Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: White springs fish of choice? Who would have thunk it?  (Read 4760 times)

fishfinder

White springs fish of choice? Who would have thunk it?
« on: September 29, 2006, 07:05:59 PM »

Hooked on fish
West Coasters love their wild salmon, but in Central Canada it's a hard sell

By JUDY CREIGHTON, THE CANADIAN PRESS  September 20, 2006

British Columbia's wild salmon catch has been phenomenal so far this summer, but the flamboyant fish is a hard sell when it comes to markets in Central and Eastern Canada.

"We don't really ship a lot of fresh B.C. salmon to the east because in fact consumers there haven't appreciated the quality of the product over farmed salmon," says Rob Morley, vice-president of the Canadian Fishing Company and director of the B.C. Salmon Marketing Council in Vancouver.

"Consumers here are willing to pay the premium," he says, "but we haven't been able to generate the same kinds of sales interest in Central Canada."

A spokesman for the council says that, so far, the coastwide commercial sockeye harvest has brought in four million sockeye salmon, the largest number since 1997. Numbers are expected to continue to increase to about 16 million before the season ends.

EXPORT MARKETS

Morley credits a conservative approach to managing the salmon fishery over the past 10 years for the increase in the harvest.
A large percentage of this year's production will find its way into traditional export markets in Europe, the U.S. and Japan.
Generally, of the wild salmon that remains in Canada, half is consumed on the West Coast in British Columbia. Ontario and Quebec each consume about 20% of the catch with Alberta taking in the balance.

North Vancouver fishmonger Kosta Zogaris is one of the biggest cheerleaders for West Coast wild salmon. He owns the Salmon Shop at the Lonsdale Quay where the Sea Bus, which serves the North Shore from downtown Vancouver, docks.

But his favourite wild salmon species lean to the less familiar such as chums, cohoe, the pinks and white springs.

"The white spring is the earliest fish, and this year for some particular reason it has been the choice fish," Zogaris said. "Other years the sockeye has been the first choice because of its colour and unique flavour.

"The first fishery for spring salmon starts in October, but we don't see it until January because the early fresh catches are very expensive. A kilo can cost between $34 and $44."

However, he adds that spring salmon caught at sea which are flash frozen are less pricey and the texture is little altered.
Spring salmon is a large fish, weighing in at more than five kilograms or more and Zogaris says its flesh comes in all colours from ivory white "all the way to dark red."

He says he can make "wonderful things out of the other species such as pinks and chums."

One method is to marinate them over two days, dry and bake them "and they come out like sockeye."

He predicts the day will come when these species will be recognized for their worth because of their flavour, texture and ease of preparation.

Morley, of the Salmon Marketing Council, believes that the message of wild salmon and its potential should be passed to chefs in other parts of Canada. "I think that chefs are the leaders in trends like that and turning people on to new and quality food."

For more information, visit bcsalmon.ca.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: White springs fish of choice? Who would have thunk it?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 07:26:13 PM »

I would have thunk it too.  :)

It's the most versatile and best tasting of the salmon in my opinion. Why? Because I used to be a cook in a restaurant and frankly when you can use white spring salmon baked, curried, pan fried, fish and chips style with cornmeal crust, paprikas (a hungarian style paprika based stew), smoked and used as a substitute for pancetta, plus many many many more...well white spring is the tops in my book too.

Fortunately most people have no idea how good it is for cooking (ironically it is only so-so bbq'd) so I get to enjoy it more  ;D

« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 08:03:51 PM by dennisK »

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 07:34:45 PM »

I actually enjoy White Spring very much. As Dennis said, it can be a very versatile fish in terms of cooking methods go. I've never really understood what the big fuss about Sockeye and Coho was. They all taste good to me. ;D ;)

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 07:58:19 PM »

All i can say is ,they need a good cook at home to make things tasty :D :D :D :D
Hey leapiny steely,havent seen your post for a long time,how are you lately???Hook too many fish ,no time to post??? :D :D :D :D

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 08:50:35 PM »

To be honest, I'm always amazed at how whites, chum and pinks are so frowned down on here. Grow up in the Mid west and it's considered a real treat...So I ship mine there.. :D...OK not really, I have bar b qued all of them and cook and marinated them too, I honestly haven't found one that I didn't like...

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 09:52:21 PM »

do em up right and wow you be suprized at the taste. my fav for the whites is fihnchips

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 10:30:41 PM »

For smoking I think White Springs are the best by far.. I like the taste of smoked chum but the texture doesn't do it for me.. the White spring has just the right amount of fat and it is the perfect texture.. plus the fact that they are a good size and one salmon can make a tonne of smoked candy !!

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 06:28:43 PM »

You can cook it in so many ways. They are like cods, but much larger.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 08:48:03 PM »

The white spring jack that I caught on Friday was very good table fare, fried it in butter and a few slices of onions. Makes your mouth water doesn't it. ;D ;D

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 09:55:28 PM »

You gotta try white springs for Sashimi!!  Freeze it got two days to kill any bacteria and parasites, then slice it up and enjoy with soya sauce and wasabi...and a beer!  Six small slices would cost you $10 in a sushi place.
Fish on!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 10:05:08 PM »

I actually don't like them. I really enjoy sockeye and coho and thats it. As a kid I hated all fish. When I got to be in my twenties I started liking halibut and sockeye. Coho came next. Tried some BBQ'd and baked white's and never liked it. I find that pinks are the perfect salmon for the smoker. The reason for pinks is they are smaller and easier to do. I also find that they soak up the brine much better and giving it an overall better taste. Chum would be 2nd in line for smoking.

My favorite seafood is shellfish by far and all of it. From eating raw oysters to steamed muscles, crab, lobster etc etc just love them all..

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Headshake

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 10:06:02 PM »

Got to be careful with the sashima my friend. Needs to be at -18 C or else larvae can survive. Got a worm once, and haven't been brave enough to try again since. Most freezers only go down to to -6-7 tops.

If you like, go right ahead. We love it, I'm sad that I don't have it anymore.
We choose soup, and fish and chips. Really can't beat it!
I'ts either a fish or the bottom!

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 10:36:08 PM »

Jeez!  Are you absolutely sure about that, did you read it somewhere?
Fish on!

Sandhead

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 04:34:19 PM »

You gotta try white springs for Sashimi!!  Freeze it got two days to kill any bacteria and parasites, then slice it up and enjoy with soya sauce and wasabi...and a beer!  Six small slices would cost you $10 in a sushi place.

You actually tried this? Brave soul
Ain't no HO like a COHO

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 06:22:19 PM »

Never tried it sashimi. Is it like tuna?