Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crowding at Vedder  (Read 5721 times)

Holdom

Crowding at Vedder
« on: September 17, 2006, 11:06:26 PM »

I was reading the book Fishing Mapbook Southwestern BC  by Wesley and Russell Mussio, The brothers. When it comes to part of describing Chilliwack/Vedder River , it writes as follows
"It is always crowded when the fishing is good. To avoid unnecessary confrontations with other anglers, please respect their space and move aside if someone hooks into a fish. I is aslo essential to time casts in sequence with other anglers and please do not mix fly casting and float fishing..."

For a novice angler like myself, who has never been to the bank, this warning is quite discouraging and makes me feel uneasy.  :-\To my understanding, confrontation or other distress are not what fishing is about. I woundn't doubt that majority of people by the river are kind and respectful. I just want to know how bad the things could become often? If Vedder will be more or less like a battle field or something, I would rather stay away from being part of it. Thanks in advance for your input.

Sinaran

Re: Crowding at Vedder
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 11:46:25 PM »

I am a newbie myself, but i've fished the vedder quite a number of time. What i would comment is, avoid fishing the canal area around Keith Wilson Bridge. It is like a hell hole, during the peak of the fishing season. Lots of the unethical fishermen (or they don't deserve to be called fishermen at all) are practising some very unfriendly way of fishing, bottom bouncing being the most hated one. Some guys do set their hooks every end of their cast, and that would just spook the fish away, not to mention it might also tangle others' lines. I don't mean they at the KWB are all bad, but most of the real fishermen would avoid that place and fish somewhere else. Go try the end of Lickman Rd., Vedder Crossing or Allison Pool(when it opens up). That's all i know of. Good luck fishing :)
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 12:13:23 AM »

Use a little common sense and you should be all right. If someone yells "Fish On", it means someone has hooked a fish. Be courteous and reel your line in and let the fishermen fight the fish. Wait til he either lands it/lose it, or he's gone downstream from where you are, then resume fishing. Most of the fishing pressure is concentrated in the more popular runs. If you don't like crowds, simply drive to another location. There are lots of spots to fish on the Vedder.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 09:42:23 AM »

Confrentation? if never seen anything like this at the vedder and if fished some gong shows ::) :P most it ever comes to is two fishermen cursing each other out.
[

Sandhead

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 10:13:07 AM »

If one of the guys next to  you hooks a fish, my advice to you is don't cast over his line. Nothing makes me madder than that!
Ain't no HO like a COHO

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 10:28:06 AM »

What the authors of that book are referring to is how crowded the Vedder gets when the fishing does become hot.  Crowding can get pretty unreal on the weekends, on the good spots to fish and people can for whatever reason get pretty rude.  Personally, I do not know why that is, but if you can get out during the week those are probably the best times to fish the Vedder. Less people - more enjoyment.  And don't forget, to not leave anything of value in your car. If you do have items like that lock them in the trunk of your car. Lot of break ins to vehicles occur during Salmon season.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 11:21:49 AM »

I would suggest staying far away from the flyfishers, they'll take your head off if you get too close...

I heard some guy lost an eye for getting too close to a flyfisher, they are dangerous!

And never step downstream from one if they're stepping through a run, or else you'll wish you had awoken a pack of rabid weasels instead...

;)
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 01:00:54 PM »

Now I know why they call you the Freak!  ;D
The Bigger The Better!

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 01:03:23 PM »

Gee fishfreak you could go and work for dog the bounty hunter with that bear spray  ;D ;D . i know that it does get extremly busy in the lower end once the white springs come in. That is when I go and hit another river. I won't say which one but the guys that I fish with know the one that I am talking about. Not only do we like to get away from the crowds but also the white springs and this system does not seem to have as many so you end up catching way more coho  ;D ;D and the odd clean chum ( although I have only seen one bar crome chum caught in about 5 years).

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 01:05:06 PM »

Fishing and alcohol don't mixed. Wouldn't surprise me in the least that these guys get into their car and drive home after a day on the river.  :(

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 06:20:18 PM »

It's way too crouded and the people are all too rude.  I'd stay away if I were you ;)

speycaster

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 06:44:25 PM »

thats why i always carry my 12 guage flare gun on the Vedder. ;D Guy looks like he might have bear spray i give him a shot of white phosphorus from about 60 ft. ;D They run screaming for their mommy. ;D

Murkeywaters

• Life long angler, arrived in BC Nov 2005 from UK
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 09:13:48 PM »

I don't have that much experience but have fished the river quite a bit for Steelhead and the early run of Springs in the last 10 months

It is intimidating as a beginer (or new comer as I am), but I found most of the guys to be really freindly and helpful as long as you are polite. I would just have a chat with a few guys when you get to a spot and just check with them how to do it so you don't get tangled or upset anyone, even ask where would be a good spot to fit in with everyone (that's how I got going).

I expereinced a few people who couldn't get the hang of rotational casting (hardly rocket sceince) but just be polite if they snag you, it's not worth getting too upset about (although easier said than done). Perhaps if I'd been fishing the river for like the last 15 years my patience might be a bit thinner.

Better still try and go out with someone who fishes there often and get them to show you the way. I agree that KWB is a joke and just gets too busy for me to have any interest in fishing it, but there's plenty of river so have a walk and you'll find some quiet (er) water.

cheers,

Paul.

Holdom

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 10:03:32 PM »

Thank you all. I appreciate your valuable comments, experiences and stories. I think I am now better prepared than previously. Really feel lucky I had found this nice online community. :)

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 10:10:20 PM »

Hmmm, I've never had anyone bother me, I find most fishers to be polite when approching ;D