Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly Rod Setup for Chinook, 8wt - but what type of line setup  (Read 10352 times)

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: Fly Rod Setup for Chinook, 8wt - but what type of line setup
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2006, 11:08:38 PM »

Just set up a freind with a sreaming deal from Surplus Herbies in. 6wt 9 foot expedtion with Dragon Fly reel for $29.95. There is a rack full of 7/8 with reels for $59.95 if you are in the big Cam or Vernon grab one they won't last long.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2006, 11:10:39 PM »

Sorry too much wine tonight that is Kamloops with a "K"

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 02:19:11 PM »

my setup is almost the same as newsman's except a 9 weight 12' diawa from the UK .the reel is an old jw served me well for 20 years .I guess it's the frugal side of my heritage.
If you can afford the expensive or fashionable tackle to use go ahead as  DS said "different strokes"
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Stone

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 10:16:03 PM »

Newsman, you have your own style when its come to fly fishing.. But you gotto remember each company spends so much time and man power and hours of testing to design a fly line for a reason.. Yes, you can use any floating line and attached with a lead cord or shooting heads to get down to the zone but how well can you cast with that system?? By the time you go to the store, get a floating line, connectors and shooting heads.. you might save about 10, 15 bucks and have to hope that system would work. And i do notices you don't like to spend any money on the gear (many posts from way back), even tho you love it so much... Some times, to spend those extra bucks is the part of the deal for catching all these fish... So what, the line only gonna last for 1/2 a season, you already have fun with it, you caught fish with it.. why worrie about the cost to the single penny?? Its not gonna cost you arm and a leg. If you do think that is the case, then i think this sport is not too suitable for you.. Maybe its time to think about a different sport.  Good luck fishing this summer.

Very arrogant post from pretty much a newbie when it comes to flyfishing.  I bet you Newsman has been at it for much much longer than you have.  Just a few years ago, you had no clue what flyfishing was about...then you start to work as a shop monkey, become a junior guide somewhere, and *POOF* you're an expert!

I bet you I can catch more fish with a Dragonfly Expedition than you can with whatever gear you choose.  Catching fish doesn't have much to do with the brand name that you have...although I own and appreciate premium equipment as much as anyone else.  Understanding the whole concept of what all that gear is designed to do to catch fish is more important.  Give me a break...I think it's great that Newsman is able to point people on a budget in the right direction.  Way to go!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 10:18:36 PM by Stone »

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 10:32:47 PM »

Thankyou Stone.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2006, 04:29:57 PM »

have to agree with stone, Newsman has made the effort to assist people into the sport of angling amnd has many years of experience and that brings with it old school methods. 
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!