Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: corkies  (Read 4720 times)

oddjob

• woof woof
corkies
« on: August 11, 2006, 01:33:37 PM »

when B.B.ing most people use corkies , however I have heard some times corkies are not used only the bare hook why  ??? ??? ???

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: corkies
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 02:26:46 PM »

The feeling is that the corky will cause a bump when the line is running through the mouth down to the hook.  If this bump is big enough, it may cause the fish to not be hooked.

I like some resistance on the hook so sthat it causes it to float up due to the water resistance.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 03:54:47 PM »

Bare hook is fine. When we used to BB for sockeye, about 5 years ago 3 casts running bare  ;D result was 2 sockeye. :o

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 05:19:06 PM »

Bare hook is fine. When we used to BB for sockeye, about 5 years ago 3 casts running bare  ;D result was 2 sockeye. :o

You Bottom Bounced  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I kid I kid

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 05:34:58 PM »

Kinda surprised that no one has mentioned that a bare hook IS ILLEGAL!!!! ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 05:39:25 PM »

just tie on some actual dental floss instead of yarn or a corkie!  That way it's actually legal...and its what all the purist BB'ers are doing these days ;)  How that makes any sense I have NO idea!!

funfisher

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 05:56:45 PM »

Hey BS, talking to the DFO on grassy bar last year and they said it is not illegal to have a bare hook.  I was very surprised myself when they told me that because like you I thought that it was illegal also. They said as long as it is  barbless it is ok.

Just to clear that up (not to stir the pot) :) ;D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 06:00:34 PM by funfisher »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 05:59:20 PM »

They immitate those genetically unique large chronimids that float down the Fraser River during the sockeye season.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 06:14:21 PM »

Hey BS, talking to the DFO on grassy bar last year and they said it is not illegal to have a bare hook.  I was very surprised myself when they told me that because like you I thought that it was illegal also. They said as long as it is  barbless it is ok.

Just to clear that up (not to stir the pot) :) ;D

Hmmmm, very interesting!!   :o  But I still can't bring myself to use just a bare hook!!  I have had no problem with just my corkie, so I will stay with that!!  I guess that means I can't yell at anyone anymore when I see this!! ??? ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

darmin

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 06:34:26 PM »

bottom line is you put a little something on the hook to justify the fact were snagging fish i also found in my days of flossing if i kept my rod tip in the water a bit i seem to hmmm should i say hooked or snagged whatever it produced

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 08:15:17 PM »

Kinda surprised that no one has mentioned that a bare hook IS ILLEGAL!!!! ;)
I have read that in the ocean they run just a bare red hook behind the flashers and the sockeye seem to like it. I guess it looks like zooplankton that make up most of the sockeye's diet in the ocean.

Maybe I should just attach a bare red hook when I am bar fishing and that will be the secret to catching them. ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 08:41:45 PM »

You Bottom Bounced  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I kid I kid
No problem, it took us a few years to figure out they were no biting. When we (Fraser Valley Salmon Society, yes I have to admit I was part of getting these openings a few years ago) got sockeye open in the freshwater we started by short floating them and caught sockeye. Not often but we did and to this day I donot know how we did. At that time we were very ignorant of the fact we were actually snagging them and did not know we were.

The leaders then got longer and longer and then bottom bouncing took over from fishing with a float.

I remember the spot to this day when I too turned from floating for them to bottom bouncing and was not having much success. A fellow next to me said" Your leader is too short, lengthen out to a rod length". I did and in no time I was hauling them in also.

I could add more but this method of fishing has been talked to death but I just wanted to give a little history on a Friday night on how this method of fishing we are at now started here on the Fraser River.

I hold nothing against those that fish this way as lots of good friends do and life is way to short anyway for this to stand in the way of good friends including so many from this forum that I now know but I feel it has changed what angling used to be about and should be now.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 08:43:43 PM by chris gadsden »

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 09:20:23 PM »

They immitate those genetically unique large chronimids that float down the Fraser River during the sockeye season.

:D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D

Save your money and leave the green wool and corkies at the tackle shop. A bare hook works just fine. I finished my 'flossing' career on that note (the famous 2 socks in 3 casts) when I challenged a guy who was agonizing over his tackle box on what to use if he thought the fish were biting.

BS, I would have really found it interesting if it's illegal to use a bare hook but ok to partake in a 'fishery' where said bare hook works as well as if not better than a 'baited' presentation.

Anyway, I really intend to work at finding a more reliable way to get these fish to bite in the mainstream Fraser so future discussion can revolve around how to get a bite instead of better getting that line threaded through the mouth of an unwilling fish  ::). To me, the opportunities that are available such as infrequent hook ups on the bar rod while fishing chinook and the challenge of short floating the Harrison is ok to me as this is working within the boundaries of getting the fish to bite which is angling, and when sucessful, something to be proud of. Sometimes it takes more effort and/or more of a wait this way, but to me, that's what fishing is about. Maybe some lose sight of what fishing is when they get impatient or perhaps a little greedy and forget that fishing sometimes means 'fishing', and not 'catching' and before you know it, the little details and values that I feel make this recreation great are lost and one can bet that the recreation's health, image and appeal will soon also be lost.  :'(

Am I off topic?  ;D ;D If so, I think I should get a break on any misdeed I just performed as I didnt say 'snag' or 'snagger' even just once!!!
 ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2006, 03:24:09 PM »

Why don't you just keep your anti flossing campaing to your forum 2:40. People here actually want to read about what they can do to get their fish.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2006, 05:50:18 PM »

In all respect to the last post there is nothing wrong with expressing ones views on any topic. Of course at this time of year during the sockeye season the way sockeye are fished for is always a controversial topic on this web page as well as all others.

As in the previous post by FishFreak a person told him he did not know that the sockeye they were catching were not biting.

By 2:40's post and similar ones by many others including myself we attempt to explain that the sockeye are not bitting but are being bottom bounced, flossed, snagged, foul hooked or however one wishes to describe this present manner of fishing for sockeye.

When some readers of this and other forums read how they are actually catching the sockeye they decide not to angle this way as they wish to sportfish in a method where fish actually take their offering. In no way are we saying those that wish to fish this way cannot, just as those that prefer to fly fish only, cannot say we that like to drift fish with roe, prawns or ghost shrimp are not allowed to.

If we cannot debate a topic in good faith be it fishing, hunting or numerous other topics of life it would make forums pretty boring in my mind.

Until Fisheries and Oceans Canada says it is an illegal way of fishing, you and many others are free to do as you wish, as are we as free, to fish by our methods also.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 09:29:35 PM by chris gadsden »