Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 470942 times)

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!

lol, damn u Milo...

Vedder sucked today ;D

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

Aaaaaaaaand fishermen are bull$hitters.
That made my morning.

Floater

• Old Timer

As I don't smoke or play any instruments and I make sure the woman is pleased daily I find myself with a lot of free time to fish if I choose to. Some people say it's impossible to ethically hook fish when the river is murky, I call BS and decided to head out anyways. Went out to a spot I always fish in high murky water in the low mid river today and fished for a few hours after taking a nap. Water is about 3.5' deep, my float was set to 2' deep, 10lbs leader about 8" long with a #1 gammi  (they are only coho after all...) golf ball size chunk of roe and cast out a rods length and wait for the little tell tale bobble before that float rockets under.

1 lucky bastard got away...

Beauty photo! i can see you had all us in mind when you took it, nice fish.

***Almost forgot to add as I was so excited at hooking my FIRST EVER  ::) coho and then 3 others a few casts later that the river had around 4"-6" vis when I left***

[

SilverChaser

Was too lazy to get out of bed this morning so I did the lunch-mid afternoon thing. Went up to Tamihi to see whats happening + roe collect for a bit, the fished some runs and such on the way back down. Got into only one chummer. Visibility was around a foot or so.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer

Actually thought of making a video to prove that it's easy to catch fish in blown out conditions. However then I chose not to give up my spot and have people pounding on it. Those fish are #56, 57 & 58 landed #59 was landed and bonked today in the short time I fished with another lost.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....

Actually thought of making a video to prove that it's easy to catch fish in blown out conditions. However then I chose not to give up my spot and have people pounding on it. Those fish are #56, 57 & 58 landed #59 was landed and bonked today in the short time I fished with another lost.

Bragging about catching Vedder fish? Awesome. Who keeps track of how many fish they land?

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Dave

• Old Timer

Bragging about catching Vedder fish? Awesome. Who keeps track of how many fish they land?
Well Bryan, apparently Johnny Canuck does ;D

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer

You don't keep a log for fishing? In the future I look forward to sitting with my son on my knee and going over good memories. It is also great for comparing run timings and "hot" areas year to year. This is a forum for fishing reports and discussions isn't it? It's not like I'm taking gym selfies and posting them on social media, now that would be bragging and a bit conceded.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

SilverChaser

I keep records about all the fish I land also...

Makes it fun.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?

always keep records of when and where....been taking pics and recording them in an album since i was 20. im 45 now and that album is quite impressive. no need to second guess what you used in previous years and the timing of it plus water conditions when used.

Every Day

• Old Timer

I too keep track of how many fish I hook/land every day on every system I fish. I keep a detailed log of every single trip in fact, not just fish numbers. Log includes weather, time fished, system, date, where on the system I fished, what I used, water heights and colour, etc.

The detailed log helps me hammer down run timings, water heights, what fish prefer on each river, etc. If you don't fish more than 5-10 or so rivers in a year you can probably remember. I'm up to over 30 rivers this year, and my memory isn't good enough to remember what worked on river #29, at what water height, and what time of year 3 years ago.

The detailed logs I keep also helps me compare how runs are doing year after year, as I can look at my hours of effort vs how many fish I've caught (besides seeing how runs are doing - it also shows mow I'm progressing as an angler each year).

P.S... that detailed log I keep played a big role in helping me decide what river to fish today. A useful hint - keep your log on Microsoft word. Each day = 1 page. Hit ctrl + f and type in the river name or approximate dates you want to see how that particular river is fishing around that time, or what system is fishing best at that time!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 07:46:31 PM by Every Day »

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!

Could not agree more ED!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

milo

• Old Timer

Yeah, keeping a log is not a bad idea. Because of this, I knew that today was the perfect day to hit a spot that no one would be fishing, one that at this water levels would produce coho for sure.
As I expected, no one in sight - not even close. But the water is still a tad high, there is still a bit of a current that I'd rather not be there. Oh well, there will be chum. Let's play!

First cast and bang, a nice fresh chum. Second cast, another, third cast, another...OK this is boring...

A change of fly buys me some peace and quiet. Time for a cigar. Watching the eagles...the seagulls...ahhh, nice day, glad I didn't stay home.
An hour later the cigar is finished, and the water has dropped another half a foot, stopping the current. It is a nice 3-4 foot deep slack now.
A change of fly and the perfect cast. Fish on! A hatchery coho.
And another. And another. And another...chit, I limited out... :o :o
Oh well, let's lie down on the big log and just enjoy being out there.
No one in sight...solitude on the Vedder...so close, yet so far from civilization... it doesn't get much better than this.
Time to clean the fish and head back to the far away vehicle. The crossing is less treacherous as the river dropped even more. :)
Should I take a pic to post?
Yeah, sure, if no pic, it didn't happen. So, here it goes:

Gotta love coho on the fly...

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict

I would love to have a log, but I'm way to lazy to get that level of detail. Especially if it's in a book with w pen. I post some fish on my blog, but it's no where near accurate information. I can't reveal that info to the public, or I'd have the Internet fish police organizing a lynch mob. ;) Being facetious of course.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....

You don't keep a log for fishing? In the future I look forward to sitting with my son on my knee and going over good memories. It is also great for comparing run timings and "hot" areas year to year. This is a forum for fishing reports and discussions isn't it? It's not like I'm taking gym selfies and posting them on social media, now that would be bragging and a bit conceded.

Great comeback!! Gym selfies are so two years ago though.

Nope I dont keep a log I rely on my good luck. My memory is pretty good still even in my 40's as I pretty much know when and where to go during the season. I dont fish those busy rivers though.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family