Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seymour  (Read 7172 times)

Fonda Fishing

Re: Seymour
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 06:20:48 AM »

Sadly I am usually on a business trip for the events.

I volunteer for the management side of things.

But great to hear you are into helping out!  You just missed the adipose fin clipping for the steelhead.

There is a very important meeting tonight, attend if you can.  The more "fish" people we can get in attendance the better.

Joint Water Use Plan Public Meeting
Should water from the Capilano and Seymour watersheds be used to generate green renewable energy?
Metro Vancouver is developing a Water Use Plan to explore whether and how hydropower generation from existing reservoirs can be accommodated within Metro Vancouver's commitment to sustainable management by:
•    continuing to supply clean, safe drinking water
•    protecting fish habitat
•    adapting to climate variability and climate change.
Join us to learn more and discuss your water use interests and priorities on:
Date:    Tuesday, October 12, 2010
Time:     6:30 - 7:00 p.m. Registration
7:00 - 9:00 p.m. Presentation and open house
138 Victory Ship Way, North Vancouver
For more information, please visit the Metro Vancouver website or call 604-432-6200.
To provide feedback, send your comments by October 29, 2010 to:
E-mail: icentre@metrovancouver.org

Fax: 604-432-6297
Mail: Metro Vancouver, Public Involvement Division
4330 Kingsway, Burnaby B.C. V5H 4G8

There is also some more information below:
Some of you came to a meeting a few months back and this is the first step since then. MVRD has asked that people in the angling and stewardship community on the North Shore suggest possible Consultative Committee (CC) members to represent the groups concerned about Capilano and Seymour Salmon and Steelhead populations and their habitats. The CC itself will include reps from MVRD, DFO and MOE, local govts, First Nations, and various interests.

It is very important that "fish" people show up at this meeting. Metro Vancouver Regional District (MVRD) are (or will be) making application for water license changes and additions. The JWUP process will be exploring flow requirements, fish passage and potential power projects on both rivers.

Living Rivers - Georgia Basin / Vancouver Island has been working on the Steering Committee and co-funding downstream fish passage, monitoring /  tagging and habitat investigations with Metro Vancouver (MVRD) over the past three years. The Squamish FN has members involved in the downstream fish passage and tagging work on the Capilano.

This public meeting covers all aspects / interests that are expected to be covered in the JWUP. There will be "stations" covering various areas.  If you have any questions please let me know. Please spread the word.

Al Lill
Manager, LR-GB/VI
BC Conservation Foundation

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 07:03:53 PM »

Hey Fonda,

Nuts - just got back in from work now and collected your posting - too late was the cry.

Just let me know if there are any other upcoming meetings and I can guarantee 2 people attend!

Cheers
Try the fly!

Fonda Fishing

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 07:21:01 PM »

I actually didn't get to attend myself either...I always have to work late the day before a biz trip.  Not to mention what goes on while i'm away.

Rodney is pretty good at posting Seymour related news on his facebook.  I'm not sure if it gets posted here as well.

So sad to be going out of town...hooked into a big one this morning on my first cast...5 minutes and 3 jumps later I got the lure straight in my forehead!

Not only will I be stuck in ONterible for 10 days, i'll have a bruise in the middle of my forehead to remind me of what I am missing  >:(

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 08:02:19 PM »

Hey Fonda,

ha ha great story but bad news on the forehead eh!  ;D

Pass on my regards to Toron-self important-to if your near!

Be good to catch up on the river when you get back - we have the car in the garage plus a bed delivery, etc this Sat but will DEFINATELY be out with the fly rod on Sunday - though with the last rain forecast as Thursday the local river will be low and clear - so may have to make a judgement call to whip up the valley to the Harrison - will play be ear.

Give us a shout when you get back - our email address goes to a BlackBerry.

Safe flight
Try the fly!

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 02:26:06 AM »

Big seal in Pool 88 the last couple days that's doing a number on the fish moving through.  I wish he "disappeared somehow".

My guess is that no one talks about the Seymour simply because there aren't many fish, few fish it and there aren't too many easily-accessible spots.  Much of the water along Riverside isn't great holding water.  

Neat to hear other people on here volunteer with the hatchery.  I just started  doing that a couple weeks ago.  Hoping to do more soon once they start spawning the fish.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 02:33:58 AM by Matt »

Fonda Fishing

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2010, 06:15:21 AM »

maybe it did...i didn't see it yesterday morning.  or maybe it was still sleeping because it was REALLY early.

i'll let you know if i see it this morning.

patagonia

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2010, 10:43:48 AM »

Matt, sucks to hear about the seal, not a good thing. Just a response on your statement on why people dont normally discus smaller systems like the Seymour on Forums like this... have you ever been to the Vedder or Chehalis the day after someone posts a glory shot of their success on a lesser known run? That run goes from receiving little pressure to being a gong show like the KWB overnight! The fact is people are lazy and a HUGE number of people lurk on these forums waiting for that picture or report of someone else's success through their own hard work, they look for the easy way to get into fish and turn that great run or small system that you have worked hard to find and turn it into a meat hole. I dont get my feathers too ruffled when people post general info on systems like the Seymour/Norrish/Alouette/Coquihalla ect that is what this forum is for... what fish are in the river what time of year ect... the problem is when people post a pic or report with a 12 lb chrome Choho/Stealhead then every idiot on the internet is at that system the next day hammering that small river trying to imitate your success, the Vedder can take that pressure, not a smaller system, it will destroy it...careful what you post, and save the glory shots of that chrome steelhead from that small river for you wall! This is not a shot at you at all Matt... just clarifying why people dont post much from your last post... see you at the Hatchery!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 10:47:38 AM by patagonia »

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2010, 02:14:54 PM »

I agree with that, completely, Patagonia.

I was having a lot of success, all to myself on a smaller local flow.  I posted the report about my success without specifics, and asked if anyone would like to join me, to PM me and I would be glad to show them around.

All I received were PMs from people who have never contributed anything to the forums, except to ask for reports/updates. 

I either didn't respond to them, or told them when/where I could meet them and take them personally if they had time that fit when I was going to be going out.  i.e. I will be at XYZ gas station at X oclock if you would like to join me.

No responses to that offer. 

Sometimes people just want to know what rock you are standing on.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2010, 04:54:35 PM »

It would be nice if the forum was only usable to registered users who contribute regularly, but like it's been said - all you have to do is look at the views for each thread compared to the replies and that speaks for itself  :o

I've never fished the seymour to be honest, i wouldn't mind giving it a go.

Damien if you have such an offer available again i'd take you up on it, it's always nicer to fish with someone else then I'm not just talking to the river or myself haha

Fonda Fishing

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2010, 06:28:06 PM »

Damien if you have such an offer available again i'd take you up on it, it's always nicer to fish with someone else then I'm not just talking to the river or myself haha

or in my case, my dogs  ;)

If people are looking for eating fish, the Seymour is not the river to be on.  The returns this year are about 2/3 wild vs. 1/3 hatchery.

I've only gotten 2 hatchery this year  :'(

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2010, 11:10:05 PM »

or in my case, my dogs  ;)

If people are looking for eating fish, the Seymour is not the river to be on.  The returns this year are about 2/3 wild vs. 1/3 hatchery.

I've only gotten 2 hatchery this year  :'(

Why fish Seymour if you have Capilano next door.
Seymour has no fish to speak of and Cap is excellent.
Unfortunately it's dammed so the fishing depends a lot on the flow.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2010, 03:11:12 AM »

Matt, sucks to hear about the seal, not a good thing. Just a response on your statement on why people dont normally discus smaller systems like the Seymour on Forums like this... have you ever been to the Vedder or Chehalis the day after someone posts a glory shot of their success on a lesser known run? That run goes from receiving little pressure to being a gong show like the KWB overnight! The fact is people are lazy and a HUGE number of people lurk on these forums waiting for that picture or report of someone else's success through their own hard work, they look for the easy way to get into fish and turn that great run or small system that you have worked hard to find and turn it into a meat hole. I dont get my feathers too ruffled when people post general info on systems like the Seymour/Norrish/Alouette/Coquihalla ect that is what this forum is for... what fish are in the river what time of year ect... the problem is when people post a pic or report with a 12 lb chrome Choho/Stealhead then every idiot on the internet is at that system the next day hammering that small river trying to imitate your success, the Vedder can take that pressure, not a smaller system, it will destroy it...careful what you post, and save the glory shots of that chrome steelhead from that small river for you wall! This is not a shot at you at all Matt... just clarifying why people dont post much from your last post... see you at the Hatchery!

Well, unless you're a seal poacher you're not gonna get any info outa my post lol.

IIRC, someone posted a fake report about the Seymour mouth saying that it was getting a huge number of pinks, and the next day the number of people went from zero to dozens  :o  Of course there were no pinks :D

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2010, 03:12:53 AM »

The thing I don't like about the Cap, is the numbers of people and the damm dam causing huge fluctionations overnight.

Fonda Fishing

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2010, 12:54:37 PM »

Because the Seymour is directly in my backyard and I volunteer for the board of the Seymour Salmonid Society.

Also, i'm not one for crowds on the Cap  :P

Fish Slayer

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2010, 01:16:37 PM »

You guys read too far into adriatricums post I think...

Rohn when are we going to meet up? Would be fun times I think.