Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where do you fit in:

Floss anything that swims, as long as its hooked in the mouth its all good.
- 7 (7.6%)
I like flossing, I even head out and target fraser springs when sockeye are closed.
- 18 (19.6%)
Sockeye don't bite, so I don't mind flossing some for the BBQ each summer.
- 38 (41.3%)
Flossing isnt for me but the resource can handle it so have fun boys and girls
- 6 (6.5%)
Flossing is snagging and should be banned on every river.
- 23 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: Where do you stand on flossing?  (Read 17082 times)

fishfinder

Re: Where do you stand on flossing?
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2006, 11:03:56 AM »

I don’t use roe anymore for coho or steelhead. I used roe for more than 20 years amd I would on an annual basis easily land a hundred coho and fifty steelhead in a season. Did that make me a good fisherman?  Was it sporting or challenging? In hindsight  I would say not. I just made excellent roe that fish wanted to chew on. Fishing was easy and I looked like an expert catching lots of fish. I didn’t really challenge myself in any way because roe was my crutch and I didn’t evolve as a fisherman. Should roe be banned because it was so easy for me (and my friends) to catch fish with? No. Just because I don’t find it sporting to use roe does not mean others should stop using it too. Even though I have changed my fishing philosophy I do not wish to impose this philosophy onto other and belittle them because they don’t share my view.

Marmot and Merc made some excellent points earlier. Sockeye flossing does not make people lawbreakers or evil snaggers. We need to lighten up and agree that we have different points of view. No one is better or worse than anyone else. The floss mentality has moved to the Vedder but it’s done by mostly beginners who don’t know any better. There is no point in being condescending here to members who floss the Fraser because they’ve already said they don’t floss on the Vedder or Chehalis. Many even use centrepins. That point has been made clear in thousands of replies so give it a rest, please. As Funfish mentioned educating the beginners on short floating would be a great thing and everyone here should go out of his way to show beginners how to do it instead of cursing them for bottom bouncing the Vedder. Only then will you see positive changes.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2006, 01:52:22 PM »

Shut the flossery down.Its not fishing.For all you guys that floss,shame on you.
I wouldnt dare post a pic of a spring that i snagged in the mouth all over the internet,And then to have it voted in as a pic of the month.Whats up with that???That poor fish diddnt bite it was snagged and the fisherman is proud of what he has done.
Just my 2 cents guys.The flossery does nothing good for the sport of fishing.

See this is exactly what I am talking about.. what the heck is the point?? we all know that you hate snaggers!!  Yay !! good for you... do you think you made any sort of difference by posting it?? LOL  other than giving me hillarious posts to read what point do you think you made???

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2006, 02:27:27 PM »

No actually give your head a shake, We are having fun fishing and talking with are buddies on the river . There is more than flossing to throwing your line out. Fishfreak on one hand has mastered the skill, And if I could hook 4 fish in 4 casts I would brag about it too ;D, There are also some very nice springs being caught and I would brag about that too, They sure taste awsome on the BBQ , and make for an awsome dinner with your freinds and relatives over mmmmmmm, mmmmmmmm,mmmmmmm
weeeeeeeeeow!

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2006, 03:33:38 PM »

Every single person who has posted on this thread is a quality short Float fisherman any other time of the year on any other system, you are generalizing and you are putting down many good people most I am sure you haven't even met before... and Roekid happens to be a very good fisherman who is very open to learning any new tricks, all of us respect the regulations and none of us fish outside of the law, if all you are going to do is get on this site and throw around insults I suggest you find a new site to Flame!!! You obviously have your own opinion.. and you have made it very clear how you feel, why keep rubbing it in everyones face.. I would never insult you , I don;t even know who you are , what gives you the right to come on this site and start insulting the members??? like I said you have your way of thinking.. using a long leader and no float is not illegal, if it was no one on this site would use this tecnique !!! The DFO says this is a legal way of harvesting Sockeye !! if you don;t like it then go and do something about the regs, until then go bitch somewhere else..

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2006, 03:34:18 PM »

well some very good points here.i floss just for sockeye and dont even try for springs. if they ban flossing i wont loose any sleep over it. to each there own good luck to all and sharp hooks cheers