Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just whining........ (too all the sockeye heros)  (Read 4885 times)

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
Re: Just whining........ (too all the sockeye heros)
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2006, 04:35:24 PM »

damm snags anyways. seems like picking up line and garbage is really catching on from all members of this board congrats to all of you we can make the rivers a nicer and cleaner place to fish and at the same time protect the inocent animals that get affected by all the junk left behind by other fishermen who just dont give a hoot when they pollute.job well done FWR members

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 04:45:21 PM »

what weight of leader is best at seabird and what length ?

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 07:53:42 PM »

what is the easiest way to seabird ?  take lougheed or hyway 1 to rosedale bridge then lougheed I am coming from burnaby .

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2006, 08:17:27 PM »

what is the easiest way to seabird ?  take lougheed or hyway 1 to rosedale bridge then lougheed I am coming from burnaby .

Hwy 1

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2006, 10:52:14 PM »

Oddjob, if you only hook up to sockeyes, then even leaders of 8-12 lb will do. Ah, the problem is, you may hook into a spring, and every one around you don't want to wait for you forever to land it...  ;D  Also, what happens when your skinny line crosses up with a snagged betty with a beefy leader of 30+ lbs strength? You lose every time. That is the tough dilemma.  ;D

Seabird bar has 3 sections. The top end is where every body stands in the water with wader. It is quite snaggy inside, and a slower retrieve of 3 oz weight will risk losing it quite easily. The section from the top to the start of the crescent-shape bar is very slow & deep inside, making it tough to bounce. Very few people fish it. Then the start of the crescent bar is the deeper spot where springs like to sit. Fish there if you want a higher chance to hook into a monster.  The shallower section below is also good for spring, but more so for sockeye. You should try to cast medium distance. Overcasting can get into snags, as well as too close to shore. As a rule to avoid snagging, try to cast 11 to 12 oclock, reel in slack line before bouncing, and maintain a tight tension in your line. Also retrieve earlier if you find snags closer in.

Good luck and tight line.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 11:02:35 PM by funfish »

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2006, 11:05:15 PM »

most of the other fishermen around me were using braided line and farly heavy leaders , I got tangled several times . I was using 14 lb leaders @ 10 feet in lengh .

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2006, 11:14:03 PM »

the crescent area or the bay area was full of people so I had to back to where there was an opening .When I cast at 11 the snag is around 12 os slightly before 1, sometimes I get everything back ,and sometimes I only loose the hook but most times I loose everything .