Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: steelhead season in review  (Read 3014 times)

allwaysfishin

steelhead season in review
« on: April 04, 2006, 08:48:30 PM »

well, I have not posted many reports lately but have been fishing like a goshdarn freak. Yesterday saw probably the last outing for sometime as I am going to be out of the country for a while. Off to the Balkans and I'm not sure if they have steelhead over there in Bosnia hehehe.... they will have something to catch i'm sure.
  yesterdays outing saw me and the dog as the lone occupants of an upper river run that i sneak into once in a while and the trek was worth it. My last hatchery for this season came on the 3rd cast, smacking my prawn tail just feet into the drift. Not a huge fish but was a respectable 10 to 12 pound rosey cheeked doe. Not wanting to be done for the day she was released back to the swirling boulder garden I plucked her from. I fished for a while then started casting and blasting my way downstream. I came to a nice tailout and started swingin the good ol 50/50 frenchie through the clear shallowing flow, noticing the shadows of what appeared to be a couple steelhead moving out of the path of my flashing blade as it made it's way through the 2 to 3 foot depth of current. I redrifted time and time again, getting closer and closer to the extreme shallows closer to the end of the tail out. One drift in particular I let it go past the tailout and into the boulders.... float down... ahh crap i thought as I was sure i had hooked a good ol river rockfish hehehe. Then, there was a splash, and a beauty chrome steelhead breaks the water in an incredible display of arial acrobatics. This was a sweet fish!!!
It got pretty dicey as I fought the steelhead through the shallow water, trying to steer it clear of the boulders. Some 10 to 15 minutes later, the steelhead tired and I eased it gently to the shallows of a small gravel bar. A bar chrome bullet, wild buck  that had to be pushing 14 or 15 lbs.
  I stopped fishing at this point while me and the dog had a beer and some snacks, reminiscing about this exemplary steelhead season...... today made 29 wild and 8 hatchery steelhead to the beach since mid december and several others that I never landed. This season has by far been the highlight of my steelheading carreer and yesterday was a fine day to cap it all off.
till next year.... tite lines boys and girls

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Re: steelhead season in review
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 10:17:43 PM »

nice job and what a great season and way to end it...good luck in bosnia..man, that would be worth getting reports on..

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 10:19:43 PM »

awsome report.... GL
weeeeeeeeeow!

Last Cast

• Live to Fish ~ Fish to Live
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 10:24:54 PM »

... and I thought I was doing well at 2 for 4.  You're definitely the man.  Can't believe those steelies are still going for your honkin' deli shrimp in this low water and all.  You must be juicin' them up or something.  I'll be up on Thursday.  Hope you left me some biters.  What's up with the Balkans anyways?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 10:29:37 PM »

What kind of dog drinks beer ? ;D ;D  Have a good trip Thomas

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 10:30:41 PM »

My steelhead season in review can be summed up by one of the smilies.

:'(

Oh well, those peamouth chub better arrive soon. ;D

allwaysfishin

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 10:44:55 PM »

my girl is from Bosnia and hasn't been home over the past 10 years since the war, I'm takin her home to belgrade and sarejevo and then finishing up the trip in italy for a couple weeks...... I have an important question to ask her family if ya get my "drift"......
tite lines guys ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 10:46:11 PM »

:o

"Where are the good fishing spots in your country?"

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 10:48:35 PM »

Thomas, you don't need her parent's permission to take her fishing. Sheesh ;D

Last Cast

• Live to Fish ~ Fish to Live
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 11:06:41 PM »

Box of chocolates might help (for her family .. not you  ;)).  Anytime the ladies, family, etc., get in the way of fishin', things can get real serious ;D.  Kiddin aside, hope you win out!  Look forward to those pics, Thomas!  Safe trip.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 11:19:22 AM »

well.. sounds like you had a great year of steelheading!!!!!!  hope you have a fun and safe trip!!!  good luck with the big question....

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 09:12:08 PM »

Well up until now, I have hooked 15 Steehead so far.  6 of them came before Feb 8 and the rest have been in the last week and a half.  Broke my foot and was on the shelf for 6-7 weeks.  I havent hit anything big this year, usually a typical year would see a few fish in the 15 pound range but I cant recall anything for me over 11-12 pounds.  Lots of trout, whitefish and the odd dolly as well over the last week and a half :).  Still time left, just hoping for some higher water. 

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 12:52:13 PM »

Did anyone catch steelie in Chehalis this year?

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 01:36:31 PM »

No,  ;)

Actions speak louder than words.

Prettyfly

• I have a website..
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2006, 02:46:25 PM »

I don't fish for steelhead (I can be a weather wimp..lol) But I had to comment on something.

I couldn't help but notice all the photos Biffchan has created. I must say I enjoy looking at them. They're pretty cool - kudo to you biff
~They were displaced. Their use of the land and history as a people, such as it was known, was appropriated and used to advance competing European territorial interests.

~You've lived a life of privilage, one that was garnered by GREEDY thieves.