Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish Rolling, Vedder Sept.23  (Read 5950 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Fish Rolling, Vedder Sept.23
« on: September 23, 2006, 12:49:36 PM »

No this is nothing to do with the Leafs rolling right along but of course they are. ;D ;D

Out for the morning that started with the bottle run, noticed 1 hour before fishing time cars parked everywhere, all wanting to get into their favorite spot I guess. Not many party sites only 2 small ones maybe enough made to pay for the morning's double double. Worked the sites with a flashlight, ??? crazy or what ;D before heading to the Maple Leaf Stealth Run.

On arrival the fish were showing themselves every few seconds, they seemed a mixture of all species but all were tight lipped except I did have 2 chances (too slow on the strike) before the ML Stealth got sick of riding above water and down periscope. For once and for the second time this year, on the Vedder, I had contact with a salmon. For a few seconds I thought it was a coho but maybe it was all hope as it did not take long until the way the salmon on the end of my line was acting it signalled spring jack. As I got it close to shore my second thought was correct.

Wanting fresh fish for the week it sacrificed itself for the dinner table. I continued to fish until 8:30 but was offered only one more chance, for the third time of the outing I was too slow in setting the hook. ::)

Fish continued to tease me until I surrendered and I walked away wondering with so many fish rolling about why I was not getting more chances, maybe my roe sacks were too large, will correct that for the next trip on Monday.

Stopped at Yarrow on the way home for another coffee and one of their delicious muffins and then a quick walk out to KWB. The usual activity was in full force there with a number of springs falling to what I will call a unsportsmanlike manner. Some were long lining while others forget to put on a float all together. ??? Some others were shortfloating, trying to tempt the numerous fish I could see scooting about on the bottom in the clear water conditions seemly terrified of all the floats and weights buzzing by them every few seconds.

With the clock now at noon, time to head home for a nap, most likely will dream about all the splashing I heard today with little success to go along with it. However it was good to see a fair number of fish around setting the stage for some excellent fishing days ahead. ;D

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
Re: Fish Rolling, Vedder Sept.23
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 01:21:47 PM »

Worked the sites with a flashlight,  crazy or what  before heading to the Maple Leaf Stealth Run.

Hi chris,do you have a life?wake up that early,even earlier than first light? ;) :D.just joking.Thanks for the report for whats going on at the flow.I hope you have a better luck on monday,Have a good sleep,and you wont fall asleep while drifting  :D :D ;D ;D

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 01:31:55 PM »

Thanks CHris, I will be doing the flashlight deal in the morning as well. ;D  Hopefully I will be able to entice something into a decent battle!! ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 01:49:01 PM »

At Kieth wilson somewone should go setup with a bar rig reeeeaaaaalll early in the morning. ;D :D
I think that might work if there were 30-40 of the biggest guys on the forum that did it.!!  For some reason most people don't lip off and a big group of big guys!! ;D ;D

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 02:13:15 PM »

I can picture it in my head.. 20 guys sitting along the beach in chairs with rod holders infront of them.. and bbers standing with open mouths :P

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 02:18:01 PM »

If you organize the KW bar fish out, ill be there  ;)
The Bigger The Better!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 02:22:42 PM »

If you organize the KW bar fish out, ill be there  ;)

I think we would actually be looking for guys bigger than 150 soaking wet!! ;D ;D ;D  So that means that Rod is out as well!! ;D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 02:23:49 PM »

I'd be there, something I keep telling myself I was going to try.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 02:24:05 PM »

good thing i almost hit the scale at 160  ;D
The Bigger The Better!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 02:26:43 PM »

Looks like big steel and bb2000 are gonna have to pull most of the weight, 5 guys each oK? Rodney and birdman can work together and take a few little guys down.
The Bigger The Better!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 02:29:14 PM »

good thing i almost hit the scale at 160  ;D

Wow your HUGE!!!! ;D ;D  All joking aside, I don't know if something like that would actually work!!  Might cause some real big problems, and some of us have to much on the line to get into any of these kind of problems!!

Anyhow, sorry for the hijack, let's get back to the topic at hand!!  Why could Chris not hook into any fish??  Perhaps the Make Belief Stealth was making the fish laugh so hard, they didn't even see the bait go buy!!   ;D ;D  Oh Sorry, I forgot.  One small fish did hit, little tiny Jack Spring.  Figures, the springs aren't all that bright anyways!! ;D  I will test the theory tomorrow, when I use my fancy new floats that should be really stealthy!! ;) ;D

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 03:26:19 PM »

Yeah, there would be problems for sure :) and @$$e$ would start casting from across the other side

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 03:51:14 PM »

thanks for the report chris, Me and fishfreak had a fairly successful day today. Will post report when im done cleaning the fish!! ;)
weeeeeeeeeow!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 05:28:05 PM »

B.S. I'd be there in a heartbeat....they always say you'll find out who your real friends are when sitting next to them in jail... :D :D ....but somethings gotta happen along those lines...

C.G.  I'm sad you didn't do better but I'm delighted it wasn't only me this has happened too...See you all tomorrow...

ko

out fished hmmmm
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 05:35:55 PM »

well the wife and i got up reallllly early decided to hit lickman hole nice little chute there. just staryted to get light threw in the first cast bam. not sure what it was most likley a jack spring, very clean wife went to tail it broke off. kept it cool! while im retiyng bam she hooks s jack spring, so iset the rod down tail the fish , and a successful release. go back to our spots fortunate no one has steped in, start to retie again, bam she hooks another, so put the rod down again help tail it , nice little ho jack, succsesful release. still trying to get my line in the water,finally can start fishing again. no more fish just some strikes for both. not quite the greatest spot to fish for hos, everyone there is fishing for spring , so line is out of the water waiting for guys to kill the dirty spring well, i think most of you know how it goes . so anyways great day to be on the flow good company , few fish caught ,and have to say first time out fished buy the wife, sure it wont be the last,shes well taught.MAN DID I HEAR THE BANTERING. all in good fun.