Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 470948 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

lots of nice clean and chrome chum in the bottom end yesterday morning:

I don't think I have ever seen so many chum in such condition in any FV stream in my life. It was almost like the Squamish from maybe 10 years ago.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 11:04:33 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

milo

• Old Timer

lots of nice clean and chrome chum in the bottom end yesterday morning:
I don't think I have ever seen so many chum in such condition in any FV stream in my life. It was almost like the Squamish from maybe 10 years ago.

Great tactic, Ralph.  :)
Tomorrow everyone will be chasing chum in the lower while you go after all the coho that are staging in the mid river escaping the chum invasion.  ;D ;D ;D

Nicolas The Fisherman

I fished the lower this morning for a few hours. Tried a couple of spots and found success in the last spot I tried. A couple guys were fishing on the opposite bank and I believe one of them was from this forum. I recognized the maple leaf hat but couldn't be sure so I didn't want to blab too much ;D We both fished the run with roe and he managed to hook a couple of fish. He also missed quite a few too. As he was leaving, I had hooked one but lost it. After 15 minutes or so, I managed to hook a nice hatchery doe which I was able to land. I think it may be the biggest coho doe I've landed so far this season. Finally have some roe to cure!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Great tactic, Ralph.  :)
Tomorrow everyone will be chasing chum in the lower while you go after all the coho that are staging in the mid river escaping the chum invasion.  ;D ;D ;D

I got a nice 22 inch hatchery doe as well but didn't take it's photo or of the chum doe I killed. I don't fish on weekends so that's not my style  though it may be yours.
So like how much does an average 22 inch doe weigh? - clue - the fillets weighted 1.080 kg ;D
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

I got a nice 22 inch hatchery doe as well but didn't take it's photo or of the chum doe I killed. I don't fish on weekends so that's not my style  though it may be yours.
So like how much does an average 22 inch doe weigh? - clue - the fillets weighted 1.080 kg ;D

Depends how good your fillet skills are. :o

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict

3.5lbs

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict

Ding ding, winner... ;)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

pretty good. So Flytech what formula did you use to calculate 3.5? I guessed about 4 to 4.5 looking at the fish and based weight of similar sized does I weighed with my digital s cales. However what I can find on line based on farmed fish and Atlantic Salmon seems close to your estimate.

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!

Well my luck changed! Fished my spot this morning and was rewarded with 1 Spring and 2 Cohos. My buddy got 1 Spring also. Also caught 1 Chum and lost 3 other cohos. Seems like the Hos decided to show up today as the other guys around me either limited on cohos or lost a bunch also. Fished with really great people today.

windows 7 screen shot

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

That pretty much sums it up this year. Bananas today humble pie tomorrow. (At least for me)
My spots starting to running out of water...

milo

• Old Timer

C'mon Ralph, you have the sense of humour of a German.  ::)
One can't even say something tongue in cheek with you these days.

The day that my favourite spots become too crowded I might have to turn to that tactic but for now it's OK.  ;D

I have no firm idea about how much a 22-inch doe could weigh. Not all fish are the same. Some are plumper than others.
4 pounds sounds about right.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

C'mon Ralph, you have the sense of humour of a German.  ::)
One can't even say something tongue in cheek with you these days.

if I can paraphrase Rick Mercer, perhaps you are just not funny. :P

TheLostSockeye

got some nice hos today. Landed 5 of them 1 wild and 4 hatch. the 4th hatch was to small for my liking. 4.5lb doe, 3.2lb doe, 1.1lb jacky.

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!

Looks like the Hos are in... ;)

bigsnag

• Old Timer

Looks like the Hos are in... ;)
....and the chums are so clean......

It ain't the roe bro'