Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye Closing Date Announced  (Read 6779 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Sockeye Closing Date Announced
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 08:09:30 PM »

The 7th is my birthday, and it would be a nice present to see no bottom bouncing out there. :-[ Nothing wrong with bar fishing or lures.
The chinook fishing should still be good. A friend of mine that was bar fishing today had a fablous day today as three of them landed 3 springs and lost some as well. Also were into a number of jack springs.

If the water visbility remaines like it is now drop down to a #2 and wait for the bell to toll. ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2006, 08:18:50 PM »

You're always trying to stir it up. ;D ;D ;D

Here is a report by Chris from last year which shows a bar fishing day on the Fraser in early fall can be excellent.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=8488.0
Just telling it how it is. ;D ;D ;D Thanks for the link, got me fired up about bar fishing again. ;D

Kevgor

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 10:35:21 PM »

Any good tips on how to barfish? All I know is you use a smaller rod, bigger wieght and acorn sized spin-glos. What does the tackle look like (leaders, leader strength, weights, etc). Oh, and a comfy chair and some malty pops.

I'm all for selective methods, but frankly, on the fraser, BB'ing is the only technique I've ever used.

Can you fish at the same bars that we've been BB'ing at? Do you cast far out or short in? Is the weight supposed to drift or stay in one place?

Kevgor
Kevgor -

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2006, 08:03:52 PM »

So area 28 is still open right?
Only Area 29 is closed?

blueback

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2006, 09:00:08 PM »

So area 28 is still open right?
Only Area 29 is closed?

The notices I've seen only refer to tidal Fraser; I haven't seen 29 closed yet. Please advise if I missed something. 

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2006, 09:59:36 PM »

Effective Saturday, July 29, 2006 and until further notice, in Area 29, except for Subarea 29-8, the daily limit for recreationally caught sockeye is four (4) .  This includes the tidal portion of the Fraser River downstream from the CPR Bridge at Mission, BC. until Sept 5 when these waters are closed to sockeye retention.

Not sure if this "these waters are closed to sockeye retention" includes other areas of 29 or just tidal Fraser. If just tidal Fraser shouldn't it say "this".

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2006, 10:06:07 PM »

Area 29 is not closed. The only section in Area 29 will be closed if not already (29-8) is the tidal Fraser River.

Tidal portion of the Fraser River" includes the Fraser River downstream of the CPR bridge at Mission to a line drawn from a fishing boundary sign near the entrance to Canoe Passage, then to a fishing boundary sign on Westham Island, then following the westerly shoreline of Westham Island and Reifel Island to Pelly Point on Reifel Island, then to Garry Point on Lulu Island, then following the westerly shoreline of that island to the most northwesterly point of Lulu Island, then to the most southwesterly point of Sea Island, then following the westerly shoreline of that island to the Iona Island Road Causeway, then following that causeway and continuing in a straight line in a northerly direction to a fishing boundary sign on the north shore of Iona Island, then in a straight line in a northerly direction to a fishing boundary sign on the mainland.  It also includes the waters of the Pitt River downstream of the CPR Bridge.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2006, 01:36:42 AM »

Thanx Rod. That sure is clear enough.

blueback

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2006, 10:36:16 AM »

Sweeeet!!!

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2006, 11:59:53 AM »

thanx to chris and rod for all the hard work you two do and for all the info supplied to all us fishermen