Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sock limit???  (Read 5591 times)

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
Sock limit???
« on: August 13, 2006, 01:24:30 AM »

Would it be a good idea to limit the yearly catch of sockeye to 10 or 12 to ease the crowds!  Is that reasonable, because it is a real zoo! And maybe kids without a license should be limited to 1 a day!  It is a joke seeing dads pull in a fish and then let the kids touch the rod for 5 seconds so that it is legal!

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
Re: Sock limit???
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 07:36:36 AM »

i like that idea it would limit the amount of people going out and give others a chance to get their fill,and the one fish per child well in my eyes unless they pull it in themselfs i don't think that should be legal,plus it's no fun if they can pull it in themselfs anyways.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 07:55:03 AM »

Would it be a good idea to limit the yearly catch of sockeye to 10 or 12 to ease the crowds!  Is that reasonable, because it is a real zoo! And maybe kids without a license should be limited to 1 a day!  It is a joke seeing dads pull in a fish and then let the kids touch the rod for 5 seconds so that it is legal!

I have a question about that...how many fish can you eat?

Back in the early 80's my family used to go fishing in Deep Bay just north of Qualicum, and over a 2 week period, Dad and family went out there and fished for Coho, and hooked the odd spring, and everything was like 6 lbs and up. At the time we were a family of 5, and 53 Coho was more fish that our family could eat in a year-we'd keep them selectively. It was a fish a week for a year, with leftovers for sandwiches, salads, etc...

Now, I'm geared up and ready to take Dad and Mom out fishing for Sockeye, and if we go out there and find 12 Sockeye in an afternoon, 12 Sockeye X average of 8 lbs/ fish, that would be more fish than we could eat. Add the 4 Coho I have in the Freezer, 6 springs in there as well...etc etc... and then technically, we shouldn't be fishing, cuz we wouldn't be able to eat 'em all!

At any rate, we'll probably just go out and hook a half dozen, and that's it...cuz we'll be slammin' a few mature red springs in the next month anyways..

There needs to be regulation changes--if you can't EAT everything that you catch and retain, then you shouldn't be fishing for family outside your household, your friends, your co-workers, etc etc...kinda sad really....

Just my thoughts....

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 09:39:24 AM »

All good points. When I take my 11 year old daughter out fishing as soon as I set the hook and I know that it is a sockeye I give the rod to her. She has to be able to play and land the fish from start to finish other wise in my eyes the fish is not her's. I also believe that there should be a limit just like springs and steelhead. They should make you record them on your liscence. But my question is what would be the limit 10, 12 ,14 16 ? Mind you I never fish enough for sockeye to fill even a 10 fish limit. I think the most that I have ever kept in a season is eight.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 10:19:56 AM »

;D all very good points but do you honestly think everyone will obey and record the number of sockeye they land and bonk. most would but there are some who dont give a damm about the rules and dont even fish accoringly. as for claiming the fish is the childs i think everyone should have a license even if the kids is free so that way dfo can monitor the amount of fish being recorded. ;D 8) thats my 2 cents worth for this day tight lines and sharp hooks to all who hit the ri 8) ;)ver today.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 10:21:39 AM »

A limit would be a start but id rather see them close Sockeye in Freshwater.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 11:03:13 AM »

;D all very good points but do you honestly think everyone will obey and record the number of sockeye they land and bonk.

Same can be said about the steelhead and chinook fishery. There will unfortunately always be people who will break the regulations.

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 12:28:38 PM »

Limit of 12 a year!  Record on licence. Most would as always follow rules but some definately would not.  Maybe also during sock opening leave river after you limit.  I know guys want there spring but there are not that many springs to be had and when springs are hooked it messes up the flow!  Most arguements that I have seen have been over guys getting in the way when someone has a spring on.  I would bet that there are lots of  guys who have at least 20 some socks in their freezers already..  As others have mentioned who needs that many! I like what you do with your daughter gt, that at least is real landing.  Oh well! 

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 02:02:31 PM »

Fisherforever...kids liscences under 16 are free so why shouldnt they be required have one in their position when fishing...that gets them into a good habit of getting one each year.  As well, tag are required for these youth fishers with a free liscence!   

mark

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 02:36:02 PM »

It is illegal to hand off a rod for someone else to catch and keep especially if you already have your limit. Ask any DFO Officer.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 02:37:49 PM by mark »

Yopesco

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 04:23:05 PM »

Closing sockeye in freshwater..., the question is ...for everybody? I may even vote for it if is done that way, otherwise, NO.

Yopesco

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 04:29:01 PM »

A limit would be a start but id rather see them close Sockeye in Freshwater.

Why?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 05:24:59 PM »

Sockeye $20 each at Costco. So for 2 its $40. If you drive any kind of distance and factor your time and GAS than how is it worth it? I was in Costco today and they are very nice.

Say you are coming from Vancouver so its gonna cost you atleast $30 in gas plus say you spend 4 hours ( @ 20/hour ) thats $110 when you could just buy them for $40. I dont know about any of you but I would rather save my money and spend it on something else. This does not even factor in losing gear,the wear and tear on your reel, and purchasing the gear.

Remember nobody is doing this for sport since its not a sport its a harvest so its not for a recreational activity its more like work.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Ho whacker

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 05:30:53 PM »

The Fraser's a huge river. if you don't like the crowds theres always somewhere you can limit out that is allot more spacious.
Theres no fish in the harrison I swear ;)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2006, 06:08:04 PM »

Also , Some people like myself like going out and spending the mornings on the river, Yes i could go and buy my fish but thats why i like fishing so i can go catch them for myself

Thats not the only fishing available right now. Its not a fun activity. I did it twice in my life 5 years ago. I was introduced to it by my mothers husband. The first time I went I thought they were actually biting. Than after the second time I had it figured out and did not feel right about snagging fish. I would rather save money than snag fish that I dont feel good about, as well as not having to deal with all the jerks out on the bars. I dont see how spending time shoulder to shoulder, people yelling and screaming can be fun. You yourself even said that you were glad to get your fish fast. Well if you were glad to get your fish fast how is that spending time on the river enjoying yourself? To me you are contradicting yourself. Either you want to be out on the river most of the day and enjoy it or you dont. Most who floss even say that its not fun. So if you can save money and still get your fish why spend the time and extra money going?

Oh and dont call this fishing because its not. Its a harvest, if the fish are not biting its not fishing.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family