Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye Closing Date Announced  (Read 6780 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Sockeye Closing Date Announced
« on: August 29, 2006, 08:37:56 PM »

As I just posted on another thread sockeye activity will cease one hour after sunset on the 6th of September. Sportsfishing for now will continue on the Fraser river but as before the sockeye opening fishing selectively is being requested. Time to bring out the bar rods guys. ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Sockeye Closing Date Announced
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 09:44:55 PM »

Further to the above for anyone fishing below Mission the sockeye closure comes into effect 1 hour after sunset on the 4th.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 09:49:34 PM »

Thanks for the info Chris.

weizen

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 09:52:05 PM »

Thanks Chris,

Guess I better hurry up and get out at least once more!

Psaromania

• "Set the damn hook!!!"
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 10:10:16 PM »

Has DFO contracted you to make announcements now? If so, hope the pay is good. ::)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 10:31:21 PM »

As I just posted on another thread sockeye activity will cease one hour after sunset on the 6th of September. Sportsfishing for now will continue on the Fraser river but as before the sockeye opening fishing selectively is being requested. Time to bring out the bar rods guys. ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for the heads up Chris.  Always good to get the skinny on these things ASAP :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 10:15:33 AM »

Has DFO contracted you to make announcements now? If so, hope the pay is good. ::)
Just trying to keep people abreast of what is gong on as I Imagine people that partake in this fishery like to make plans of when they are going to go out on the flow.

As I receive or gather information on many topics I just pass it on as I have since I joined this forum. 8)

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 05:24:46 PM »

Thank you Chris.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 06:51:34 PM »

I understand your heavy involvement in the community and enjoy reading your posts, but without getting offended how is it you know before the DFO posts it on their web site for the rest of us common folk to read? Do you have snitches on the inside??

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 07:08:00 PM »

Usually the information comes from conference calls and from e-mails I receive. No big secret stuff here as I just try to stay abreast of the current news when it comes to fishing.

For those in doubt, of course they can wait for the official notices. ;D ;D

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 07:20:03 PM »

I don't discount the info as true, I was just curious as to how you become privy to such info. Thanks for the heads up, and unfortunately I have to work all long weekend and probably won't get to put another sockeye in the freezer. Is there still going to be a chance to catch springs during this closure, or is it going to be a complete river shut down?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 07:22:54 PM »

At this moment, it doesn't look like a complete salmon closure will be implemented, so chinook salmon are still available for those who wish to angle for them. The selective fishing method request will once again come in effect, as DFO wishes anglers to minimize catch and release of sockeye salmon, interior coho salmon and steelhead. If compliance appears to be low, then the river will go into a complete salmon closure, which would be unfortunate as there usually is plenty of salmon fishing opportunity in the Fraser River during early fall. Hopefully the tidal Fraser River will remain open as well for salmon fishing because late September and early October can be fantastic for spinning. :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 07:41:15 PM »

Yes the hope is that BB' ing stops on the 7th with the sockeye closure, if not, in mind it will be viewed in a very dim light not only by FOC but by many other anglers as well.

This too could lead to many further restrictions for all of us in the 2007 season.

I post this not to start another flossing debate but just to reinforce what FOC is fairly requesting of all of us.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 07:43:32 PM by chris gadsden »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 07:51:01 PM »

The 7th is my birthday, and it would be a nice present to see no bottom bouncing out there. :-[ Nothing wrong with bar fishing or lures.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 07:52:33 PM »

You're always trying to stir it up. ;D ;D ;D

From reading the emails and personal conversations etc, it looks like so far DFO has been pleased with the percentage of compliance prior to the sockeye opening. Although there are always problems that need to be identified and discussed over this winter, I think we are on the right track for a better relationship. :) Let's hang onto that bridge, which may lead to healthier future management. ;)

Here is a report by Chris from last year which shows a bar fishing day on the Fraser in early fall can be excellent.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=8488.0