Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Fraser Garbage dump  (Read 4934 times)

searun17

• Old Timer
The Fraser Garbage dump
« on: August 16, 2006, 09:35:53 PM »

Just spent a few days out on the upper Fraser doing a little fishing and r&r and i couldn't help but notice what a pathetic amount of garbage is being left around the Fraser bars and parking areas ,it really  makes me sick that this garbage is being left by members of the fishing community, for me a good portion of my enjoyment of the outdoors is the beauty and enjoyment of our surroundings,not only is this  unnecessary but it makes us all look like a bunch of slobs ,i can only imagine what some people think of this disgrace,not only is this bad for our resource but it could soon mean restricted access to more areas of our rivers particularilly when access is through private  land,I know there are a large number of people that actually care and do their part packing out their garbage and garbage of others i just hope that these people continue to do their part and maybe educate others while on the river when we see unnecessary dumping,every little bit we do can make a difference.  ??? ???
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Re: The Fraser Garbage dump
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 09:39:37 PM »

I usually pick up a bag of garbage after I've gotten my fish. People usually take notice or say thanks but I've never seen anyone else doing likewise. I figure if enough of us start doing this it will catch on with at least a few people.
Actions speak louder than words.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 09:44:03 PM »

Good on you biff,you are right when people see someone picking up garbage there is usually a positive response,the same thing happened to me ,i was cleaning up an area of the river and others started to help out in no time we had cleaned up about a 100 yard stretch of river bank.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 09:49:54 PM »

No excuse for littering. It's not restricted to only fishermen. Look no further than the recent Fireworks Display. :(

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 09:57:07 PM »

Ya you are right there is no excuse and it is not only restricted to the fisherman but hopefully with the help of websites like fwr we can post little reminders and take care of some of the areas that fisherman frequent,that would be to eveyones benefit.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 10:22:40 PM »

A timely post.

We had our planning meeting this afternoon for the Chilliwack Vedder Cleanup Coalition's BC Rivers Day event. It promises to be another fun day of display's, live music by some good looking gals (one is my wife  ;D ;D) free BBQ, and some excellent prizes. Of course we will have a cleanup to kick off the event.

This is a way you can all do your part to try and keep at least one of our rivers something we can be proud of.

Please mark Sunday September 24 on your calender. Rodney will be posting more on the event at www.cleanrivers.ca in the next day or two.

Not to hyjack your thread searun17 I have to agree that the Fraser River is just terrible out there. This fishery seems to bring out a few anglers that do not care one thing about the environment other than just getting their fish and the hell with the rest of it.

I plan to go out to Peg one day soon to do a cleanup even though it will make me sick as I know what I will be faced with. The City of Chilliwack has been considering putting a gate on this area once again as at one time it was locked before someone stole the gate. ::)

If this access is lost the ones that continue not to cleanup up after themselves will be the ones to blame, no one else. Of course driving across the wetted area is also a no no but last time I was out there a number of people were observed doing so. ::) :o

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 10:32:37 PM »

Rodney will be posting more on the event at www.cleanrivers.ca in the next day or two.

Two days?? Talk about working pressure. ;D

The Fraser River fishery attracts many new fishermen, fishermen who have a slightly different expectation when it comes to fishing. Most are not connected with the river, are unaware of the threats our aquatic resource faces. If the Fraser Valley angling industry chooses to promote this fishery to generate more profit, it should make some effort to make sure the anglers who are sent to the river are informed.

When we do our annual family fishing event and youth fishing camp in Steveston, the objective is always to promote fishing but also to make sure all are aware of what species of fish they are catching, how to recognize them, how to make sure the negative impacts are minimized when fishing, etc.

If Chris is going to Peg Leg to clean up (probably on a weekend?), maybe those who plan to fish there on the same day can join and assist him after keeping their daily quotas of sockeye salmon? It may speed up the cleanup process. :)

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 10:38:24 PM »

Yes Chris you are right its only a small portion of the anglers out there that continually show total lack of respect for our lands,some people just don't realize how much access to the rivers we have already lost due to this problem and hopefully we wont have to lose any more because of issues such as this,the BC rivers day sounds like it will be a good time ,hopefully i Will be able to attend.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 10:46:06 PM »

Rodney will be posting more on the event at www.cleanrivers.ca in the next day or two.

Two days?? Talk about working pressure. ;D

If Chris is going to Peg Leg to clean up (probably on a weekend?), maybe those who plan to fish there on the same day can join and assist him after keeping their daily quotas of sockeye salmon? It may speed up the cleanup process. :)
Lew will be sending the minutes shortly to you with the info. We had a two hours meeting also I had a talk with Ernie Crey. ;D ;D

Will post when I am going out Gord, after I get away and return for my junket for Thompson River jacks, need some freah fish as I can not catch any down here. ;D ;D Thanks as always for your help Gord it will be good to try and spruce up at least one of the areas.

I challenge some of the others from this forum that are out in different area's to do the same. Maybe report how many bags you get off an area. It sometimes shames ones that are throwing down stuff when you walk among them picking up their grabage and sometimes they will strike a conversation with you giving you an oppportunity to pleasantly inform them we can lose access if this continues. A lot of area's in the upper zones are on First Nation's land and it will not be hard for them to close it down on you.

weizen

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 10:46:59 PM »

A good topic.  Glad to see others out there are as disgusted as I am when i see Tim hortons cups/bags left out on the banks.  Is it really that hard to put the garbage in your pack and take it back to your car?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 10:47:22 PM »

Yes Chris you are right its only a small portion of the anglers out there that continually show total lack of respect for our lands,some people just don't realize how much access to the rivers we have already lost due to this problem and hopefully we wont have to lose any more because of issues such as this,the BC rivers day sounds like it will be a good time ,hopefully i Will be able to attend.
I look forward to seeing you and your gang there. gt too. ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 10:48:53 PM »

A good topic.  Glad to see others out there are as disgusted as I am when i see Tim hortons cups/bags left out on the banks.  Is it really that hard to put the garbage in your pack and take it back to your car?
If everyone just takes one garbage bag in with you and brings it back out, filled, it all helps. ;D ;D

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 10:49:58 PM »

Hopefully if all our schedules click, myself as well as gt, big steel and My son guppy will attend ,should be fun.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 10:46:56 AM »

That is a great idea Chris. I plan to take my brother out fishing on Tuesday and we are now going to bring in 2 bags each. One for our fish and the other for all the garbage that is left on the beach. I will let you know how much we pick up. May even get someone to take a pic and I will get bigsteel to post it for me. And yes I can not wait to meet you to Chris. Maybe I will finally get to meet one of the most respected fishermen on this forum.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 11:54:19 AM »

;D do i get the empties.??? ??? ??? ??? just joking count me in to do my part at the peg. was there yesterday and fished for a few. we took home one sox/0 springs. and 3 bags of crap from one area alone that some slob left behind.oops sorry now i feel better. any ways if im able to get out this weekend i will help with the cleanup at the peg. 8) ;D ;D