Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 470952 times)

typhoon

• Old Timer

Nice fish. I don't ever remember seeing such clean fish in November on the south side.
Bonk, then bleed. Try bonking a little harder.  :P

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict

Though fishing douche bag is a little strong when referring to novices.
Those are the folks that might be taught to do it properly
I would apply it to those that are knowingly ignorant however.

Not all novices are beaks though. ...

milo

• Old Timer

Not all novices are beaks though. ...

True, but the really sad part is that not all beaks are novices.  :-\

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

Someone else said: BEAK,  new (novice) OR ignorant fisherperson.
That's why I posted that the term douche bag was a little strong for those (hopefully) learning the ropes.
Some learn well, some (unfortunatly) learn through frustration and resort to desperate measures.

So BASICALLY yes, not all newbies (new, novice fishers) are douche bags

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

so, about those chrome coho in the river right now...

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good

Once I dispatched it and bled (or at least that's what I thought I was doing), I brought it down to the water to give it a rinse. It wiggled hard once and slipped out of my hand, and suddenly just darted away into the river! :o Of course I was cursing away at myself as I walked back to the rod... ;D But I was sure that it would float back up because there was no way that fish lived. Sure enough, a minute later the white belly showed up 50 feet downstream from me and I quickly ran down and grabbed it.

That happened to me on Wednesday too but I wasn't as lucky as you. I'm sure someone fishing down from me found a nice silver surprise for his dinner! I'm still kicking myself for that rookie mistake  >:( :(

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer

Done that too...particularly frustrating with such a low rate of catching success....

milo

• Old Timer

That happened to me on Wednesday too but I wasn't as lucky as you. I'm sure someone fishing down from me found a nice silver surprise for his dinner! I'm still kicking myself for that rookie mistake  >:( :(

What happened to me is borderline scary. I had a fish (a trout) bled and gutted, and when I nonchalantly attempted to give it one final wash, it wiggled and darted off. Never saw it again. Mind you, that fish must have been dead at least 7-8 full minutes before it did what it did. :o :o :o

On another occasion, my best buddy lands a hatchery coho and I gallantly offer to bonk it with my fist. Satisfied that my multiple punches in the head were enough, I leave the fish lying on the bank. To my surprise, a couple minutes later, it starts kicking around and before  I can do anything about it, it's gone.  :-[
My buddy keeps bringing it up every coho season. ::) No more bonking with the fist. It's knife in the gills with rock shampoo combo every time now.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good

It's knife in the gills with rock shampoo combo every time now.
Yes, indeed. Plus, no rinsing in the water without fingers fully entered and hooked into the gill! Lesson learned the hard way...    :-[ :-\

ynot

• Old Timer

for those who don't know if you bonk a fish and it gets away that is still part of your limit.

Drewhill

The ol' gut and chuck just without the gutting.

It took less time to catch these two this morning than the duration of that video... ;D

Got out for a couple of hours this morning and the first hatchery fish was hooked on the second cast a few feet in front of me as I reeled in the spoon. Once I dispatched it and bled (or at least that's what I thought I was doing), I brought it down to the water to give it a rinse. It wiggled hard once and slipped out of my hand, and suddenly just darted away into the river! :o Of course I was cursing away at myself as I walked back to the rod... ;D But I was sure that it would float back up because there was no way that fish lived. Sure enough, a minute later the white belly showed up 50 feet downstream from me and I quickly ran down and grabbed it. This time I cut the gill some more and kept it far away from the water. ::) Once I picked the rod up and made a few more casts, another fish grabbed the spoon when it was on the drop. It grabbed it so hard and started running so I thought it was a chum salmon, but turned out to be another hatchery coho around the same size. As I was landing this fish, I turned around and looked on the beach, the first fish was in the water again! :o I quickly dispatched this one, and ran back down to the water to grab the other. ::)

The rest of the outing was pretty uneventful. No more bites at the same spot which was surprising. I stopped by another spot where it produced two mornings ago, but I was sure the water would be too low. It was low, but still looked fishy. First cast in with the spoon yielded another wild fish and I decided to quit then.

Pretty quiet along the river, lots of vacant spots where you can enjoy some quality coho salmon fishing, except the Tamahi rapids, where parked cars lined up at 6am. :o River condition is still very good. Lets see how this forecasted heavy rain does this afternoon.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

It wiggled hard once and slipped out of my hand, and suddenly just darted away into the river! :o Of course I was cursing away at myself as I walked back to the rod... ;D But I was sure that it would float back up because there was no way that fish lived. Sure enough, a minute later the white belly showed up 50 feet downstream from me and I quickly ran down and grabbed it.

Isn't it illegal to catch them by hand ? ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Got to yesterday's hot spot this morning but it was already taken up by an angler so tried another spot for a bit without success so moved on. In under an hour 3 coho, bigger than usual too with one a 8 to 9 pound wild buck, also 2 chum.

Terry phones for a coffee break, back to the new hot spot after an hour of solving the world's problems over coffee but not a bite in an hour or so of fishing time. With the rain now starting home for lunch and a nap, maybe back for an evening bite before the river blows out tomorrow.

milo

• Old Timer

With the rain now starting home for lunch and a nap, maybe back for an evening bite before the river blows out tomorrow.

Again on a Saturday!! >:( >:( >:(
Story of my life! :(

Dave

• Old Timer

Look on the bright side Milo... a lot of wild coho will get into the upper river, away from angler pressure, and hopefully spawn successfully in the off channel areas specifically created for them.  The progeny from these spawners will make for better fishing in 2018.  There, don't you feel better now? ;D