Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crowding at Vedder  (Read 5723 times)

Youngin

• Old Timer
Re: Crowding at Vedder
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2006, 11:15:44 PM »

You guys are so violent.!!! Flare guns?! Fishing knives?! come on!! if you see an @$$hole fishing beside you give him space. injuries don't have to occur over fishing.
Honestly, you guys are making the vedder sound horrible!! but it's not!! if you're willing to go for a little hike you can find your self a nice spot with no or minimal crowding!

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2006, 11:20:32 PM »

Ithink that they are trying to scare people away from the river. I have never had any problems on that river. But like you said just go for a walk and find some water.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2006, 11:21:36 PM »

Stay out of the high and the low and you should be fine! Still miles of water left.  Have never seen a fight on the Vedder but it must happen!

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2006, 09:30:10 AM »

as AliG would put it, RESPEK!

give people space, say hello, dont be a dick.  People who have fished the vedder for a while and are having a hard time putting up with the crowds that are coming now have to realize that the river doesnt belong to anyone...and those that are relatively new to the river, like myself, need to realize that there are guys that have been fishing there for their entire lives, and we should give everyone a little respect and try not to crowd them so much.  If a run looks crowded, I wont even bother going near it.  I'll either find one that isnt, or if i cant, I'll watch for a while and call it a day, and chalk it up to not getting up early enough.  Too many people think its their "right" to a spot and show complete disregard to those around them.  If everyone did that and showed a little respect, you'd find that you can still have a good time without pissing people off.  Its nice just to be at the river....with time, some people figure this out.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2006, 11:23:39 AM »

Marmot, you are bang on... Respect is in order, and don't try and jam into a spot just because you roll in at 8am... Go where there is space. This is why I fish in the afternoon, I need space. And most people are fine to let me have it, especially when I'm using the spey rod...

The odd character makes an excecutive decision on how much space I need or steps below me, and I tell them I'm stepping through the lie and to start above me... I tell them I'm going to be 10 more minutes and they can have the whole run when I'm done. They're nomally fine with this, and they apologise and fish above me until i'm done.

The odd one does not, and I make a point of some really close calls, and act like I don't know what I'm doing... And usually accompany it with, "you might get hurt, watch out" and usually their perception of damage from some unknowing girl is enough to back off.

I particularly enjoy swinging a nice wide cast right by someone's ear with my gear rod, it very quickly clears space :)

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2006, 11:24:43 AM »

As Marmont says..Respect for each other goes a LONG way...only problem I have had while fishing was suicide creek last year..on a hole that would be crowded with four guys..fourteen tried to fish it...I won't go into details but it wasn't fun...

On the Vedder I have walked into runs and seen the older guys turn and look at you like...God another one ?.....I have found that when you stop and talk to them and even "ASK" where they'd like you to fish...you'll find some pretty decent guys, good stories and future friends in some regards...

I have had the same thing happen to me in return..(guess i'm not that young anymore either)...Young guy, big guy too walks up the run, looking it over....kind of guy you'd think would just butt in???.... Nope, walked up to me, asked how the fishing was, laughted when I told him what I was trying to do...and asked if I minded him starting above me?.....Things like that make your day, instead of ruining them!!!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2006, 11:48:36 AM »

The odd one does not, and I make a point of some really close calls, and act like I don't know what I'm doing... And usually accompany it with, "you might get hurt, watch out" and usually their perception of damage from some unknowing girl is enough to back off.

I particularly enjoy swinging a nice wide cast right by someone's ear with my gear rod, it very quickly clears space :)

Cheers,
Nicole

I hear ya Nicole. I do the same thing.  ;)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2006, 12:30:56 PM »

As Marmont says..Respect for each other goes a LONG way...only problem I have had while fishing was suicide creek last year..on a hole that would be crowded with four guys..fourteen tried to fish it...I won't go into details but it wasn't fun...

On the Vedder I have walked into runs and seen the older guys turn and look at you like...God another one ?.....I have found that when you stop and talk to them and even "ASK" where they'd like you to fish...you'll find some pretty decent guys, good stories and future friends in some regards...

I have had the same thing happen to me in return..(guess i'm not that young anymore either)...Young guy, big guy too walks up the run, looking it over....kind of guy you'd think would just butt in???.... Nope, walked up to me, asked how the fishing was, laughted when I told him what I was trying to do...and asked if I minded him starting above me?.....Things like that make your day, instead of ruining them!!!

Very good points golfman. I always make a point of asking other people if I can slip in above them. Usually most are very nice and  don't seem to mind. Of course that could be because I won't ask unless it is a large opening. I've even had people wondering why I'm asking to step in, like its a completly foreign concept to ask before butting in. I've also had people completly blow up in my face for asking to fish near them. I can hardly imagine the reaction I would have gotten had I just started casting.
Actions speak louder than words.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2006, 01:44:28 PM »

Well it's not such a big deal to have someone upstream, 15-20 feet is fine... But the big thing is that in order to roll the line out to perform the single or double spey cast, you generally need around 50 feet downstream to properly work the line.

In Addition, when flyfishers work the water on or near the hangdown (end of their swing nearest the shore), this water takes a bit of time to 'calm down' and have fish move back into it. I find people tend to wade too far out, and this spooks the fish out into deeper water.

Gear anglers have a tough time working this water, as they normally focus on the deeper stuff, so it's frustrating when you've waited for a piece of water to settle down and you're getting to the best part, working your way downstream, and some guy walks below you and wades in... At that point its not even worth yelling, the opportunity has already been lost and it's better to move on.

I hope I've made sense...
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2006, 01:48:09 PM »

Just show up looking like you did in the gun shots nicole...that will scare the hell out of anyone..