Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ~~~Come On Springs~~~  (Read 7107 times)

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
~~~Come On Springs~~~
« on: May 24, 2006, 05:33:29 PM »

I just checked the Albion test fishery site and noticed that only seven fish were netted from May 15 to May 23 :-\ Then I ran the same report for the same dates in 2005 and noticed only THREE fish were caught. :o

Many of you may know that the Cheam band, was granted a permit recently to harvest 115 Chinook salmon for FSC. with drift nets and set nets for 24 hours a day for seven days straight. We all know that this fishery can't be monitored by our almost nonexistant DFO enforcement officers. I would like to know who is going to monitor their catch and bi- catch. If the Cheam can fish 24/7 shouldn't we have enforcement to make sure they don't take in excess of their catch?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the Cheam, just questioning the thought process of our DFO with apparent limited numbers of springs in the system
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 05:36:18 PM by Randog »

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: ~~~Come On Springs~~~
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 05:51:57 PM »

Well, at least there were 4 more fish then last year!! :)

But I agree, there should be some type of monitoring done!!  I also want a million bucks and a nice Jet as well!!  But we don't always get what we want!! ??? :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 07:50:35 PM »

I think its has to do with how fast the river is roaring right now and its height making the fish hug tighter to shore and not get swept away in the path of the test net compared to last year. Right now while Sturgeon fishing I have seen several 60 foot plus trees float by like race cars. :o

buck

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 09:05:29 PM »

Randog
 You are right, there seems to be little accountability on the numbers of chinook and any other by-catch taken by the Cheam. There is little political will to deal with any confrontation with native bands now or in the future.The big loser in all of this will be our fish stocks which are under extreme pressure from all user groups, sports anglers included.
DFO had a sport closure on chinook for a number of years to protect declining stocks.The number of chinook in the system during those years was far greater than it is now, yet they were closed. Pressure by all user groups managed to get this fishery reopened even though numbers continue to decline.
Who is really managing our stocks, and do they really know how many fish are reaching the spawning grounds?
Interception of chinook by bottom bouncers, in my opion will have an impact on this species in the not too distant future. Don't get me wrong, I have used this method to catch chinook and after seeing how effective it is I think it should be band. Bar fishing should be the only method to angle chinook unless you have a drift net handy.
Even though I have made that statement, I find it difficult to be limited to using a single barbless hook bar fishing when I see drift nets going by every twenty minutes . How many more years can these populations be exploited before totally collapsing?  Global warming has already had a severe impact on Fraser River sockeye and I think it will contine in the future. Early retuning stocks are in real trouble and may not recover if conditions do not improve.
Bigsteel, you don't need a jet boat, unless you own a bulk station!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 09:16:58 PM »

Very good points Buck!  We all know what the answer to these problems should be, the answers are rather simple.  But as you said, due to the pressure from all parties, it seems as though these solutions will not come soon enough!!
  In saying that though, I still am looking forward to getting out there and fighting those beasts yet again, and no I don't nned a Jet boat, but it sure would make it easier to get out to the Bars to get away from the mass of bouncers!! ;D

buck

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 09:25:27 PM »

Bigsteel,
My fishing partner was out a week ago Tuesday and picked up a 22 pounder bar fishing. The river went to hell the next day so we'll have to wait until the river starts to drop. Even with a boat its difficult to get away from the bouncers.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 09:28:37 PM »

Well, I wasn't expecting to be able to get out until end of June at the earliest anyways!!!  But I guess we will have to wait and see what the freshet and the river has in store for us yet!! ;) :)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 11:25:58 PM »

They are a little fresher when you catch them in the ocean and the only weight you bottom bounce is on the downrigger. Move to fresher ground and taste the difference.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 10:19:04 PM »

They are a little fresher when you catch them in the ocean and the only weight you bottom bounce is on the downrigger. Move to fresher ground and taste the difference.
In all respect these early springs we catch in the Fraser River are in my mind the best eating fish there is on the planet. ;D ;D

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 01:13:34 PM »

It'll be tough to taste the difference, as I will have had to give up dental, and various other "luxuries" in order to buy an ocean boat ;)

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 05:57:27 PM »

I think its has to do with how fast the river is roaring right now and its height making the fish hug tighter to shore and not get swept away in the path of the test net compared to last year. Right now while Sturgeon fishing I have seen several 60 foot plus trees float by like race cars. :o

Actually...sometimes each test set is just 10 minutes long, depending on how fast the flow is. Otherwise, they aim for 30 minutes.

My sources recently, from one of the observers, is that the average size of what they're getting now is 17 lbs.

You're totally on base about what you say about the fishery being unsupervised. That's a CROCK!

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 09:33:02 PM »

:o so when do we get to do a test fishery ;D ;D ;D oh well im back after a long battle with the back. will fill you all in soon cheers

sliverbullet

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 09:41:26 PM »

i was out last weekend in the saltchuck and the score was Fishermen 1 Seals 2. Boy they can ruin your day in a hurry

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2006, 08:34:05 AM »

i was out last weekend in the saltchuck and the score was Fishermen 1 Seals 2. Boy they can ruin your day in a hurry

That's why you write a letter to DFO saying that the seals are eating better than you and your family.

Personally, for how much I fish, I've given 4 to the seals this year...all of them legal fish. SAD!

If one had a rifle and went out on a shooting mission locally here, I'd bet that they wouldn't have too trouble to go and find 30 of them IN A SINGLE MORNING!

All this BS about seals needing to eat etc..that's ridiculous! It's more like the eating is good for seals cuz there are fishermen! I've not seen this many seals locally in a LONG time.

I'd bet that there have been several hundred fish given to seals locally this spring so far.

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2006, 11:56:38 AM »

Actually...sometimes each test set is just 10 minutes long, depending on how fast the flow is. Otherwise, they aim for 30 minutes.

My sources recently, from one of the observers, is that the average size of what they're getting now is 17 lbs.

You're totally on base about what you say about the fishery being unsupervised. That's a CROCK!

Actually, from what I just heard, this is the worst returns they've observed thus far in 20 years.

I've heard reports that they're thinking on closing the sports fishery on the Fraser and it's tributaries this year until further notice.

BLEEP!