Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 471224 times)

Floater

• Old Timer

Fished entire weekend springs galore all through the river could not keep em off the roe, only one hatch coho produced between four guys fishing. Pretty sad season for coho, i hear they are still getting them in the chuck lets hope its really really late.
[

243Pete

Thank you so much! I do adjust my float depth, but not as frequently as you do. I'll have to give that a try.

No problem, another good thing to try is when you switch to a new piece of roe is to adjust your depth, most of the time fresh milky piece of roe floating straight in front of a fishes face will get them to slam it hard.
There is a pretty big list of things anyone can change, leader material, hook size, bait size, weights, floats, use of beads and wool and artificials.
Just keep trying and hopefully you will hook into something soon. :D

SilverChaser

Got a few chum today, saw 3 coho landed, all hatch, and all were retained. Lots of springs in the river still.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer

Saw a pink zombie and a released chum. Lots of folk all over strange spots that I've never seen folk at before. Not a hint of fishies on my line. Left after 4hr.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer

3 coho, 6 chinooks and more chum that we could handle. After about an hour of chinooks and coho, you couldn't drift a piece of roe through without getting a chum every 5 casts, let alone a jig.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer

You obviously fished a different chunk then me, congrats. Hopefully one day I'll know a good spot or two...

banx

I fished saturday mostly the lower river. I'm not sure if these two kids would even read this, but I had a great time watching the first kid, around my daughters age put on a clinic with his center pin.  someone has taken the time to show this kid how to  fish and it was a blast to watch. he was decked out in the best gear and he kept his fish in the water until he decided to bonk it. classy kid.

he had already beached three chum by the time i had tied up the fly rod. him and his brother or older friend left after a couple of more fish.

then another kid had come to fish beside me, and this kid was not like the first. old rubber wading boots, and a 6' spinning rod. he even had the reel on the opposite side he was reeling. so i switched it for him.

he then proceeded to throw literally everything in his tackle box. he was wading past his waders and was soaking wet. i mean soaking wet, emptying his boots on shore..... man did he try hard, spoons, spinners, roe. everything. and he didn't get a sniff while i was there.

but the dedication this kid was showing impressed the hell out of me. i left shortly after fixing his reel but i'm hoping he got into some fish. 

these two kids gave me hope for the future.  one was classy as hell and the other so determined he's bound to find success.  was just awesome to watch. 

Outdoorsman

I fished saturday mostly the lower river. I'm not sure if these two kids would even read this, but I had a great time watching the first kid, around my daughters age put on a clinic with his center pin.  someone has taken the time to show this kid how to  fish and it was a blast to watch. he was decked out in the best gear and he kept his fish in the water until he decided to bonk it. classy kid.

he had already beached three chum by the time i had tied up the fly rod. him and his brother or older friend left after a couple of more fish.

then another kid had come to fish beside me, and this kid was not like the first. old rubber wading boots, and a 6' spinning rod. he even had the reel on the opposite side he was reeling. so i switched it for him.

he then proceeded to throw literally everything in his tackle box. he was wading past his waders and was soaking wet. i mean soaking wet, emptying his boots on shore..... man did he try hard, spoons, spinners, roe. everything. and he didn't get a sniff while i was there.

but the dedication this kid was showing impressed the hell out of me. i left shortly after fixing his reel but i'm hoping he got into some fish. 

these two kids gave me hope for the future.  one was classy as hell and the other so determined he's bound to find success.  was just awesome to watch.

Now THERE'S a good story to read. Great to hear about the younger generation. I've helped some kids out on the water and they sure appreciate it and LISTEN. I can guarantee that kid went home and told his parents how you helped him, good on ya. Keep the good river stories coming.

mikeyman

Awsome story I remember when I was younger and schooled everyone. Now I am everyone. Lol.

SilverChaser

Haven't had a sniff of coho yet, just can't find em. One of those years.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

clarki

• Old Timer

I have another story about a younger angler that I meet last week, but this one has bittersweet ending :(

"G" and I were fishing the same hole side by side; he with roe, me with jigs. He was relatively new to fishing and had never caught a C-V coho.

We chatted off and on. I asked if he was on any fishing websites. He said that he was a lurker, but not a poster, on FWR. I commented on how well his float was weighted. "Fishing with Rod" he said with a grin :)

"I'm having a big day today" he said. "How so?", I asked.    "I'm going to ask my future father in law for my girlfriend's hand in marriage."

After I congratulated him, he proceeded to catch 3 coho from under my nose. The inconsiderated little bugger! A wild, a hatch jack and a hatch adult. He kept the two hatches; the jack for him and he wanted to give the bigger fish to his future father in law.

After the bite died, he left, carrying his two fish on a stick. I followed not long after.

I came across him on his hands and knees with his arms wet up to the shoulder. "I lost my fish; the stick broke!" Sure enough, the fish had disappeared under a log jam in a deep corner pool. "I'm heart broken", he said. I lent him my net to fish around in the depths but the fish were gone. What a total bummer.

So, "G", I hope the father in law said yes; more importantly,  I hope the girlfriend says yes, :) and if you keep fishing like you were, you will catch many more coho.

Cheers.                           

milo

• Old Timer

...After the bite died, he left, carrying his two fish on a stick. I followed not long after.

I came across him on his hands and knees with his arms wet up to the shoulder. "I lost my fish; the stick broke!" Sure enough, the fish had disappeared under a log jam in a deep corner pool. "I'm heart broken", he said. I lent him my net to fish around in the depths but the fish were gone. What a total bummer....

Moral of the story:
Always pack a plastic bag with you for your catch. If you don't catch anything, you can still haul some garbage away from the river and dispose of it properly.  ;)

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

A little salt on an obvious lesson learned.
Or...
C & R, no bag required...
 except for garbage  ;)

yoda

Better yet, bring a rope and put through both fish to carry. Then if the bag breaks, you are still holding on to your fish.
Hope everyones answer is yes, sounds like a nice kid!

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

i personally use an old belt. wear it for the day and if i need it i just take it off. can wrap it around your hand and makes for easy carrying.