Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 470970 times)

Nicolas The Fisherman

Picture taken around 7:00 this morning.

bigsnag

• Old Timer

Typical post heavy rain syndrome. The flossers will be out in force at the usual spots. The rest of the week we'll be catching fish with hooks stuck all over their bodies. :'(
It ain't the roe bro'

Floater

• Old Timer

Fished the upper river yesterday and had a blast hooking chinook on beads.  Most of the other anglers were snaggers.

Here's a simple guide to help you determine if you're a snagger or not:

If you care more about your swing than your drift...you might be a snagger
If you have a 4-foot leader...you might be a snagger
If you stand on the same rock all day...you might be a snagger.
If you've never even heard of bait...you might be a snagger.
If you snap your rod tip at the end of every drift...you're a snagger
If you only change gear when you break off...you might be a snagger
If you don't really need daylight to catch fish...you might be a snagger.
If most of the fish you catch are foul hooked...you're a snagger
If you KEEP foul-hooked fish...you're definitely a snagger
If you think you're awesome because you still catch fish when the bite is off...you're a snagger
If your favorite thing in the world is when your float lazily flops over...you might be a snagger
If you don't even use a float...you might be a snagger
If bust in and throw your line right on top of other people's so you can "show 'em how it's done"...you're definitely a snagger
If you have a stringer of boot-dark fish...you're a probably a snagger
If you leave all your trash on the bank...you're probably a snagger
If you have no shame and don't even try to hide that you're illegally hooking fish...you're a snagger
If you don't give a crap about wildlife, the law, other people, or anything but yourself...you're definitely a snagger
Did you take the time and voice any of these facts to the these people or just rant it on a forum that will have no impact at all.
[

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

I wish more could be done to crack down on flossers.  Every time I go up there I am in the minority of people who are *actually* fishing.  What really shocks me is the impunity with which it is done, even by "old-timers".  They don't seem to care that they are broadcasting "I AM TRYING TO SNAG A FISH".  Perhaps because so many people do it they think it's a legitimate form of fishing?  It's perplexing.  And of course since snaggers are often getting more action, those that don't know any better are like "I gotta do what that guy's doing".  And a new snagger is born, I guess.

Have some frickin' shame, people.

In the future you should phone the Barbaric Cultural Practices Hot Line, god knows a call to RAPP doesn't produce results.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer

That's hilarious!

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer

River has dropped a foot or so while I was there. Group of 4 of us landed 10 coho and 3 springs, lost another 6 coho and a spring or two. All on big chunks of roe and wool in a side channel. We had about a foot and a half of vis, main river was pretty coloured but cleared up a little bit when I left. Still up and dirty, only a few fishable spots unless you want to join the pocket flossers. 

the_tall_man

Did you take the time and voice any of these facts to the these people or just rant it on a forum that will have no impact at all.

I dunno, YOU seem pretty offended by it.

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....

I think its freaking hilarious. Anyone who feels differently doesnt have a sense of humor

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

96XJ

Well done the_tall_man , that is funny

Floater

• Old Timer

Not offended as you can see i have been on this forum for a very long time, just tired of seeing the same rant over and over again comedic or serious value its old very old.
[

swimmingwiththefishes

I think its useful.Shaming snaggers never hurts especially if its read by a lot of people.Although ideally people would also bring up other big issues(like this election) that effects their fishing.While less in your face than ahole snaggers thisbstuff is equally if not more important.

samw

Witnessed a confrontation this afternoon at 1pm at a bar in the Lower between a group of about 8-10 anglers (same ethnic group) and 2 others.  I was 75 yards downstream so I didn't hear the whole thing except for the shouting.  But this is what I heard happened when I asked someone later.  One angler witnessed someone in this group (who were fishing with questionable ethics such as ripping at the end of the drift) in the midst of retaining a wild coho and he told the guy he should put it back in the river right away.  The angler with questionable ethics went on a tirade and started shouting profanities and became aggressive towards the guy who told him that he should put the wild fish back.  Another man who was out for a walk with his 2 toddlers asked the angry guy to quiet down with the profanities because of the kids to which the response was more aggression and shouting and the 2 went face to face with the angry angler picking up stones with the intent of hitting the father with it.  So at this point, it was like a gang of 10 angler buddies vs 2 other guys so the situation got diffused when the 2 guys left the group of anglers alone.  As the dad walked past me, I could hear him apologize to his kids for having to hear that.   To me, this group of anglers seemed quite threatening and it is almost like a situation where the police should have been called once threats were made.  In any case, most of the group left shortly after that as well.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 12:12:14 AM by samw »

big_fish

• I'm a llama!

What's the ethnic background?

samw

What's the ethnic background?

Hehe.  Deleted the vague ethnic group that I mentioned to avoid tit for tat.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 11:41:44 PM by samw »

baowu2

witnessed a group of 4 (same ethnic group) at mid river that killed 2 springs just to keep the roe. The bodies were dumped back into the river right before they left. 
Besides me asking what they were doing, nobody said a damn word.

All I can say about this ethnic group is, white skin.  don't know where from