Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just whining........ (too all the sockeye heros)  (Read 4884 times)

Sinaran

Just whining........ (too all the sockeye heros)
« on: August 22, 2006, 04:58:42 PM »

woke up at 4am today( not easy especially on a dayoff) and headed to my destination. an hour and half later i am attempting to make my first cast at seabird island. my second trip to this bar and my second trial on sockeye in as many weeks. i was so determined to hook my first sockeye ever this time, and i believed i could make it. then there u go, first cast bam! fish on... it was on for a few second and went loose. i was thinking, wow, lots of action today and i am gonna get my first for sure !   then second cast, snag.....lost my rig, that's ok, i could re-rig, took me few mins and set i was ready to go again.. third cast, know what, the same thing, snag again.. different spot. lost my rig again and had to re-rig it. i moved a little downstream to avoid the snag. it didn't help, just shortly after the bouncie hit the bottom, i got snag again...... an hour later, i hooked into a fish, i got so excited and spirited, i finally hooked a fish!!!  i reeled it in carefully and just when i saw the chrome body of it and was gonna haul it up the bar, it jumped and the hook went bouncing up in the air..ok, no problem, i would keep trying. not gonna give up easily. the first one is always hard to get anyways.  then an hour and half later, i lost all my gear (bouncing betties, hooks, corky and even leader line!!)to the snags, ended up the i had to buy some from the guys who were leaving, paid like $20 for 9  2ounce BBs. man if u r reading this post, u did me a big favor , saved me a long trip to the local tackle shop.  know what, an hour later, i lost them all again.  :-[ :-[on different spots too. i don't know why this happened to me though, seemed like the snag were just hitting on me all day long. everybody was leaving with their limits, even the kid fishing below me brought two in. all this is saying I AM JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!  :'( :'( :'(
the DFO lady who was doing the survey there gave me a helping hand by rigging up for me. thanks lady u r just great.!  i left at around 12pm. expensive outing and eneded up in disappointment.  :-\
that's it for me and i am giving up on this sockeye madness because it has really turned on my madness!  i would stop whining now and good luck guys
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
Re: Just whining........ (too all the sockeye heros)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 05:25:35 PM »

Try braided line if you don't have it spooled up.  I used to lose a fair amount of gear but you solve that by going to a tougher and more sensitive line.  Just a thought.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 07:11:01 PM »

Sinaran I will be at seabird saturday and sunday come meet up with me and i will show you how its done  ;)
I will second the Freak on this one!!  Ever since I showed him how it was done, he has been slaying them every trip!!  You know Freak, you never really thanked me for getting you onto that spot!!  I wasn't lying about it was I!! ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 08:24:56 PM »

Thanks Dave much love
That didn't seem like it was very sincere!! ;D ;D

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 08:30:32 PM »

Using too muuch weight-why else are you getting caught on bottom all the time! ;D ;D ;D

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 09:02:21 PM »

saturday i also might make it out ;), lol sinaran, your day sound like mines and biffchan, We  must of snagged up 6-7 times each ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

Sinaran

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 10:06:39 PM »

Sinaran I will be at seabird saturday and sunday come meet up with me and i will show you how its done  ;)
great, thanks man, it would always be nice to learn from the pro. the reports u posted here really jealous me! :)   
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 10:50:06 PM »

OMG I wasnt the only one at Sea Bird with this problem! SNAG BIRD! >:(
Where abouts were you fishing on the bar?
The Bigger The Better!

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 12:56:46 AM »

Sinaran, don't fish the really top end of Seabird where every one stands in the water. Lots of snags unless you retrieve really fast. Also try to avoid casting too far upstream. Cast 11 or 12 oclock, then reel in slack line before letting it bounce, and don't let out line when bouncing until you are good at controlling the bounce. If you used 3 oz, try to switch to 2 oz. Good luck.

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 02:15:50 AM »

i found that using 2oz are the perfect weight for that bar as anything bigger you'll get snagged up  ;)and using braided line also helps,good luck and don't give up it's just a matter of time before you can't keep them off provided that they don't shut down anytime soon.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 09:03:20 AM »

Geez thats just great.
Just proves how much line and crap this fishery leaves behind.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 12:02:52 PM »

Geez thats just great.
Just proves how much line and crap this fishery leaves behind.
Hey Bruce, your cranky, go catch a fish!!  BTW, I also left with 2 fish early this morning and a bag of line and garbage.  If everyone just tidied up around them a bit, there wouldn't be this problem!! ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 01:59:41 PM »

Once again thanks for cleaning up the line etc. BS. It seems this is starting to catch on by a lot of people, good work by all.

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 03:59:32 PM »

I have never been to seabird , how early do you go to get a spot ? Do fishermen wade out or are they casting from shore ? How far is it past mission ? The reason why I am asking is I would like to catch my first sockeye of the year. I am one of those that get snagged 6 or 7 times loosing all my tackle . I will try to make it out .

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2006, 04:05:42 PM »

Seabird is just east of agassiz and a couple of km past seabird island cafe. There are areas with a few snags and we get there pretty early just to get the spot that we want. Once you make a few casts you can pretty easily figure out how to avoid the snag in front of you. I suggest that you fish with tuff line to make it easier to get out of the snag if you happen to get into it.

Tight lines.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day