Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: left handed Luna's are in the Stores.  (Read 6372 times)

ksan

left handed Luna's are in the Stores.
« on: September 06, 2006, 10:41:32 PM »

I saw these reels for the first time today. The wait is over.The drag on these reels is outstanding 

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: left handed Luna's are in the Stores.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 06:30:07 AM »

Never heard of  a Luna - do you have info? And why is it a big deal if it is left handed? Most people are right hand and right handed reels are abundant.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 06:39:57 AM »

most not ALL ;) And we need to fish to!

To me it makes no sence to cast and reel with the same hand. IMO you shoul have the strong arm battling the fish.so those that are truely right handed should reel left.

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 07:09:47 AM »

the reel is made by Daiwa and is new this past season. The left hand model just arrived at wholesalers yesterday and there has been some demand at tackle shops for this reel this year. The TD-L300L size is perfect for most steelhead and salmon fishing. 6 bearings, machined gold aluminum.Lots of line capacity. Kicks the standard Shimano Calcutta that is a 2 bearing reel.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 08:32:46 AM »

To me it makes no sence to cast and reel with the same hand. IMO you shoul have the strong arm battling the fish.so those that are truely right handed should reel left.

truely right handed should reel RIGHT  :-*

Why? Because reeling in a reel requires more dexterity and control then simply holding a rod. My left arm is more then strong enough to pull in the biggest fish (if your left arm is not strong enough to hold a rod - something is wrong with your arm), but reeling/adjusting drag/faster/slower retrieve/ etc all require dexterity which most right handed people have in their...wait for it....right hand!

ColinB

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 10:11:07 AM »

Why? Because reeling in a reel requires more dexterity and control then simply holding a rod. My left arm is more then strong enough to pull in the biggest fish (if your left arm is not strong enough to hold a rod - something is wrong with your arm), but reeling/adjusting drag/faster/slower retrieve/ etc all require dexterity which most right handed people have in their...wait for it....right hand!

I might not be able to write with my left hand, but I can sure as h*ll adjust and wind a reel handle with it. ;D  Strikes me there's possibly a problem with you left hand? ::)
Still if you insist on the right - left shuffle, buy a right hand wind reel. ???  It makes sense to you, but not to me! :-X

Colin

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 10:44:06 AM »

I might not be able to write with my left hand, but I can sure as h*ll adjust and wind a reel handle with it. ;D  Strikes me there's possibly a problem with you left hand? ::)
Still if you insist on the right - left shuffle, buy a right hand wind reel. ???  It makes sense to you, but not to me! :-X

Colin

Colin, you guys drive on the wrong...oops left side of the road over there, right?  ;D

Besides if right was not "right" it would be called something else.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 03:58:18 PM »

I'm with Colin on this one, I am right handed, but I reel left handed.  My left hand by far has enough dexterity to do the job!! ;)  I think a couple of my buddy's are almost converted as well!!  They have lost more than one fish during the transfer from one hand to another. Switching hands just doesn't make any fishing sense to me!!  But that may just be me!! :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 04:04:21 PM »

Learn to cast left handed. Problem solved. It's not difficult.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 04:06:57 PM »

Learn to cast left handed. Problem solved. It's not difficult.
Why would I want to, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!! ;) ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 04:16:16 PM »

Ah, what if you suffered an injury to your right arm while training ? ;D

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 04:23:42 PM »

I have and I have fished right through them!!   ;D  But, if worse came to worse, well that would suck, cause all of my reels are Left-handed!!  Hey, if a can run down a big Steely on a badly sprained ankle in the cold of Jan, on the slippery rocks, well then I think I can figure out something!! ;D ;D

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 04:32:54 PM »

How about those of us who are right handed but cast left but still use a right hand reel, are we freaks  ;D?

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 04:39:11 PM »

How about those of us who are right handed but cast left but still use a right hand reel, are we freaks  ;D?

I am with Freak, most of the time I will cast with my left and reel with my right, I feel if you are really right handed then you will reel naturally with your right hand, with myself there is no question.. when I try to reel with my left hand it feels very awkward and unatural...

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

weizen

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 05:23:04 PM »

I am with Freak, most of the time I will cast with my left and reel with my right, I feel if you are really right handed then you will reel naturally with your right hand, with myself there is no question.. when I try to reel with my left hand it feels very awkward and unatural...

Same here