Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish River chum salmon spawning in peace, not  (Read 11067 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Squamish River chum salmon spawning in peace, not
« on: November 17, 2008, 11:20:34 AM »

While we anglers fight amongst ourselves about how we should fish, what we should use, how we should handle a released fish, which rivers we should close, we've neglected the uneducated non-fishing public.

Squamish River chum salmon spawning in peace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNqekV60vbE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9J-Bjft79w

dennyman

• Old Timer
Re: Squamish River chum salmon spawning in peace, not
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 11:34:55 AM »

Rod, a link to these videos should be sent to the local CO for that area. Never know he might recognize one of those dim wits and read them the riot act.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 12:00:00 PM »

It looks like the guys bandage is coming off his head. Previous brain injury causing to do that with the fish.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 12:43:26 PM »

Rodney video has been removed

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 12:47:07 PM »

Rodney video has been removed

did you save the video? d/led it? whats the name of the user who uploaded it...

if you use internet explorer - the videos still maybe in your cache rodney...

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 12:52:06 PM »

Its not as bad as some may see it to be. They are obviously not educated in fish habitat. They probably have no idea that they are standing on the redds that are full of eggs. Sure its not a good thing but its far from uncommon.

If they knew what they were doing they probably wouldnt be doing it. We as people are not all educated in every aspect of life.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 01:20:41 PM »

Its not as bad as some may see it to be. They are obviously not educated in fish habitat. They probably have no idea that they are standing on the redds that are full of eggs. Sure its not a good thing but its far from uncommon.

If they knew what they were doing they probably wouldnt be doing it. We as people are not all educated in every aspect of life.

Agreed - I certainly don't condone their behaviours, but I certainly remember a younger, dumber Tex that chased fish in the shallows once or twice.  Feel guilty now, but I know better now.  Had no idea back then.

Dogbreath

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 01:35:55 PM »

I phoned the Report Hotline, I loathe jerks like that.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 02:40:22 PM by Rodney »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 02:12:20 PM »

Video removed ?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 02:14:10 PM »

The intention of showing these videos in the first place is to point out more education on protecting our aquatic resource is needed in the non-fishing public. If we were not fishermen and lacked the schooling on fish biology, we would probably be doing the same thing because it looks fun. Chasing spawning fish causes little damage, but it demonstrates that the general public is disconnected from our fish, which leads to larger damages such as the proposed development around Brohm Creek. We assume that it is common sense for all and neglect outreaching to those who do not fish, while focusing all our energy on how our peers should or should not fish.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 03:13:17 PM »

The intention of showing these videos in the first place is to point out more education on protecting our aquatic resource is needed in the non-fishing public. If we were not fishermen and lacked the schooling on fish biology, we would probably be doing the same thing because it looks fun. Chasing spawning fish causes little damage, but it demonstrates that the general public is disconnected from our fish, which leads to larger damages such as the proposed development around Brohm Creek. We assume that it is common sense for all and neglect outreaching to those who do not fish, while focusing all our energy on how our peers should or should not fish.

This is the best thing I've read this year on the site!
Excellent way to put it Rod!

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 03:35:02 PM »

....If we were not fishermen and lacked the schooling on fish biology, we would probably be doing the same thing because it looks fun.

Bullsh*t!

The only people who disturb other living creatures like that are Born Idiots!-is that how you think of yourself?

....Chasing spawning fish causes little damage...

More bull-are you drunk?

....it demonstrates that the general public is disconnected from our fish, which leads to larger damages such as the proposed development around Brohm Creek...

Apologising for ignorant lawbreaking imbeciles isn't educating anyone.

I can't believe the crap on this thread-there are laws to protect spawning fish they are there for a reason-what if he was shooting spawning fish?

This actually happened in Campbell River where a local was blasting spawning Springs with a large calibre handgun, it took a lot of pressure from a few concerned people-who themselves were mocked/impeded by others-to ensure law enforcement authorities took action.

The same sort of people chase Moose in deep snow with snowmoblies in winter-they think it doesn't hurt them because they're just standing around anyway!

At least 4 people on this thread need to give their shaggy heads a hard hard shake-none of them is me. ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 03:41:56 PM »

Yep, idiotic and drunk. That's me, it's never you. :)

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 12:12:22 PM »

Rodney-I never called you an idiot-stop being disingenuous. ::)

The fact is that you feel chagrined when I point out what you (and a number of other unthinking people) posted was out of line with modern day wild life ethics.

Look at the guy getting beat up on the other thread for mishandling fish in his Ontario made videos-how are his actions any different from the ignorant meathead chasing fish off the redds/grabbing them and dumping them back in shallow water?

If I'd put up a video of someone's dog doing that there's be slobber on the screens of the righteous-maybe no one here remembers the problems with dogs chasing spawning Chum in the lower Squamish but I do-there's a heavy fine for that.

Speaking of heavy fines I think Elliot Stone-and that's the name of the guy in the now deleted video-deserves a 30 day vacation in the government hotel.

So much has been lost and is still being lost-people don't pay attention to nudges and slaps on the wrist-there is no room for temporising and vacillating.

Also-I wasn't drunk yesterday just in a hurry to go to work for 4 o'clock.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 12:39:57 PM »

uhuh
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 09:43:24 AM by dennisK »