Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trucks for fishing?  (Read 1881 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Trucks for fishing?
« on: March 14, 2006, 09:53:02 AM »

Just for general fun and information i was wondering if anyone has or does this:

I have a warehouse business in Blaine and a couple weeks ago a customer, young guy comes by to pick up some auto parts. As they are bigger boxes he has to go back to the warehouse..i bring them out and am in awe of this super jacked up Toyota, big mudders, roof rack with shovels and straps etc, big swing gate on back with two extra tires, of course winch etc. on front and the kicker was his "snorkel" from his engine to above his roof. The thing was encased in mud of course and i just stood there shaking my head...

I asked him "What the heck do you need all this for? are you running through rivers or what?" He looked at me for a moment and while i was awaiting the usual, "I'm a young guy that likes to see how deep i can bury my truck routine" instead he told me about how he is a fly fisherman up in Kamloops and how he built this truck so he could get back to the lakes that no one else can get to unless they fly in.....Well that was the last thing i expected to hear and of course it started a conversation on how I've taken up fly fishing as well and hope to be heading up to kamloops this spring and summer to do just that....

I haven't been to Kamloops to fish yet, been up lots of times for golf tournaments and loved it so am looking forward to that. I am not sure what the regs. are for doing what he is doing etc. but i applaud his dedication to a sport he must love quite a bit to go to these extremes. He said he has stuff coming in now and then and if i remember I'll snap a picture of his rig, it was quite impressive...

James

Re: Trucks for fishing?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 12:29:54 PM »

I hope he " treads lightly " , seeing that those lakes may be fly in only cause they didn't want to damage the surounding area's by makeing roads . But it does show ambition .

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 08:52:13 PM »

I ride my bike or walk into lakes people fly in. Nothing like breaking down in the middle of nowhere and trying to get your fancy unit out, to ruin a long drive and fishing trip. We have gone the 4 by 4 route and found that repairs were expensive to damaged components. That happened alot on the real rough roads. Usually trucks will turn an old overgrown road into a mud pile with hidden boulders (for the oil pan etc.) after a couple of pass in the rain. Better to hike in and get some exercise. At least you know you can hike out.

I have helped out some hunters in the fall who should have stayed home. They broke down on the Duffy lake road and got stuck in the deep snow. We were on trip up to Mt.Joffre and when we got back 2 days later they were 100 feet from were we got them unstuck on the way up. They made a mess of their "camp" and we gave one a ride back to Pemberton in the VW van we parked were the road got too rough. Nice trip for us not them.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 11:31:34 AM »

Many of the lakes I fish in the spring have some rough stretches, nothing a regular 4bye equipped truck can't handle but still fairly rough. To re-iterate troutbreaths point, on one of the trips we were on it got quite warm in the afternoon and I decided to take a nap in the shade provided by the truck only to notice that the spare had been ripped off the undercarrage. We kept a close eye for the missing spare on the trip back out but realistically it could have been anywhere as we'd been cruising the back roads for the last two weeks. I don't know what we would have done had we gotten a flat as we were at least 10km from the highway and even then the town of horsefly isn't exactly a major service center.
Actions speak louder than words.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 04:38:43 PM »

I have had some bad trips. One with my 1978 Subaru rustbucket that I took to Mud lakes. Two days of extremely heavy rain later the lake had risen so much it was flooding out the road i came up. Worse yet on the way out the tiny creeks had become 2 foot deep streams and I am by myself. I floated the car across at high speed runs of each section were the water was deep. Fun but the rain really put a damper on the fishing.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?