Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How many for you??  (Read 13375 times)

weizen

Re: How many for you??
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2006, 01:28:55 PM »

6 Sox in 4 trips out.  Still looking for my first spring.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 02:09:09 PM »

5 springs and three Sox.. I have only been out for sox twice.. and I am 5 for 6 on springs .. not too bad... 3 of the 5 springs were caught bar fishing.. the other two were lucky catches when fishing for sox :)

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

shrek

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 06:16:37 PM »

I live for ounce on the wrong side of the port mann.   Only hit the fraser once and got O

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2006, 07:33:37 PM »

2 more sox!  peg was a zoo.

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2006, 12:37:34 AM »

11 now still only one spring!  May be done for season, my best ever!

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2006, 12:50:14 AM »

landed #12 for the sox's today and yet only 3 springs on my license   :(
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 12:52:31 AM by scruffy »

darmin

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2006, 06:47:22 AM »

whats the purpose of this tread

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2006, 07:00:24 AM »

Ya, check out rods post, I think its this type of mentaility he hates in the sockeye fishery...I bet many people here get more socks and flossed springs that coho and steelhead...we are all just a bunch of snaggers so really lets go about our business a little more descretely could we?

PS - hey scruffy...whats the  :(  at the end of your post about???  12 sockeye and 3 springs...probably well over 100lbs of prime salmon fillets and its not good enuff for you?  Thats a pretty pathetic position if I am interpretting your post right.  Talk about the greed sockeye season brings out  :-X

weizen

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2006, 07:32:26 AM »

For me and my immediate family (My dad and bro fish also) sockey is our favorite tasting fish.  (I won't say best because everyone is entitled to there opinion).

For this reason we go out as often as possible and get as many sockey as our freezeer (and legal limit) will allow.  I'm up to number 8 now, and my dad and bro are both over 15. They get out more often.   Some say this is greed (Gooey), but every summer the freezer is empty and our family has enjoyed delicious fish all year round.   Is that greedy, or just enjoying a fish that we all love to cook?   I BBQ year round, and trust me, there is nothing better than a declicious sockey fillet on the BBQ in the middle of Jan with snow falling on the top of the grill!

Call me greedy, but I'll take as many as I can while it's open.

By the way our extended family gatherings will feed 10 adults easily so we usually require at least 2 fish per meal.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2006, 08:30:34 AM »

I never called you greedy weizen , nor do I think taking what your family can eat is greedy!!!  I too will put as much in the deep freeze as I can.  With my new vaccum packer, I don't find spoilage/freezer burn to be a problem with storing lots of fish and we too can go thru the fish. 

I have 4 socks and 6 springs between the ved and the fraser so I to am well supplied AND greatfull for that!

My comment was directed to the MENTALITY that scruffy exemplified in his post, once again he said:" landed #12 for the sox's today and yet only 3 springs on my license    :( "

How can anyone show dismay with a bounty of 12 socks and 3 springs to their name...I think its boarder line insulting!  If you read Rods post today, he rarely gets fired up but when people start making post like scruffy's you got to wonder what the sockeye fishery in doing to the SPORTS FISHING industry in British Columbia.

With that type of sentiment running rampant in the average sockeye fisher and then flossing pouring over onto systems like the vedder, chehalis, capilano, squamish, ect, etc, etc, I can't help but feel like flossing is becoming an out of control cancer.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 08:39:15 AM by Gooey »

weizen

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2006, 08:39:46 AM »

Fair enough.   Just read through Rod's post, and while I may not agree with all of it, I have to admit he does have some good points.

Gooey, I know you wern't saying that Me personaly is greedy, what I thought you were saying was the concept of keeping lots of sox was greedy.  Thanks for clarifying your position, the mentality in his post (if interpreted as you did) could be considered greedy, although I interpreted his post as his dissapointment in only having 3 springs. (Which I'd kill to have 3 springs on my licence)

Cheers!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 08:45:21 AM by weizen »

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2006, 01:24:59 PM »

Precisely Weizen!  having caught 3 springs in a snag fishery that is supposed to be "targetting" sockeye, one should consider that a huge bonus!!! 

We all know snagging is illegal.  We have lived outside the law in a flimsy grey area becuase flossing gets the hook close enuff to the mouth to get away with.  We justify flossing sockeye because they don't bite.  We all say, ya go floss some socks, there 17 mil...plenty to go around but Scruffy's comment shows how the sock fishery is spreading like cancer...its no longer JUST the socks now its springs too!  Its no longer a fraser method for sockeye..and now springs...its a common method for beginners on rivers like the vedder and chehalis.

The summer fishery turns people into MEAT HEADS and I wish everyone would keep it in perspective and consider the resource above all. 

(Hint gang, the resource is the sockeye run not all the slabs of meat in your deep freezer  ::)  )

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2006, 08:14:38 PM »

I would have to agree with you Gooey. :o  Three Springs in a Sockeye fishery is a huge bonus.  A strange fact though, I have not kept a spring and have only hooked 1-maybe 2 since sockeye has opened.  The reason I feel my Spring numbers have gone down the toilet lately, I get my 2 Sockeye and I am pretty much done, I may take a few token casts with the off chance that maybe I might get extremely lucky and hook a Spring, but upon hooking another Sockeye, I am officially done.  So yeah, 3 Springs during a sockeye fishery is rather good in my view. In my opinion there are way to many Sockeye in the river to hope for a realistic chance at a spring.  So, consider yourself lucky that you got into some. :D  Mind you if that is not what Scruffy meant, well then....... ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

winter steel

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2006, 08:35:59 PM »

Hey Gooey, since you have all those fish does that mean you'll leave the bushwacking to bug pumper and I ;D?

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2006, 09:17:59 PM »

Nice try WS, you know me better than that, I am ALWAYS up for a good hike!  Especially if its to that secluded coho pool I think you are referring too...see you in October!