Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: left handed Luna's are in the Stores.  (Read 6373 times)

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: left handed Luna's are in the Stores.
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2006, 06:39:28 PM »

How about those of us who are right handed but cast left but still use a right hand reel, are we freaks  ;D?

No thats perfect.

Reeling and Casting right is the original way they fished back in England and such. As time aged on, our equipment improved, our techniques improved, and it will only be time before logic takes over and there is a shift from right handed reelers to lefty's.  ;D

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2006, 07:43:05 PM »

I agree, switching hands is a waste of time and movement and eventually will cost you fish.

As far as the reel goes.. I don't know about the Luna "kicking the calcutta's butt".  check again, the calcutta 200 has 7 bearings + 1 roller bearing.  I would also venture to say that it doesn't touch the 14lbs of drag pressure. 

If the price is a wash, my money's on the shimano. However, if you don't want to fork out the $$ for the Calcutta, I'd go with the Abu Garcia C4 6601 (Left Handed).  Great reel for the $$, durable, smooth and won't be as much of a target to get ripped off.

fishfinder

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2006, 10:55:29 PM »

The best person to ask about the quality of reels (Calcutta vs Luna)  is the reel repaiir guy.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2006, 12:22:08 AM »

growing up fishing the saltchuck and using spinning gear, i got used to reeling with my left. i'm right handed, but i feel more comfortable with a lefty set up. it makes no sense casting with your right hand, then switching the rod to your left hand...just so that you can go back and reel with your right... ??? (so much for dexterity). its like catching a baseball with a right handed glove then taking the glove off to throw the ball.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2006, 06:08:45 AM »

it makes no sense casting with your right hand, then switching the rod to your left hand...just so that you can go back and reel with your right... ??? (so

I agree, so hold you rod in your left hand and cast with you left...

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2006, 07:26:10 AM »

[As far as the reel goes.. I don't know about the Luna "kicking the calcutta's butt".  check again, the calcutta 200 has 7 bearings + 1 roller bearing. 

I think you have the Calcutta te with 7 bearings mixed up with the regular calcutta with 4 bearings ( I was mistaken on having only 2)

Pull both reels apart and compare. I think you will like what you see in the Daiwa , but Shimano does have the long proven track record.

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2006, 07:27:18 AM »

I have heard that they do not have the smaller drift models in, Only the honking bb models.

there are multiple sizes available just the smaller ones are not in stock at this point as the market was waiting for the larger reels which are a touch more popular in BC.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2006, 01:17:00 PM »

In the Calcutta B sereies the 200GTB has 7 BBs plus one RB.  It has 11lbs of drag pressure I'm not sure how high the max drag is on the smaller Luna's but I think it is less than 11 because they rate them as H/MH (253) and MH/M (203) and the 300 size is rated XH/MH which I know has a max drag of 11lbs.  The calcutta 400 has 17.5lbs max drag.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 01:24:38 PM by Eagleye »