

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 07:50:56 AM »

Thanx Nicole I might take a drive over there today just to see if they're around, I don't know what the C.O. response time is out here, maybe it's time to find out.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 09:42:53 AM »

Thats just bloody ignortant.   >:(  Really the only steelhead going through those parts now is thompson river steelhead and we all know the status of that run...pretty sickening.