Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 470931 times)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer

Fishing was good until about 10 or so. Then the 4 foot rise and coffee came through and blew the river out.

cglasgow

Is the river expected to be fishable tomorrow morning??long drive from vancouver just to turn around and go home at 6am understandable if it's impossible to know..

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough

Water level is at 2.36 now and climbing. 

milo

• Old Timer

Is the river expected to be fishable tomorrow morning??long drive from vancouver just to turn around and go home at 6am understandable if it's impossible to know..

With the weather report calling for even more and stronger rain and the river being blown out already, I am 100% sure that the river will be ethically unfishable tomorrow and probably over the rest of the weekend. I personally am very disappointed because I can only fish weekends, but hey, that's life.

There are a few places where the fish sit in these conditions, and some people brag about catching them in good numbers when the water is like this.

Most educated and ethical anglers, however, will rather leave them alone tomorrow. They are having a hard time as it is with all the mud and debris.

Dave

• Old Timer

Most educated and ethical anglers, however, will rather leave them alone tomorrow. They are having a hard time as it is with all the mud and debris.
A wise and correct post Milo ;)

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer

With the weather report calling for even more and stronger rain and the river being blown out already, I am 100% sure that the river will be ethically unfishable tomorrow and probably over the rest of the weekend. I personally am very disappointed because I can only fish weekends, but hey, that's life.

There are a few places where the fish sit in these conditions, and some people brag about catching them in good numbers when the water is like this.

:o :o :o

I guess you have never fished the Fraser for salmon. Many ETHICAL anglers still fish the river if it's blown to poo and know that a different setup is needed and different strategy as well. To say anglers who fish the river while it is muddy is a poor statement all together and wrong. It's like saying all anglers who fish while the river is low and clear are unethical as the fish are trapped in pools.

Here's a video to help you with high water...

https://youtu.be/Pg90i41kCk8
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

Oh ya. It's brown. Spent some time wandering around the hatchery after the river blew this morning.
Looked like you needed a reservation to get into Tamihi.
Wow some big brute coho up in the hatchery. Hard to believe I let all those fish by me already.

Getting the boat ready to go crabbing this weekend instead of chasing fish around.

Save yourself the gas and stay away from the vedder for a couple days.

TheLostSockeye

Spent a lot of time on the river today. Fished the lower in the morning until it turned into chocolate. Then we raced to the upper and i met my buddy SilverChaser and we were on a quest to find clear water. We checked the top out and sure enough it was murk up there as well. So we headed downriver to a hole by W rd. we looked at the hole from the dyke side of the river and it looked good and clear with 1-2 ft visibility so we bushwhacked our way over there. By the time we got there the visibility was even worse and worsening. We fished there for about 45 minutes and we tossed spinners, roe and tried twitching jigs all with no avail. (There were a few risers in the pool) We stopped fishing because visibility turned to 0.

We then headed upriver to a spot i will leave unnamed. We hiked quite a way, around 3-5 kilometers and we finally found some water that had some visibility around 1-2ft. I then proceeded to put a golf ball size chunk of roe on my hook with my 10lb leader and 20 gram float i casted out into the murk and about 10 seconds into the drift the float sinks! Bam! Set the hook and a big nooky was staring me in the face. A long fight around 10 minutes climbing around trees trying to keep this thing on the hook. Good thing i had SilverChaser there as after i had tired out the Chinook he was able to tail it and bring it up on shore for me. Lying in front of me was a 20lb(weighed it) hatch doe that looked in decent shape for a spring almost in November. I proceeded to bleed the fish take my photos :).
After a while i cut it open and to my disbelief the roe sacks were huge and intact looking nice and ready to be cured up! I gave SilverChaser one skein of the roe as he tailed the fish for me.

Here is what it looks like:

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

I guess you have never fished the Fraser for salmon. Many ETHICAL anglers still fish the river if it's blown to poo and know that a different setup is needed and different strategy as well. To say anglers who fish the river while it is muddy is a poor statement all together and wrong. It's like saying all anglers who fish while the river is low and clear are unethical as the fish are trapped in pools.

Making videos now are we? The vid shows a river with about a foot of vis, still fishable. Not a blown to poo river...

Dave

• Old Timer

As Milo said, in blown out conditions the fish are having a hard enough time just surviving. Why not just leave them alone till conditions improve? What ever happened to respecting migrating fish?
If you can't do that, fill yer boots JC ::)

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer

As Milo said, in blown out conditions the fish are having a hard enough time just surviving. Why not just leave them alone till conditions improve? What ever happened to respecting migrating fish?
If you can't do that, fill yer boots JC ::)

I would have to say the fish are under far more stress and endure far more during low clear conditions. They are trapped in pools where they are bombarded by gear day in day out. I would have to say that the fish feel safer and less stressed during higher flows as they're in the natural element with less "predators" (us humans) they then have the cover of the murky water as well. Some of my best coho days are when I have fished with roe in water with 6" of visibilty, all fish hooked solidly in the mouth. Just like in the video from youtube I fish softer water where the coho tend to travel.

To each their own though right...
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

milo

• Old Timer

To each their own though right...
Absolutely, JC...have at it...we know how easy it can be when they are blind in the mud. I just don't understand why the delusion of using the rod when you can just as well grab them with your hands.
Whoever enjoys "fishing" in a swollen and muddy river with no visibility can have at it, but it is definitely frowned upon by most respectable rods from whom I have been trying very hard to learn something in the past decade or so.
Have at it, but please don't advertise it as great angling prowess and something to strive for because it's not and you know it.
Edited to add: The video you linked to shows very fishable cloudy steelhead water with considerable visibility, not the zero viz milk chocolate mud that is running now.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 11:00:06 PM by milo »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

ok you grumpy weekend warriors! ;D H2O has not fallen from the sky since early this evening in the valley and hydrograph is showing the river level dropping slightly. With a bit of luck, perhaps it will recover just enough to give people a few hours of fishing opportunities in the morning before the big forecasted 70mm rainfall arrives? I'd keep an eye on that hydrograph all night to make some educated guesses if you are thinking about coming out. Good luck all.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

, I am 100% sure that the river will be ethically unfishable tomorrow and probably over the rest of the weekend.

what gibberish! Ethically un-fishable, how so? "Educated anglers", more rotting word salad.

If the river is so blown it's dangerous stay home. If it's so murky it's not worth the time or you lack the skill stay home. Ethics has nothing to do with it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 08:47:52 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

farky

News flash the rain has returned , and if I had to drive out here I would just stay home. But that's just me, good luck and tight lines !