Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly Rod Setup for Chinook, 8wt - but what type of line setup  (Read 10353 times)

mrking

Went out for some chinook today on the Fraser. Launched at Dewdney and cruised to some areas and had to retreat due to high winds.

But.... I am using an 8wt with a sink tip but it just isn't cutting it when trying to get down to depth.

What line setup would be recommended to get the fly down, from fly line to tippet?

Thanks!

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
Re: Fly Rod Setup for Chinook, 8wt - but what type of line setup
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 02:47:23 PM »

Maybe you can give Airflo 300 grain Deep finder express a try.

mrking

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 03:13:43 PM »

Maybe you can give Airflo 300 grain Deep finder express a try.

Noob question... Does it attach to my existing floating line? How long would it be?

Thanks.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 04:37:01 PM »

Nope, its not a tip system.. its a actual sink tip line... i belive its 28 or 30 feet for the sinking section followed by the about 80ft of very thin running line.

mrking

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 04:58:07 PM »

Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers,

MIke

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 09:38:23 AM »

If you get a good size fish on expect your rod to blow up. An 8wt is good for chums,coho, and sockeye but not for those monster springs.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 04:28:17 PM »

8wt is a lot of rod... lets put it this way.. If an 8wt can handle most blue water light to medium game fish.. they have no problem handle a sping salmon.

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 08:32:07 PM »

I use 9 wt. for chinook.  8 wt is too lite for for my liking.  I like to land the fish as quick as possible --in case I end up wanting to release it. 
I use quick descent line.  I am happy with its performance and durability.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 09:19:40 PM »

I recomend whatever dry line you can find on the discount shelf in the $15 to $20 range. Lead that with a heavy grain lead or shooting head. I don't recomend highend/hightec lines for Springs or Chum those beasts finish a line in a season 1/2 a season when fishing is real hot.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 09:58:57 PM »

Newsman, you have your own style when its come to fly fishing.. But you gotto remember each company spends so much time and man power and hours of testing to design a fly line for a reason.. Yes, you can use any floating line and attached with a lead cord or shooting heads to get down to the zone but how well can you cast with that system?? By the time you go to the store, get a floating line, connectors and shooting heads.. you might save about 10, 15 bucks and have to hope that system would work. And i do notices you don't like to spend any money on the gear (many posts from way back), even tho you love it so much... Some times, to spend those extra bucks is the part of the deal for catching all these fish... So what, the line only gonna last for 1/2 a season, you already have fun with it, you caught fish with it.. why worrie about the cost to the single penny?? Its not gonna cost you arm and a leg. If you do think that is the case, then i think this sport is not too suitable for you.. Maybe its time to think about a different sport.  Good luck fishing this summer.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 11:29:27 AM by Steelhead King »

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 03:49:22 PM »

Different strokes for different folks.  It's definitely nice to get the varying view points, ranging from the ultra thrifty to the the extravagant.  That's the nice part about a forum... People can find what fits, and use the advice they think will work best for them :)

Tight Lines (be they expensive or not!) ;)

mrking

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 05:41:19 PM »

Well, I've decided to stick with my 8weight for now. I am going to upgrade my reel to a Redington CD 9/10 for the braking system and so I can have 200 yards of backing. I am primarily just upgrading the reel as I have the line and rod right now. If I end up blowing the rod up then I'll upgrade to a 9 or 10w rod.

Thanks for all the input, it has been invaluable to get all the different perspectives.

Now, any tips on where to fish for springs in the fraser?  ;) ;)

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 06:23:05 PM »

Well one thing is for sure, you'd better have a good quality 8wt!!  If you do youre in for one helluva fight :)  I broke my crap quality heavy duty spinning rod just above the reel seat a few years back on a fish.  Nothing like bringing a knife to a gunfight and leaving successful though either...

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 06:25:54 PM »

I would fish the channels, creek mouths and the upper river above Aggasiz. When Peg Leg drops and sockeye season is done the upper portion is great and their are less crowds. You could also fish the Vedder in the lower section.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 07:06:55 PM »

Good post Steel. I had to laugh! Yes I might go a little on the cheap side, but I always like to think of the anglers out there who can't afford the highend. I also like to design and build my own equipment. Being frugal has bought me a garage full of equipment. How many cane rods do you have I have 16 in various states of reteration. When one of my kids or there freinds step on a rod I don't blow a gasket I just hand them another and throw the busted one in the repair bin. One of the books on my to write list is "Budget fly fishing how to get started for 25 bucks or less." If my dislike of spending more than is needed offends you, that is your issue not mine. I don't want to see sport fishing go the way of other sports where the kids sit at home because Mom & Dad can't afford it!
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"