Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reel reliability info: have you had a reel break at the river?  (Read 3666 times)

norm_2

Reel reliability info: have you had a reel break at the river?
« on: September 30, 2006, 12:44:26 PM »

I am thinking of buying another levelwind, a Daiwa Luna.  Maybe we can share some information on reel reliability.  I am wondering who had a reel break when they were fishing and what broke?  I had a Quantum IR410CX worm gear go.  It gave me some warning so I could still fish.  I would recommend other brands over the Quantum.  I had an Abu 5500C3 worm gear go also.  I heard a little crunch and that was it.  I went to Fred's for parts and continued.   I am happy to say, the Calcutta has worked fine.

So is it usually the worm gear that goes?

I know a friend who brings a spare reel.  For me, I find my pack is heavy enough.  However maybe I should bring worm gear parts.  Does anybody do that?

So what is the word on a Daiwa Luna?  Who has one?

RIN, if you read this, you said that the insides look good.  Could you expand on this comment?

Thanks.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Reel reliability info: have you had a reel break at the river?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 12:54:49 PM »

I have been luck enough that in my hundreds of days on the river I have never really have a reel break while fishing.  Mind you I look after my gear really well and give it some attention after each and every trip. Mind you a worm gear is something that seems like it would just give out no matter what attention was given it.
  I normally use a Calcutta TE, but have also used an Abu Eon, Abu 6500, Abu 7000, Quantum Cabo PT along with others that I can't remember at the moment.  I have never had a real go on me so that I couldn't continue fishing.
  The Diawa Luna seems like a good one and they seem to have done there homework on it.  I was thinking about picking one up but just can't justify it right now with having a couple other perfectly working reels.  But if you don't have a top line reel, and are looking to get into one that would be one to look at.  Also look at the Calcutta TE if you are going to spend that much.  The Luna is a first year reel.  As I feel that Diawa has done there homework, this being a first year reel shouldn't matter that much, but keep in mind that it can't be perfect on the first try.  The Calcutta has had all of it's issues fixed over the years and is now the Class of the Market.  Good luck and I hope that some of this helps at least. ;)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 12:56:31 PM by Big Steel »
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 01:17:16 PM »

Norm, about 4 years back me and Winston both had our c3 6500s break in the same day. Winston had his worm gear get competley stripped out by a hot fish. I'm not too sure what happened to mine but when I cast out my hand would spin as the level wind fed out line. Really bizzare. But other than that, no real problems with regualr maintenance. Back to the point, we both now run calcuttas. We've never had any issue with ours. If you are happy with yours why not just get another calcutta, possibly in another size. Plus this way, you can keep extra parts with you and a lot of them will be compatable with both reels ie line pawls.
Actions speak louder than words.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 01:20:53 PM »

I had my old calcutta251 break at just the wrong moment. last year in july I was fishing with Winter steel searching for red Spring.  At last we found a pool where a fresh school had just moved in.  As I lined up in a good spot for a cast my reel would'nt spool!!  WS gave me his rod after a fish took the second drift,  So we saved the day.   That post can be found in last years archives.
Fish on!

norm_2

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 01:42:44 PM »

Big Steel, your cash flow is way larger than mine.  But I will dream I am using a TE.

Biffchan, I would buy a Calcutta 200 but I liked the Luna 203 line capacity.  I will decide at the store.

Bug Pumper, what actually broke on the Calcutta 251?  It sounds like you have caught too many fish and wore out the insides???

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 01:48:56 PM »

Big Steel, your cash flow is way larger than mine.  But I will dream I am using a TE.

I wouldn't think so but thanks anyhow!! ;D
 The only reason I mentioned the TE was because it is an awesome reel and depending on where you go, the Luna is almost the same price at the TE.  One shop I was at had the Luna priced higher than the Calcutta's.  Mind you from what I have learned over the years, this shop is notorious for that. ???
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 01:50:37 PM »

Never had a reel break on me... had a rod break though :D

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 03:21:18 PM »

Biffchan, I would buy a Calcutta 200 but I liked the Luna 203 line capacity.  I will decide at the store.

Bug Pumper, what actually broke on the Calcutta 251?  It sounds like you have caught too many fish and wore out the insides???

You're right, I landed alot of springs that year.  The part that broke was a clutch that releases the spool.
Fish on!

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 03:26:45 PM »

Never had a reel break on me... had a rod break though :D

Thats bad luck.
Fish on!

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 04:17:06 PM »

no.. I was just young and... excited shall we say? :D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2006, 04:21:19 PM »

I usually carry a spare reel when I fish out of town. Sucks to be driving that distance to have the reel break down.

jonteo

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2006, 11:26:15 PM »

I've replaced a pawl on my abu after years of fishing. Found out on the river on the first trip out this year that the drags were not working correctly. As I always carry an extra reel (another abu), I just swap out the reel and averted a potentially disastrous day. Carrying an extra reel is a small weight to add to the backpack considering how pivotal this equipment is (I work in IT so I know about backups!).

Can't comment on Luna but the abu's are very reliable and cheap. Very easy to take apart and put back together again. Parts are very easy to come by. I've since upgraded the drags with carbontex drags and new drag washers as well. That said, I will be getting my Calcutta 200 GTB next week which I will be using hopefully to get a few cohos... :)

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 08:58:10 AM »

I own 6 shimano's and have had 100's of hours with them.  My clients use them as well as myself and have never had issues.  I am however, fairly anal about maintaining them.  I also have 2 abu garcia 6601 C4's (2006 model).  So far no problems.  I have had Quantum's explode and have some friends who have had their drags freeze up on them. 

In my opinion, if you are going to buy a reel to last a long time, buy the shimano.  They've been making gears (bicycle and reels) almost longer than anyone and do it right.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2006, 06:18:15 PM »

1921: Shozaburo Shimano establishes Shimano Iron Works. Begins production of the bicycle freewheel.

Headshake

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2006, 10:13:50 PM »

My 2 cents. Haven't tried the calcutta, and it's really the reel to compare to, but everything else that I have tried by shimano sucked. rods broke, reel jammed and plastic parts on the corsair? I know it's a cheap reel, but come on. I used it twice, and took it back.

I am a daiwa lover. Have the luna. In my opinion, it has leap frogged the shimano. I know there are some shimano lovers out there, so I just thought I would give daiwa it's well earned support.
I'ts either a fish or the bottom!